Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Help: Cleaned carb now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 AM
AnNa_BaNaNa
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help: Cleaned carb now won't start

Hello everyone, I'm a new rider and just got my first bike 2002 Sportster 883. Was running a little rough and kept pinging at idle and while riding. I've changed the oil and oil filter, transmission oil, drained the tank cleaned the spark plugs (checked and they're still pretty new)and cleaned the jets in the carb(did clean out some gunk and made sure i cleaned and checked the slide). Did this with help of the manual and you tube videos. Added 89 octane gas because i read in a few forums in might also need higher octane gas. So i tried to start it yesterday and was disappointed that it won't turn over. Made sure i checked my spark plugs and installed at the right torque. I did not however technically drain the tank, i siphoned it. I made sure i reinstalled the carburetor correctly but did i miss a step? Sounds silly but should i of added fuel to the carb? Is there now air in my fuel lines? Should i of done something with the fuel lines? Is killing me that i paid attention (at least thought i did) to everything i was doing, but am now clueless as to what i did wrong. It wants to start, just dont want to push it and mess something up. I didn't give it some throttle to assist with starting it, but i didnt need to before. Please help! I know some might think I'm too new to be messing with my own bike...but I'll never learn if i dont do it myself. I want to learn my bike inside and out. Thank you in advance!!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

First you need to clarify the problem, you say the engine will not turn over.

Are you saying that when you press the starter button the starter motor does not crank the engine?

Or is the starter cranking the engine, but the engine just does not start?

Old 01-07-2017, 11:34 AM
AnNa_BaNaNa
3rd Gear

Yes the starter is cranking the engine but it wont start.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by AnNa_BaNaNa
Good for you and your willingness to learn to DIY!

I would first just check some basic things like, fuel line shutoff, engine kill switch, and pull the fuel line at the carb just to be certain your getting gas to it. Not likely any air in lines.

Did you completely disassemble the carb? Soaking certain rubber or even some hard plastic parts can be damaging by some gunk cleaners.

Report back...

Old 01-07-2017, 12:51 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

The best clue is that it was running rough and pinging both at idle and operating. That bike does not need premium gas and will not benefit much if at all from it.

Were passages blocked in the carb?

I suspect either a rubber part in the carb is out of place or defective , something is blocked or some hose isn't in the right place. The other alternative is that there's something other than the carb wrong with the bike.

I've been lucky but I've never been unable to start a Harley back up after a carb removal and replacement and it starts right up - no sitting on the starter.

Here's what I'd do:

- Remove the carb and inspect the diaphragm and accelerator diaphragm with a flashlight. Reinstall carefully.

- Inspect the fuel elbow for hairline cracks - get a magnifier. That wouldn't stop it from running but since you're dealing with gremlins at the moment eliminate possibilities.

- Double check that everything closed and sealed.

- Inspect your carb boot - is it cracked? If it's not in new condition - I'd not hesitate to put a thin layer of grease on it t seal it better with carb installed. That would be a temporary approach while procuring a new boot.

Once the new carb is installed - I would spray a bit of starter fluid into the bike. I have NEVER had to do this with a Harley but have with other bikes. It would be worth a short just to get things started. Cheap to try and useful fluid anyway!

Then give it a go.

So what I really just said was pull, double check and try again. This is the fun of bikes. Enjoy the journey as many of us do!

Then when you get it working - we can talk about fuel mix. If your fuel mix screw is exposed (air/fuel mixture) - check how many turns from lightly seated (full clockwise) it is - it should be about 2-3 on a stock bike. That would not likely cause your trouble and I would probably suggest avoiding that at start unless you're familiar with that adjustment.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:51 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,250 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm a new rider and just got my first bike 2002 Sportster 883. Was running a little rough and kept pinging at idle and while riding. I've changed the oil and oil filter, transmission oil, drained the tank cleaned the spark plugs (checked and they're still pretty new)and cleaned the jets in the carb(did clean out some gunk and made sure i cleaned and checked the slide). Did this with help of the manual and you tube videos. Added 89 octane gas because i read in a few forums in might also need higher octane gas. So i tried to start it yesterday and was disappointed that it won't turn over. Made sure i checked my spark plugs and installed at the right torque. I did not however technically drain the tank, i siphoned it. I made sure i reinstalled the carburetor correctly but did i miss a step? Sounds silly but should i of added fuel to the carb? Is there now air in my fuel lines? Should i of done something with the fuel lines? Is killing me that i paid attention (at least thought i did) to everything i was doing, but am now clueless as to what i did wrong. It wants to start, just dont want to push it and mess something up. I didn't give it some throttle to assist with starting it, but i didnt need to before. Please help! I know some might think I'm too new to be messing with my own bike...but I'll never learn if i dont do it myself. I want to learn my bike inside and out. Thank you in advance!!
Did you try a banana?...... Seriously though, after trying all of the above did you verify that spark is actually getting to the plugs? Pull the plugs again and then reattach the wires to them. Make sure that the threads of the plugs are touching something that is grounded, like laying them against the bare metal on the heads. Do this where there is not strong light, and then crank it over. Look for spark jumping across the electrodes of the plugs. That will definitely determine if spark is present and eliminate that as a problem.....

Last edited by hvacgaspiping; 01-07-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,552 Posts

No fire at all - sputter - pop - backfire?
Did you try a shot of starter fluid?

We know you cleaned the carb, but go step by step.
Are you getting fuel to the carb?
Do you have spark?

Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
u2nmg93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some advice before we start. When you aren't really sure and are still learning it is best to do one thing at a time. EX: change spark plugs, then see if it still runs, if it does then move on to the next step. If you change one thing at a time it's a lot easier to find where you went wrong.

As for your problem start with spark, take one of the old plugs and stick it in the boot, set it on the engine somewhere where the metal part of the plug can touch metal on the engine. Bump the starter and see if you get a nice blue spark. Orange or hardly visible let us know. DON"T HOLD THE PLUG WHILE CRANKING, it will knock you on your a$$ (Good job for your helper though...). Once you have spark then move on to fuel.

If you really want to clean the carb you can't just take the bowl off, sit it in some clear and call it a day. A rebuild kit should be in your future if it was nasty in the bowl.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 AM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Always start with the easy stuff...
There is a vacuum line running from carburetor to fuel valve. It's purpose is to keep the fuel valve closed when bike is not running, so the carb doesn't flood, puking fuel everywhere. On startup, line goes under vacuum, lifting the valve so fuel now flows from tank into carb bowl.
Check both carb and fuel valve and make sure the line is plugged in on both ends. The pics are marked where the vacuum line plugs into.
There's also a pic of what your vacuum line looks like.
Word of caution. As the line gets old due to heat cycling (look where it's positioned) it will collapse. Remove line alltogether and blow one side, if there's no air coming out the other, line is collapsed, bike will turn over but won't start.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 PM
AnNa_BaNaNa
3rd Gear

Yes i did open up the carb and clean it..the small jet had gunk in it and i cleaned it out. But i did not soak rubber in anything, just wiped off. I will have to try everything said here and am so glad i have you guys for support. This weekend was a long one but i will hop back on that asap. Thank you for all the advice. Next time, one thing at a time ��. Will report back after trying. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Help: Cleaned carb now won't start