Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:29 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kh24
I mean just from the looks of it, it looks like any other $10 line output converter that you can buy.
Pretty much from what I see. You're more or less paying for the convenience of having the correct HD connectors (front rear or both) already mated to it.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 AM
B BAD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh24
Has anyone actually opened up a magic box to see what is inside of it? I mean just from the looks of it, it looks like any other $10 line output converter that you can buy. I was a professional car audio installer for 10 years so I am skeptical about a lot of this motorcycle audio equipment. I do know it is more challenging with a smaller battery and less of a charging system than a car has. Also the open air environment does nothing but hurt sound quality. I am thinking about doing the JL HD 600/4 amp, if it will fit, and the JL C5 coaxial speakers on my SGS
Sounds good. Let me know how that works out?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 AM
JTNC110
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I too don't see how this is possible without destroying the "structure" of the pods.

Those speakers won't hold up to much power for sure.
FYI to all.

I installed my Infinity's on the inside of the pod.

The pods are constructed in two halves. When you remove the pods you will notice 4 or 5 torx screws holding the two halves together. The speaker has to be rotated a specific orientation so that the terminals clear the pod but it works. This installation allows you to install them without the boom grills. This left about a 1/4" gap between the pod and the innier fairing (the space previously filled by the speaker ring mounted on the outside). I filled this gap with the foam tape that came with the speakers.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JTNC110
FYI to all.

The pods are constructed in two halves. When you remove the pods you will notice 4 or 5 torx screws holding the two halves together. The speaker has to be rotated a specific orientation so that the terminals clear the pod but it works. This installation allows you to install them without the boom grills. This left about a 1/4" gap between the pod and the innier fairing (the space previously filled by the speaker ring mounted on the outside). I filled this gap with the foam tape that came with the speakers.
good to know.. thank you both for sharing that piece of information.

Do you by chance have pics?
which infinity speakers did you install please?
do you think a deeper speaker will fit in there?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Interesting....time will tell on how that will work lout for him. I haven't had my pods off in while, but I don't see how he would have done that without modifying the pods. If my memory serves me, the mounting ring wouldn't pass through the hole in the pod, therefore he would have had to cut it. That being said, there also needs to be enough clearing around the speaker for the cone to move. If thats making contact anywhere on that pod, it will kill it quick. Also I hope he not running a moderately powered amp with those speakers...they aren't very stout.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer here, but if this was a viable mounting option, I would think that Biketronics, Hawg Wired, Cycle Sounds, J&M, Bagger Nation and the like would have figured that out already....

Todd-your take on this???
i mounted my infinity kappas inside of my pods. i took the pods apart and they fit perfectly without any modifications to the pod and i DID NOT need to get new grills.

was given this idea from another member on this forum.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JTNC110
FYI to all.

i did the same thing i have infinity kappa 62.11i

Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 AM
indwind34
Novice

Originally Posted by njstreetglide
i did the same thing i have infinity kappa 62.11i
Good to hear that it IS in fact possible. How does it sound?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by indwind34
Good to hear that it IS in fact possible. How does it sound?
still waiting for new rca cables from rockford once i get them i will be installing the magic box.

never flashed the HU

im happy with the way they fit did not have to worry about the tweeter hitting the grill or the rubber around the woofer hitting the fairing.

it will hopefully sound great once my magic box is installed. i will let you know once its done. i just better get the part in this week before laconia

Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
sandmhale
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monty or Ultra...I remember reading in this forum that different amps can cuase a loss of FM reception. I don't understand why that is, but I trust you guys since you have a lot more knowledge than I do on the new Rushmore audio systems. I'm looking at the PBR 300X2 amp with Polk MM651 speakers as a pretty affordable yet good sounding upgrade. I use FM radio quiet a bit so I'm concerned with a loss of reception. Is that amp going to be a problem? Is there a better option for speakers under $150?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sandmhale
Monty or Ultra...I remember reading in this forum that different amps can cuase a loss of FM reception. I don't understand why that is, but I trust you guys since you have a lot more knowledge than I do on the new Rushmore audio systems. I'm looking at the PBR 300X2 amp with Polk MM651 speakers as a pretty affordable yet good sounding upgrade. I use FM radio quiet a bit so I'm concerned with a loss of reception. Is that amp going to be a problem? Is there a better option for speakers under $150?
The PBR amps do not cause FM reception issues.

Check out the Infinity 62.11I speakers. With all the issues of the Polk tweeter stalks causing issues, I'm hesitant to recommend them any longer even though I ran them for almost 3 years with no issues.

The only amps that you run the risk of FM issues with are anything labeled as Class D amps. Now with that said, both Biketronics and J&M have stated that their Class D amps do not cause FM interference.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread