Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown PBR

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Brew61
Well took the bike out for a short ride today and found out the FM sucks with the new amp. I even installed JM’s hidden antenna along with another hidden antenna that I had before that worked great with the RF amp. I heard that JM’s hidden antenna was the best out there so I figured with the D class amp I would add it just to see if it would help me out but no go. Little disappointed in that because I do listen to FM while riding back and forth to work, just to stay on top of things going on in traffic and other things.
So I may be looking at trying a different amp. Being an aftermarket fairing, I do have lots of room under there for different sizes, so back to the drawing board for a good 4 ch amp.

Open to any ideas under $200

Bruce
Bruce - The next range for an amp that is suitable for your needs won't be in the 200.00 range unless you go with another PBR300X2. After the RZ4 and the SS 520.D There is the Arc KS 125.4 for about $350.00. Might be able to find it a little cheaper on e-Bay. Bottom line. Assume ALL the class D amps are going to cause you to lose radio reception. That leaves you with either the PBR or the Biketronics amps. If you want your FM back it's going to cost you a little more than 200.00 bucks. Surprisingly enough there are only a few amps out there that are forum certified., especially if you want to keep FM.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks but ya I think I will not take another chance on a D class amp. There has to be something out there that will be good that does not have RF on it.

If my experience with the customer service would of been better I would have no problem going back to a RF amp. But because they have decide to treat their customers like crap I will go with a different brand. That also had a lot to do with their attitude on the phone as well.

Bruce

Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Thanks but ya I think I will not take another chance on a D class amp. There has to be something out there that will be good that does not have RF on it.

If my experience with the customer service would of been better I would have no problem going back to a RF amp. But because they have decide to treat their customers like crap I will go with a different brand. That also had a lot to do with their attitude on the phone as well.

Bruce
Totally understand my man! Good luck in your search!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try it without the hidden antenna. Powered antennas can amplify interference.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Brew61
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Try it without the hidden antenna. Powered antennas can amplify interference.

Neither one of these hidden antenna's are powered. The original one I had when I installed the stereo a few months back was just a cheap one off of E-Bay but it worked great with the RF amp. Then when I went with the D class amp I figured that I would try out the JM's antenna and with there's you can also keep your old one hooked up so I went that route. I figured why not two must be better then one. But ya major static on most of all the stations.

Bruce

Old 08-16-2014, 06:09 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Neither one of these hidden antenna's are powered. The original one I had when I installed the stereo a few months back was just a cheap one off of E-Bay but it worked great with the RF amp. Then when I went with the D class amp I figured that I would try out the JM's antenna and with there's you can also keep your old one hooked up so I went that route. I figured why not two must be better then one. But ya major static on most of all the stations.

Bruce
Not all class D amps block FM. Mostly it's the more inexpensive ones. They were never designed for where we mount them.

Arc, J&M, and Biketronics don't have FM interference problems and they are class D.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Not all class D amps block FM. Mostly it's the more inexpensive ones. They were never designed for where we mount them.

Arc, J&M, and Biketronics don't have FM interference problems and they are class D.
Pioneer, Arc mini amps are class G/H, designed by Robert Zeff and I think the JM amps are rebranded Arc amps...so they are G/H as well! So no interference with FM...but if your gonna spend $350 for an Arc amp you should got with the BT 2180... ask me how I know lol.

Last edited by Moto Mike; 08-16-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Interesting. Didn't know they were G/H, but knew they were clones.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Interesting. Didn't know they were G/H, but knew they were clones.
Yeah, not smart enough to know technical difference between Class D and G/H but I do know the Arc amp would get warm. I had the older version, (no fan) and the newer version came out with a built in fan.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Brew61
Cruiser

Been searching amps, reading specs and trying to find one that is 4 ch., not a D class and in a small size. Also trying to stay around the $200 mark. What I have found is this

Audiopipe APMR-4090MIN at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_81660_Audiopipe-APMR-4090MIN.html
Now it meets all the requirements as in size, cost, not D Class, and the power is not too bad even if they inflated it a bit.

Now have not been able to find any reviews on it except one and the guy was more than pleased with it. I have never heard of the brand and don’t really understand specs so not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce

Quick Reply: Blown PBR