Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

ejvette ,,,,,,,,

we will have the new J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" speakers for the 2014s in late February ((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....CRK-6652TW-RXX ,,,,,

but for now you can get a real 7-9 db increase in sound over stock just by adding the J&M ROKKER XTP "or" Performance series amplifier kits ,,,,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-ULP ,,,,,,,,, and http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=JAMP-250HC14P ,,,,,, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=JMAA-1800HC14 ,,,,,,

GlidingJoe ,,,,,,,,,

with the J&M ROKKER XTP DSP controlled amps for the 2014, you do not need the Harley digital flash ,,,,, HOWEVER if you do get the Harley flash, J&M will have a specific amp DSP download to work together with the Harley update ,,,,,,,

either way the performance difference is very significant with the J&M amps ,,,,,, see

POLYFILL on the new 2014s ? ,,,,,, not needed, as the new acoustic fairing enclosures take away the need for additional dampening material ,,,,,,,

Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So while they were doing the clutch recall I had them flash for an amp install (my amp is not a harley amp) and now I have no rear speakers- I called and the tech said he flashed it for use with four speakers and he believes they were all working. They haven't worked since I got the bike back. If I put my ear to the rears I can hear a slight static in the speakers and that's it. Any thoughts? All wiring looks exactly as it always has and they were all four working fine before I had them flash it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
So while they were doing the clutch recall I had them flash for an amp install (my amp is not a harley amp) and now I have no rear speakers- I called and the tech said he flashed it for use with four speakers and he believes they were all working. They haven't worked since I got the bike back. If I put my ear to the rears I can hear a slight static in the speakers and that's it. Any thoughts? All wiring looks exactly as it always has and they were all four working fine before I had them flash it.
The fade control is set to center, right? (Thinking the tech may have inadvertently changed the control to full front?). I've had friends do that to their systems w/o realizing & then complain their rear speakers inexplicably quit working..... Beyond that, IDK?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

Fade control is in the center=- All wiring looks perfect, I'm not one to believe in coincidence so I'm going to have them re-flash. I'm thinking that either he flashed it for two speakers or somehow the flash doesn't like the non harley amp. One or the other so I'll stop in on my way home tomorrow and see.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine flashed today and I have the same problem. It's a software issue. Tech confirmed there were several bugs that were being dealt with. Taking mine back over to the dealer the end of the week to have him re-flash it.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

That's good to know- are you going to have them flash it as if it doesn't have an amp? essentially putting it back as it was before until bugs are worked out?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
That's good to know- are you going to have them flash it as if it doesn't have an amp? essentially putting it back as it was before until bugs are worked out?
I don't know honestly. I'll see what my tech thinks is the best route. I just want my rear speaks back

Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Ok little update on my set up. I don't have the full report yet but I will post it soon after I get it together. My set up consists of the following:

Amp- Biketronics BT4180
Front fairing speakers- Biketronics Titan II 6.5 (modified to fit in 2014)
Rear Fairing Speakers- Kicker CS67 6 3/4

Initial install was easy, and when done the sound was incredible. VERY loud. During testing in the garage, parking lot and on a short ride I was in anyway looking for more volume. I had all that I could need and then some, regardless of speed. Additionally the bass I had with this set up was not only great, but surprisingly present during riding conditions. I only had the bass turned up three notches over center or flat. I attribute this to the speaker pods, poly fill, and the bass tubes Harley put into the tour pack. Those rear speakers kicked nicely (no pun intended) being able to breath all that air inside the tour pack. What I did notice, and so did my service rep and service tech, was that the kickers in the rear seemed to be putting out more sound than the fronts. I think this may have a great deal to do with the size of the front speaker pods and the poly fill. I may have added to much, or the overall size of the pods is really restricting the ability of those big titans to breathe. I have a set of scan speak 4.3" acoustical vents that I will probably install this week and see if they help. I also could tell that the internal DSP in the radio was messing with the sound as when you turn it up way loud, there is some noticeable distortion. I could tell it was affecting the sound profile as based on the song and instrumental parts of it, it would get louder or softer. You really need to put on some dynamic music and sit on the bike listen.

All that being said, I went to my dealer today to get the radio flashed to work with an amp. I didn't realize it immediately, but the flash took out my rear speakers. It's 100% a software issue. My service tech said that there are a few different flashes that are for use with an amp (this limits the role the DSP can play) and he's going to try those when I got back in a day or two. He did say there were a few bugs in the software flashes and HD was working on getting them fixed.

I spoke at length about this will Bill at Biketronics and he assured me that the flash was necessary and does improve the sound quality quite a bit. I believe he had said on the test bike (running the same set up as I am) it had been flashed for the CVO amp set up (2amps). I'll keep you all posted as to the progress.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
John,
I see you now have downloads for your AMP's for the '14 touring.
Does your download take place of the OE download for the infotainment system when installing an amp, or is that still required?
That HD DSP setup is designed specifically for their own speakers. Just another way to try and lock you into buying their crappy product. You have 2 choices, 1- do as John has done and manipulate your own product's programming to compensate for the HD DSP or 2 - have HD turn it off with the flash which apparently isn't working so well at the moment.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Ok little update on my set up. I don't have the full report yet but I will post it soon after I get it together. My set up consists of the following:

Amp- Biketronics BT4180
Front fairing speakers- Biketronics Titan II 6.5 (modified to fit in 2014)
Rear Fairing Speakers- Kicker CS67 6 3/4

Initial install was easy, and when done the sound was incredible. VERY loud. During testing in the garage, parking lot and on a short ride I was in anyway looking for more volume. I had all that I could need and then some, regardless of speed. Additionally the bass I had with this set up was not only great, but surprisingly present during riding conditions. I only had the bass turned up three notches over center or flat. I attribute this to the speaker pods, poly fill, and the bass tubes Harley put into the tour pack. Those rear speakers kicked nicely (no pun intended) being able to breath all that air inside the tour pack. What I did notice, and so did my service rep and service tech, was that the kickers in the rear seemed to be putting out more sound than the fronts. I think this may have a great deal to do with the size of the front speaker pods and the poly fill. I may have added to much, or the overall size of the pods is really restricting the ability of those big titans to breathe. I have a set of scan speak 4.3" acoustical vents that I will probably install this week and see if they help. I also could tell that the internal DSP in the radio was messing with the sound as when you turn it up way loud, there is some noticeable distortion. I could tell it was affecting the sound profile as based on the song and instrumental parts of it, it would get louder or softer. You really need to put on some dynamic music and sit on the bike listen.

All that being said, I went to my dealer today to get the radio flashed to work with an amp. I didn't realize it immediately, but the flash took out my rear speakers. It's 100% a software issue. My service tech said that there are a few different flashes that are for use with an amp (this limits the role the DSP can play) and he's going to try those when I got back in a day or two. He did say there were a few bugs in the software flashes and HD was working on getting them fixed.

I spoke at length about this will Bill at Biketronics and he assured me that the flash was necessary and does improve the sound quality quite a bit. I believe he had said on the test bike (running the same set up as I am) it had been flashed for the CVO amp set up (2amps). I'll keep you all posted as to the progress.
I understand there are so many flashes this radio can have with configuration and all, I also read that the Boom Amp Upgrade when installed and using HD flashes," By-Passes the Internal radio amp and utilizing the remote amp only.. Is it possible that if you have the flash installed, that most dealers are familiar with for the Boom Amp upgrade, and it is no longer using all output from the radio, only the front two, and then letting the amp provide splitting and fading.. Thus if you have your configuration wired using all four speaker outputs to your amp's, the rears are shut down. Not sure but could this be what is happening and losing rears... As it was mentioned here as well, Bill at Biketronics said they used the flash for a CVO using a two amp system..
As Everyone has mentioned.. they are trying to build a system that only they can upgrade and all...

Last edited by GlidingJoe; 11-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread