Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reckelss batwing, RF amp wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Reckelss batwing, RF amp wiring questions

Finally getting around to buttoning up the winters project. Sony BT receiver, RF Punch are the components. UltraNutz told me a while ago to tap into an orange/red wire behind the headlight on my Road King for the amp's switched power source. I see a sort of faded, orangey, yellowish striped wire, that's it or is it deeper behind the light?
So once again I'm not sure if I'm choosing the correct wire to splice into for the switched power, (red wire from the BT stereo).
Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Finally getting around to buttoning up the winters project. Sony BT receiver, RF Punch are the components. UltraNutz told me a while ago to tap into an orange/red wire behind the headlight on my Road King for the amp's switched power source. I see a sort of faded, orangey, yellowish striped wire, that's it or is it deeper behind the light?
So once again I'm not sure if I'm choosing the correct wire to splice into for the switched power, (red wire from the BT stereo).
Thanks
Dene, are you using the speaker wire inputs to the amp or the RCA inputs?

if you're using speaker wire inputs, no need to connect the rem wire on the amp. The speaker leads will turn the amp off and on as needed.

if you're using RCA inputs, then yes sir you'll need to connect the rem wire on the amp. Does that "faded, orangey, yellowish" striped wire have a red rubber cap on it? If so that's your wire.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Dene, are you using the speaker wire inputs to the amp or the RCA inputs?

if you're using speaker wire inputs, no need to connect the rem wire on the amp. The speaker leads will turn the amp off and on as needed.

if you're using RCA inputs, then yes sir you'll need to connect the rem wire on the amp. Does that "faded, orangey, yellowish" striped wire have a red rubber cap on it? If so that's your wire.
Oh jeeze, now I'm really mixed up.
First, I can tell you I cut the RCA connectors and soldered the wires, (high level input). So on the side of the RF amp, there is the ground, power and the REM. I ran 10g wire right back to the battery with a fuse and that is what plugs into the amp's + and -. Now you're saying I don't need the REM going down to the switched power behind the headlight. The only orangy wire I can see behind the headlight doesn't have a cap on it, it is in use and goes into the plug for the light itself UltraNutZ??
Then there is 3 wires on the back of the BT receiver, yellow (+), black (-), and red (acc), those I was going to tie into the 10g going into the amp correct?
Thanks very much

Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Oh jeeze, now I'm really mixed up.
First, I can tell you I cut the RCA connectors and soldered the wires, (high level input). So on the side of the RF amp, there is the ground, power and the REM. I ran 10g wire right back to the battery with a fuse and that is what plugs into the amp's + and -. Now you're saying I don't need the REM going down to the switched power behind the headlight. The only orangy wire I can see behind the headlight doesn't have a cap on it, it is in use and goes into the plug for the light itself UltraNutZ??
Then there is 3 wires on the back of the BT receiver, yellow (+), black (-), and red (acc), those I was going to tie into the 10g going into the amp correct?
Thanks very much
ok here's what you want to do sir.
  1. run the speaker wire outputs from the head unit as you have by cutting the RCA connector off the amp. so that's correct.
  2. by doing the above you DO NOT connect the REM wire to anything at all. your speaker wire inputs will take care of turning the amp off and on as needed
  3. you've run your 10ga power and ground wires back to the battery location so that's correct
  4. On the back of the receiver. Yellow goes to battery (this is what keeps the memory in your radio)
  5. red goes to a switched source so your radio turns off and on with the ignition switch. On the road kings, I'm relatively certain there is an orange wire with a white stripe on it for accessory in the nacelle. Use a test light of digital meter to find it
  6. the yellow wire you can connect to the same wire used for +B on your amp
  7. the black wire you can connect to the same -B wire on the amp

ah, and I just realized you're in BC. in that case you're correct in saying that orange white wire is used already. Here in the states it's not. Simply tap into that same wire sir for your accessory (red wire on the head unit).

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 04-15-2014 at 11:05 AM.