Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Excess Fuel coming out from Main Jet Holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Hlozoya
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excess Fuel coming out from Main Jet Holder

Hey there guys, I have a very frustrating problem. For a while I figured that my bike was running too rich, lots of black smoke, bad gas mileage, sluggish response, gasoline smell. I decided to buy Kuryakyn's hypercharger and while I was at it I decided to take a look at why I had bad gas. For one, my old air filter was soaking wet in gas. Then I pulled the carb out and turns out it was already rejetted. To make the story short...there is excess gas being sucked from the main jet holder (emulsion tube). Some of that excess gas makes it into the cylinders which I'm sure causes the rich conditions, but some of that gas is sprayed into the filter because I assume the gas coming out of the emulsion tube is not timed with the butterfly mechanism. I have attached a video so you guys can see what I'm talking about. This is really frustrating, I wanna ride my HOG and it kills me that it's sitting in the shop drowning in gas. By the way, bike is a 2003 anniversary Dyna Low Rider.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Old 01-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Sorry, hard to see...you have me turning my head sideways and the camera is moving all around.

What jetting do you have? Is the needle stock? Is the emulsion tube stock? Is fuel coming out of the accelerator pump when you move the throttle?

Are your the original owner of the bike and did you make any changes to the carb? Or did the original owner make any changes if you are not the original owner. YD

Old 01-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Hlozoya
Stage III

Sorry, I figured it would be hard to appreciatte the video properly. Jet is a 180, the needle is stock, I actually had the thunderslide jet kid needle installed but I thought since it was to thin that's why fuel was being sucked out of the emulsion tube. I am not the original owner and it looks like the carb was rejetted previously. Jets do not seem to be stock. And no fuel is coming out of the accelerator pump. The needle sits right where the emulsion tube screws in. Fuel, somehow, is being sucked from there, in addittion to the fuel coming out of the accelerator pump.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Hlozoya
The needle sits right where the emulsion tube screws in. Fuel, somehow, is being sucked from there, in addittion to the fuel coming out of the accelerator pump.
That is where the fuel is supposed to enter the carburetor throat.

The bike is running rich, have you checked the float level, and also the needle and seat, to be sure the carb float bowl fuel level is not overflowing?

Are you sure that the needle jet is installed correctly (not upside down)?

It`s the part that is sticking into the carb throat (the needle passes through it at the bottom of the throat).

The end of the jet with the larger opening goes up.

Don`t ask me how I know that this part can be installed upside down.....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-29-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Hlozoya
Stage III

I adjusted the float to manual specs. Tilt carb 15-20 degrees and adjust float to 0.435 to 0.450 I believe. I sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner through the main fuel line to see if float needle would stop fuel from feeding into the bowl, and it does work. The needle that goes in the slide looks pretty much like a long nail, the head keeps it from sliding all the way down so I know that is installed correctly. The jets have threads only on one end so that's also pretty easy to install. None of the carb parts were forced to install.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:37 AM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Ok, so float is set up and you checked float needle isn't flooding the bowl.
Double check float needle for binding.
If it still checks out...
Pull your jet needle and check to see if it's the right size N9EA.
Whatever is stamped on the needle, post it

Old 01-30-2017, 04:31 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

OK, what Dan89flstc is referring to is your NEEDLE JET, not your main jet. There is a difference in what the part is.

Putting the NEEDLE JET in the wrong position (upside down) is common. See this link for an explanation:

http://cv-performance.com/harley-cv-...-tuning-issues

Yes, some fuel should be drawn thru that opening. Did you say no fuel is coming out the accelerator pump nozzle? Even when you twist the throttle? You should see it squirt fuel(bike not running, fuel on) when you twist the throttle.

Make sure you have the proper emulsion tube (OEM or CV performance) and that it is clean, correct position of the NEEDLE JET, and a matching oem or cvp main jet. The reason I say this is, different manufacturers of re-jet kits don't match and the numbers and sometime threads of the jets are different. Even the emulsion tubes can be different. CVP is the same as OEM as far as jet sizes and threads. Dynojet is not.

On the idle or slow pilot screw, make sure you have the screw, spring, washer, and very small O-ring. Often the O-ring gets stuck up in the bore of the screw and a "replacement" will get added creating an air leak. Or sometimes, the O-ring or washer gets lost. A little paper clip bent straight with a 90* bend (like a tiny hook) will help you fish out a stuck O-ring.

Make sure the tiny holes in the slow jet is clean, as well as the holes in the emulsion tube. A wire garbage bag tie with the paper removed work great for cleaning those holes. YD

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

I saw his video. The needle jet seems to be right side up, you can see the lip.
I'm thinking along the lines of...very rich needle being used.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

From the video, you aren't able to go to idle with the slide. Is the slide sticking part way down? I would also check the aluminum top of the Emulsion tube, if you look at the main jet, from the bottom up it goes main jet screwing into the emulsion tube and the aluminum tip at the top. That aluminum bit has a right way and an upside down way to be installed, given that you have said that it has been re-jetted I would suspect that the PO may have installed it upside down.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:20 AM
kenfuzed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This condition is definitely related to the float valve and float level. Even if the float level is set correctly a float valve with a worn tip will allow fuel to flow excessively into the bowl resulting in too much fuel overflowing up through the needle jet as well as soaking the air cleaner. Be sure to reset the float level again after replacing the float valve.
https://cv-performance.com/harley_float_setting

Also I can see in the video that you have a DJ Thunderslide installed (evident by the black contoured slide). Your jetting is going to be completely different from any stock Harley setup and only DynoJet brand jets and needle can be used. Just keep that in mind if you do any further tuning.

Last edited by kenfuzed; 02-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Excess Fuel coming out from Main Jet Holder