Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

BIke (with carb) storage question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 07:10 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default BIke (with carb) storage question.

Just wondeing if anyone has had similar issues and what (if any) additives that y'all may be using?

Having multiple motorcycles (and one trike) two or three of them see little or no use sometimes for months.

I have one carb'ed EVO and for some reason it's the only one that I have issues with but the EFI bikes start and run perfectly.

I keep all of the bikes on battery tenders and all of them (including the EVO) will start but on the first try and run normally with the exception of the EVO with the carb.
It will start and idle (with the choke pulled out) but it will satll out if I try to rev it any at all.
Twice now, Ihave had to remove the carb, clean it thoroughly (and I mean really good) to make it run properly.

When I disassemble the carb I cannot find anything that would (or should) make it run so horribly.

In the past, I have added Sta-bil to the fuel of all of the bikes, my generator, my mower, my little tractor, my snowblowers and all of fuel cans and up till this year the only issue has been the EVO.
I ried to start my Honda generator and for the first time ever (had it for more than 22 years) but it wouldn't start unless I used either gas or starting fluid.
The local guy that has worked on my small engines for many years picked the generator up and told me that it had "sludge" in the fuel tank and asked me if I had added anything to the fuel?

I hate not to use a fuel additive but I'm not using Sta-bil again and I saw one "expert" saying that Seafoam should NOT be added to the fuel in a 4-cycle engine but if you did use anything it should be Heet, which is a moisture fighter.
FWIW, I drained the fuel out ot the EVO and another EFI bike into clean, clear containers and there were so signs of water or any kinds of sediiments.
I know that most people say that its not a good idea to start an engine in the winter and not allow it to get to normal operating temperature but the the way I store my bikes (on lifts inside an attached garage) it wouldn't be safe or practical to do so but in the case with the EVO I think I may start it up monthly and let it run just long enough to run some gas through the carb and see how well that works out.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:53 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,940 Likes on 3,030 Posts

Here's what I found on mine,
Stabil sucks, the bike didn't like it come spring.
I top the tank with 93 (unfortunately non ethanol is rare here)
I add the recommended amount of SEAFOAM per gallon. Split between both sides. (dual tank)
Start the engine and after 2 minutes turn off the petcock and let the bike run until the fuel runs out that's in the fuel line.
This works for me.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:27 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 928 Posts

Alcohol free fuel. Use it the last few times you plan on storing the vehicle/item for the season. I have alcohol free fuel in my generator that is 4 years old now and starts just fine. Simple. YD

Old 09-03-2020, 06:48 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,091 Likes on 6,241 Posts
Old 09-05-2020, 07:18 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,505 Likes on 4,617 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Start the engine and after 2 minutes turn off the petcock and let the bike run until the fuel runs out that's in the fuel line.

That is the best way to prep for storage with a carbureted engine.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:53 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I decided to simply try fresh fuel (Shell 93 octane) with no additives and see how the bike starts in 90 days (or so).
I have no problems with the EFI bikes.
I will have all of the bikes up on lifts after October so I can open the garage doors and briefly crank up the carbed bike and let if run for a few minutes or for as long as I can tolerate the carbon monoxide!