Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

bendix adjustmet problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy bendix adjustmet problems

i have an 8 sporty with a bendiz carbi.its an early model A style with non adjustible main jet.itdoes have an adjutible idle mix screw it has a #157 main jet and im running open drag pipes my problem is after 5-10 miles the plugs are a heavy soot coating with stock harley plugs #4r i have switched to the gold plated #4r5s and still getting heavy dry soot is this caused due to a too large main je if so what would be my next leaner choice im thinkin about starting at a #152 and see if that helps or can any body offer another jet size
thankx need real help here

Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definately sounds like you're getting too much fuel in there. I ran a Bendix for years on my pan with a adjustable main jet. It ran great until it started dumping fuel in all of a sudden, would run and foul out. Ended up changin it out with an S&S. You can try and replace the main jet with an adjustable see how that goes. Have you checked the float level and the float to see it has no leaks?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

i would go to an adjustable but i hear a lot of glitchs.i could just change out the jet for
$30-$40 bucksbut there are other things i dont like about the bendix. the one thing is it doesnt have an idle set on the choke. so your always reving. i have a khinen 84-85 v.o.e.s model. capped off the vacums. great running carb, also great on gas compared to the bendix. anyway checke the float no leaksand its set for factory specks using float scale

Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser
Question bendix problems

ok the bendix has a #157 main im running stock air cleaner an open drag pipes. i need to lean it out as its running way to rich. i need to know how many sizes should i go. im thinking of going down 2-3 sizes. thats how rich its running --- now im wondering what is the small rod running thrugh the main jet. it has very small holes in it. is this the idle jet?and if you change out the main jet do you also change that rod going through the main?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Thunderboltt
Stage I

Hi Popstheoldman! I have a 75XLH with a Bendix carb and I ride up in the mountains of northern NM and southern Colorado. My suggestion to you would be to pick up an adjustable main jet kit from J+P cycles or some other source(maybe even your local shop). It will save you a lot of head scratching trying to figure out which jet to use. That's what I did when I moved out this way from NYC. Also you may want to think about some baffles in them pipes to get some back pressure in there (unless you are running WOT) they will help you pick up some torque at the lower rpms.