Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My audio tale of woe

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Chucks1911
Supporter
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My audio tale of woe

Started off with the stock setup on my bike. Not good enough. Had my indy install some boom speakers in the fairing when I had him do bars. I tackled the tough job of putting the new ones in the tour pac. I thought that the left front one was blown (turned out it wasnt, just sounded like it), so I do some more shopping.

Pick up the popular BT 7.1s for the fairing, MM651s for the tour pac, and the SS PN4.520 amp and get the same indy to install it. Sounds good as I head out for Gettysburg (1500 mile trip), until the second day. Then start having the same issue with the left front speaker, sounds like crap, popping, cracking, and distortion. Comes and goes as I hit bumps, acts like a bad connection.

I take it back to the same indy, telling him that theres a bad connection, or something similar. He just calls me after having it for a week and tells me he can find nothing wrong, other than it doesnt seem "as loud" as it was when he first installed it all. He makes sure to complain about having "to hack into the factory wiring harness to hook up that car amp". He said that he adjusted the gain down a bit.

I want to keep the HK radio, as I want to keep the handlebar controls. I'd really like to find someone somewhat local to fix what I consider to be a mess. I know that I really dont want to fool with it myself, but will if I have to. I've built motors, transmissions, etc for years but really dont want to fool with all that wiring inside that fairing!

Anybody have any ideas? Other than not to take it back to the same indy?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:26 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 581 Likes on 272 Posts

Have you looked into the new Jensen, it is plug and play AND allows you to retain use of your handle bar controls.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Chucks1911
Supporter

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Have you looked into the new Jensen, it is plug and play AND allows you to retain use of your handle bar controls.
Nope. My memories of Jensen are right up there with Kraco. I'm sure that things may have changed by now though.

Is it a marine radio? What model are you referring to?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Ask him to make sure the filter switch is seated in the FULL position. Not saying that's the problem but it could be as I experienced the same thing when I first installed my PN4 and that solved it. I even put a piece of electrical tape over the switch so it couldn't move.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 581 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucks1911
Nope. My memories of Jensen are right up there with Kraco. I'm sure that things may have changed by now though.

Is it a marine radio? What model are you referring to?

Its a Jensen in name only, I think its made by a reputable company named ASA or something. Here is a thread that goes into a lot of detail about it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ide-today.html

This should get you going in the right direction.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be a bad speaker - maybe the voice coil is starting to go?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,

I have this on my bike and I still have handlebar controls. Volume, changing stations, songs, all of that. Sony also makes a unit that allows handlebar controls.

Get the plug 'n' play installation kit from Biketronics and it will sound great. They even include a weather proof cover for the radio. Face is detacheable as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Started off with the stock setup on my bike. Not good enough. Had my indy install some boom speakers in the fairing when I had him do bars. I tackled the tough job of putting the new ones in the tour pac. I thought that the left front one was blown (turned out it wasnt, just sounded like it), so I do some more shopping.

Pick up the popular BT 7.1s for the fairing, MM651s for the tour pac, and the SS PN4.520 amp and get the same indy to install it. Sounds good as I head out for Gettysburg (1500 mile trip), until the second day. Then start having the same issue with the left front speaker, sounds like crap, popping, cracking, and distortion. Comes and goes as I hit bumps, acts like a bad connection.

I take it back to the same indy, telling him that theres a bad connection, or something similar. He just calls me after having it for a week and tells me he can find nothing wrong, other than it doesnt seem "as loud" as it was when he first installed it all. He makes sure to complain about having "to hack into the factory wiring harness to hook up that car amp". He said that he adjusted the gain down a bit.

I want to keep the HK radio, as I want to keep the handlebar controls. I'd really like to find someone somewhat local to fix what I consider to be a mess. I know that I really dont want to fool with it myself, but will if I have to. I've built motors, transmissions, etc for years but really dont want to fool with all that wiring inside that fairing!

Anybody have any ideas? Other than not to take it back to the same indy?
Most local indy's are clueless when it comes to audio on a bike. You would be better off reading THIS FORUM and getting some advice from the gurus here and installing yourself. If you can work on transmissions and motors you can install your stereo. You can start by reading the Ultranutz install sticky at the top of the audio forum.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Chucks1911
Supporter

Wiring has always been my arch nemesis.

I actually printed out Ultra's instructions for the Indy.

Picked up the bike yesterday. It actually sounds better, still not as good as I expect with the components I have. The Indy said that the problems are the car amp and the cheap fairing speakers (BT 7.1s) . He said that he had to set the gain very low to keep the front speakers from distorting. That the front ones can only handle about half the power of the rear (Polk MM651s).

He's limited in his stereo work to replacing stock stuff with plug and play J&M stuff.

I think I'll start shopping for a head unit that will allow me to keep the handlebar controls. And maybe for someone to do the work that knows what he is doing and isn't too far away.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Wiring has always been my arch nemesis.

I actually printed out Ultra's instructions for the Indy.

Picked up the bike yesterday. It actually sounds better, still not as good as I expect with the components I have. The Indy said that the problems are the car amp and the cheap fairing speakers (BT 7.1s) . He said that he had to set the gain very low to keep the front speakers from distorting. That the front ones can only handle about half the power of the rear (Polk MM651s).

He's limited in his stereo work to replacing stock stuff with plug and play J&M stuff.

I think I'll start shopping for a head unit that will allow me to keep the handlebar controls. And maybe for someone to do the work that knows what he is doing and isn't too far away.
Wow. . . I hear you brother. In regard to your Indy. . . The old folks used to say if you can't say something nice about a person Don't say nothing at all. You have some of the best speakers you can have on a Bike with the 7.1's They are water resistant, they have a lifetime warranty and they sound DAM good if set up properly and more importantly No way in hell they are "Cheap" speakers. I also have to call BS on the "car amp" thing. An Amp is an Amp. The 520.D is an excellent amp for your application. Your components are good to go. Your Indy? Another story. You are heading in the right direction with the new head unit. It will make a world of difference. Good luck my man!

Last edited by Gannicus; 07-27-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: My audio tale of woe