Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Over the winter I install a J&M Rokker XT 250 Watt amp on my 2014 FLHXS. I had the upgraded Boom audio HD speakers installed when I got the bike. They sounded great, rich full sound. Last weekend one of the Boom Speakers gave up the ghost. Guess the 125 watts per channel was to much for them. So I purchased a pair of the new Rokker 6.65" speakers from J&M and installed them. Now I am not sure whether it is the DSP in the HD tuner or what, but the sound out of the Rokker speakers are not nearly as full range as the Boom HD speakers. Also the volume is much lower on the Rokkers.
Anyone have the same outcome?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

if the amp is the XT-P 250 then you might want to check with John to see if there is another DSP program available for it that you can download as I'm pretty sure when you ordered initially that you specified you had boom speakers.

Surprised those BA speakers lasted as long as they did because they are rated for VERY low power handling abilities.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:16 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12Iron883
I finally have FULL sound!!! No more tinny audio when at speed!!! Installed the cycle sounds "Magic Box" and I finally have the sound I have been searching for. I tried EVERYTHING. I ported the speaker enclosures. I tried 3 amps and 3 sets of speakers. I flashed the HU. I literally tried everything. No matter what I did I had the same results. Amazing sound when in my garage, but tinny when I was moving. Once I installed the magic box from cycle sounds I was happy. I was very skeptical at first. I called and spoke with Ed at cycle sounds and he explained why and how it would allow the stock HU to produce continuous full sound. They just put the magic box on the market and I figured I would give them some props for all their R&D on this product. Well worth the $70. My final system ended up being JL Audio XD200/2, Hertz ECX 6.5, and the magic box to bring it all together. Thanks again Ed!!!

Edit: I also removed the front fairing speaker grills and used pollyfill.
im having the same issue. i did not get to the dealer yet to flash. but based on your review i also just purchased the magic box and hope it helps.

thanks again for the information

Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 AM
12Iron883
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njstreetglide
im having the same issue. i did not get to the dealer yet to flash. but based on your review i also just purchased the magic box and hope it helps.

thanks again for the information

Glad I could help! You shouldn't even need the flash now. Now that I have the magic box installed I can actually set my gains correctly. I had to keep it set at minimum before the magic box instal.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 12Iron883
Glad I could help! You shouldn't even need the flash now. Now that I have the magic box installed I can actually set my gains correctly. I had to keep it set at minimum before the magic box instal.
right now my gain is between 4-5 but i can turn the volume all the way up and still feel as though it could be louder.

hope this thing helps.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM
JTNC
Stage II
Default Finally flashed

Originally Posted by njstreetglide
right now my gain is between 4-5 but i can turn the volume all the way up and still feel as though it could be louder.

hope this thing helps.
Finally had my radio flashed while getting my 1k mile service yesterday. 1 amp/ 2 speakers.

IMO it was a major improvement. MY set up is the PBR300x2 and Infinitys. You will have to have a remote wire to the amp after the flash. I didn't have a remote wire and the technician said "it ain't gonna work" and removed the flash because it wouldn't play after the flash.. I knew what the problem was and told him to flash it and I would fix the problem (adding remote wire) when I got home. Added the remote wire and the amp came to life.

Before I had major distortion even at low volume levels and had to run the amp in HP with most bass tuned out.

I was able to turn my gains up to between 6 and 7 in AP. I can now add bass through the stereo control and the sound is much improved.

I still think the sound could be a little richer so I'm going to try the magic box anyway just for the hell of it.

Overall the flash worked for me.

Last edited by JTNC; 06-04-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JTNC
Finally had my radio flashed while getting my 1k mile service yesterday. 1 amp/ 2 speakers.

IMO it was a mojor improvement. MY set up is the PBR300x2 and Infinitys. You will have to have a remote wire to the amp after the flash. I didn't have a remote wire and the technician said "it ain't gonna work" and removed the flash because it wouldn't play after the flash.. I knew what the problem was and told him to flash it and I would fix the problem (adding remote wire) when I got home. Added the remote wire and the amp came to life.

Before I had major distortion even at low volume levels and had to run the amp in HP with most bass tuned out.

I was able to turn my gains up to between 6 and 7 in AP. I can now add bass through the stereo control and the sound is much imporved.

I still think the sound could be a little richer so I'm going to try the magic box anyway just for the hell of it.

Overall the flash worked for me.
I do believe that with the addition of the magic box, it's recommended to not have a flash done. The flash also takes away much needed bass response on these systems.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM
JTNC
Stage II

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I do believe that with the addition of the magic box, it's recommended to not have a flash done. The flash also takes away much needed bass response on these systems.
If thats the case I may get it flashed back then to try the magic box out.

My issue was before flash - too much bass even with audio levels neutral, amp in HP with Freq around 120hz (anymore and would get bass distortion). The sound was "hissy". All this of course trying to get the gains high enough to be able to hear it at 75mph. I could have lowered the gain and tuned it in but it wasn't loud enough.

After the flash running the amp in AP I can increase the bass through the audio adjustments to about 3/4 bar and get pretty good sound. It has lost the "hissy".

Jeez, I've been installing my own car audio for years and harley sure makes this difficult.

Last edited by JTNC; 06-04-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

WildX ,,,,,,,

U/N is correct ,,,,, with the new J&M 6.65" ROKKER XX speakers, you need the latest DSP software download for those into your ROKKER XTP amplifier ,,,,,,, and it makes a BIG DIFFERENCE in both volume and frequency response ,,,,,,

the DSP software you have in there now was done for the Harley Ka-Boom speakers, and I tried to be as easy on them as I could, but evidently they still did not hold up ,,,,,,,

did you purchase the ROKKER DSP dongle for the amp ? ,,,, if yes, I can send the new software pack to you by email ,,, send request to john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

if NO ,,, what state is the bike in right now ?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM
mduncan62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a link to this magic box?

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread