Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch changing modes on HK head unit- Mode key inop

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Question Ignition switch changing modes on HK head unit- Mode key inop

I had Iron Cross add preamps and Bluetooth to my HK head unit, since my Sony MEX-GS610BT decided to stop functioning about 2 months after installing it (all buttons would do nothing, to include faceplate and hand controls). I got the HK back and installed it last night. The preamps & BT work great, however - I can't change sources using the MODE key on the right grip. BUT, when I switch the Ignition on or between "IGN" and "ACC", THAT will trigger the next available source on the head unit. The "mode" key doesn't seem to do anything except SOMETIMES triggering the FM band to go into "scan"- it won't enter "preset scan" mode, just sets the radio to running up the frequencies. I did run the onboard diagnostics, and all that came up was the open speaker errors, which is expected since the SS PN4.520D is what the speakers are connected to.

FYI: I have the BOOM! XM module and HDPDPLUS (v1) attached, and they both function and appear as sources - the problem is I have to keep rolling through the sources using the ignition switch, and if I catch the source I want when I go to "ACC", that means I have to switch on/off four to six times to get BACK to the source I want while I am actually in "IGN" mode...very annoying!

As an aside, the deck hasn't been on my bike since the fall of last year- I swapped it out for the Sony/BT combo while I installed the painted inner fairing. Oddly enough, despite being on a shelf for nearly a year, all my presets for both FM and XM were still present. Interesting that the deck has ROM for memory functions.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Good reason to buy a new 2015 model LOL....

I would assume you ripped out the BT100x right... and connect the (audio) harness connector straight into the HK...

you got apes/monkey?

I would check the connector... but other than that I would not have a clue...

it does "feel" like a wiring issue to me

Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Yep, BT1005 is out, the right handlebar switch SEEMS okay (but I obviously don't have the breakout box referenced in the electronics manual)- I have turn signals, run/start, though since I haven't ridden yet I can't check the cruise for proper operation.

I have to wonder why the power cycling is causing the shift in sources...

Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Slight update:

So when I got home from work tonight, I continued with the work. I did the "ROM Reset" procedure, pulled the fuses for memory and radio, then yanked the main fuse so I could re-route the amp negative cable from the neck to the battery direct. I also re-routed the original HDPDPLUS cable under the console so I can change it if necessary (they seem to be problematic) without yanking the tank.

ALL THAT, and now the "Mode/Sel" button WORKS! However, pushing UP on the button doesn't work, but pushing down to scroll down through channels on radio (or to go back on the iPod) DOES work. At least now I'm able to run through the sources (AM/FM/WB/AUX/XM/IPod).

Now I'm of the opinion that the Mode/Sel switch itself might be broken, but we'll see how things go when I'm actually running (still haven't taken the bike out). Changing between "IGN" and "ACC" no longer flips to the next source- it stays on the source currently playing (as it should). Starting/turning the bike off also is not changing the source, so perhaps whatever gremlin was lurking left. I do question the "reset" process though- because the reset AND pulling the radio memory fuse did NOT wipe out any of the presets from FM/XM. I would have expected a "ROM Reset" to wipe out the preset stations on the ROM..but I guess I don't understand where presets get stored.

One other problem/issue: when I turned the unit off using the "On" button (necessary to reset the clock), I got a loud "POP" through the speakers a second or two after power-down. This is AFTER moving the ground directly to the battery (10 gauge wire). I re-seated the power lead while I was working as well. The Remote turn-on lead is tapped into the orange/black wire on the headlight loom. Not sure where the POP would be coming from in this instance, as none of the wiring is hitting bare metal (the ground re-wire let me verify this). Since I'm not likely to power off the deck with the switch (I have tunes going whenever the bike is running, generally), perhaps that's an anomaly I can live with, but it can't be good for the system, so if anyone has an idea on that issue, let me know!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 AM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vhmike73
Slight update:

now the "Mode/Sel" button WORKS! However, pushing UP on the button doesn't work, but pushing down to scroll down through channels on radio (or to go back on the iPod) DOES work. At least now I'm able to run through the sources (AM/FM/WB/AUX/XM/IPod).

Now I'm of the opinion that the Mode/Sel switch itself might be broken, but we'll see how things go when I'm actually running

Yeah....so much for that. I started the bike this morning, and the same symptoms as when I put the unit back on the bike returned: "Mode/Sel" does nothing, and the whole 20 mile ride in, the source randomly changed at least 6 times; sometimes settling on AM, sometimes on the HDPDPLUS (and the iPod didn't actually PLAY, it just showed the main screen (HDPDPLUS v1.1), then to WB, then to AUX, etc. When it ended up on XM, I'm getting "Check Antenna" when it worked just fine sitting still last night. When it landed on FM, I actually got some music, but it would stay there on FM for only a few minutes before it just decided to skip away again.

I guess a call to ICA is in order. Frustrating to say the least; the deck worked fine when I yanked it, and the removal was primarily driven by the lack of preamp outputs...oh well.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my volume button stop working I finally took off the hand controls and it was pinched wire. To this day I have no clue how it happened. I guess vibration.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:58 PM
harleydodge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with the mode select handlebar switch as well. It sounds to me like it's sticking closed on you (always pressed) This would explain why when you cycle the ignition, it changes modes (power on, power off)
Check for a bad switch or wiring leading to/from it.
Just a guess based on your symptoms. No expert here.

Edit: I just went out and tried holding the "mode" button on mine in the "On" (pushed in) position and it DID operate exactly like you describe.
When I cycled the ignition from IGN to ACC it changed modes.

Last edited by harleydodge; 09-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:42 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleydodge
I would start with the mode select handlebar switch as well. It sounds to me like it's sticking closed on you (always pressed) This would explain why when you cycle the ignition, it changes modes (power on, power off)

Edit: I just went out and tried holding the "mode" button on mine in the "On" (pushed in) position and it DID operate exactly like you describe.

Thanks for that info, Harleydodge! Sounds like the switch needs some attention...

I got the same "lead" from Iron Cross when I called them today. Evidently there's nothing in the head unit that would cause this; it requires an outside trigger, so it's got to be a bad wire (most likely) or the switch itself has failed. Since it DOES work every now and then, I suspect I have a wire issue.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleydodge

Just to update the updated update:

I went out to try to blast some contact cleaner into the switch tonight...and in trying to remove the **** off the stem, the entire pin pulled out of the switch!! There's also evidence that the housing cracked as well. So now the remainder of the switch is just stuck in the housing, since I didn't have the tools or time to fully disconnect the housing and remove the switch. I ordered one, but no clue when it will get here. Hopefully once I get on a source it will STAY there (it's already done the 'rotate' once) until I can tear it all apart and fix it. Sheesh...

Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Interesting..... My Harman Kardon head unit is doing something similar. It seems at random times as I'm riding, the mode of the unit changes. Sometimes it changes quickly from one mode to another and other times it just changes to a different mode.
I've also noticed when this happens, sometimes I can't even change the mode manually with the mode switch. I press the switch and nothing happens. I'm guessing the switch is going bad. Is that a valid assumption?

One other issue I've also noticed lately. I have a HD RoadTech Zumo 660 GPS unit and it's wired into the rear aux connector I've installed on my radio. Sometimes when I play MP3 files on the GPS through the aux connection, the volume will all of a sudden decrease. If I than go to adjust the volume with the volume button on the handlebar, I've noticed that the radio displays something like (sorry, don't remember the exact message) NAV/Phone volume, instead of the usual "volume" message on the display. Any idea why when a source is playing through the AUX the radio thinks the navigation or phone module is installed? I do have the NIM module installed for the GPS.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch changing modes on HK head unit- Mode key inop