Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Coughing through carb when key turned to light position

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 07:22 PM
anything2wheels
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coughing through carb when key turned to light position

Hi all,

i have a 1984 fxrt and I changed a ton of things on it, including ignition (dynatech 2000i and coils - twin fire II , single coils). I also rewired it. The problem I知 having is that if I shut the bike off and then put the key in the lights position, the coils fire and whatever gas vapor is left if the engine ignites resulting in a couch trough the carburetor, I知 not even trying to start the bike/ I知 not even hitting the start button, but the ignition button is on the run position.

Basically if if I turn the key on, the coils fire automatically even though I don稚 press start. Anyone have any idea why this might happen ?

Thanks,
Vlad

Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The dyna tech is firing when it gets powered up. It's failing internally.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 PM
anything2wheels
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RANGER73
The dyna tech is firing when it gets powered up. It's failing internally.
Failing internally ? That sounds concerning? I think it痴 done that since day 1. How do I stop it ? Always spitting stuff up on my air filter.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Randol
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts

My old Suzuki will do that if I have the ignition on but not running, then turn it off. Not every time, was thinking if it stops with the magnet lined up with the sensor, current would be going through the coils, then when I turn it off, it fires. I might be a little rich on the idle too. Been doing that intermittently since 2007, when I put the Dyna system on.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Ok you rewired it so sounds like you hooked the ignition power wire to always on terminal on the switch, regroup a bit trace it out and move the wire to the right spot.

I'd start there before you get any deeper in the worrying department.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

old style switch
off
ign
lights
if so, the ign will be powered up
now if you want to use lights without ign, swap termination on switch, as the run position will now be lights but power to ign not till you key to the position that was for the lights.
if it is as i think, it could be possible that the two coils are inducing the firing cycle by inductance. how are the wired?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If it's firing as soon as you turn on the ignition every time the pick-up's firing as soon as it sees power, it gets its power from the ignition.
Sounds faulty, replace it. That's the only thing that controls the spark command to the coil on the system you have.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Boyer ignitions (for my vintage triumph) do exactly what you describe. I always assumed it was just a normal thing and never gave it much thought. YD

Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 AM
anything2wheels
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I still cant figure out what the issue is. I have reached out to dynatek to see if they can help me trouble shoot. They said that the ignition module should be set to send current to coils only after it picks up 3 dead cranks of the motor. Mine does it as soon as it gets powered up. He also said that another cause could be that the "the off/run switch or key switch could be bouncing/arching" which I have no idea what that means. Does anyone know?

@Yankee Dog - I hear you, its been doing this for a while also, but I dont think the backpressure and other stuff coming up through the carb is good for it. Just got a new air cleaner / filter and I'd love it to last a while before getting all gunked up.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

I would do what twizted biker suggested. The only other thing I can think of is a programming cable to change the settings in the ignition module. However, I would double check the wiring first. There may not be a problem with the module at all.

I bet it's something stupidly simple that once you find it, it will be a AHA! moment. YD

Quick Reply: Coughing through carb when key turned to light position