Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

'02 RK (carbed), won't start: need help with troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Technologist
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '02 RK (carbed), won't start: need help with troubleshooting

02 road King, FLHR, carb'ed. 35K miles.

Recently had hard starts ( on and off for 2 days). Next day, bike won't start. Starter engages, and hear normal startup noise, but engine doesn't catch.
Battery voltage is good (12.6V),
have fuel,
petcock on,
run/kill in run position.

Checked plugs (using autolite right now, since carb adjustment last year), not fouled, just a little dark... replaced anyway, and still no turn over.

Tried starting it, normal starting noises except engine doesn't turn over. ONLY one time in all the attempts did I get a backfire (out the exhaust), so I THOUGHT I had spark (which ignited the fuel).

But, I pulled the wires off the plugs, and trying to start makes all the same noise, so I am thinking no spark. I also pulled the plugs, connected them to them to the wires, laid them on the engine (for ground), and tried starting... same noise, but saw no spark.

I read somewhere that the computer wont' allow for spark UNLESS you have a plug in the cylinder.... so that may have been a worthless test. I can try leaving the plugs in the cylinder, and put other plugs in the wires, laying them on the engine and looking for spark... if you think it is a good idea.

Checked vacuum at top of petcock (old fashioned way: removed vac line, put vac line on finger, crank starter, FEEL vac pulling.

Ignition fuse (blue, 15 amp) and starter relay ok..

Google search says it could be CKS (Crankshaft Position Sensor)... how can I tell for sure (IF you agree it is the problem), and how hard for a medium level mechanic (one step above novice) to replace? I can do all the maintenance, but diagnosis of a problem takes me too long, and I don't know what to look at FIRST! But as far as replacing parts, I can do that!

Thanks!

PS, did I miss any things to check for FIRST? Can anyone tell me to try something else that is definitive in pointing to (or pointing away from) a specific problem? If someone has a checklist, which shows the best order to trouble shoot, I would appreciate it!

I tried giving as much info as possible, but don't want to lead anyone down the wrong path. If you think outside the box to help, great! If you tell me to do something I already did, I'll still say thanks, but tell you I tried it.

Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Technologist
Tourer

Anybody out there have this problem or know somebody that had (and fixed it)?

I could really use a little help here....

Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Technologist
Tourer

Am I posting in the wrong place? Or is everybody out riding?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM
02flh
Cruiser

hope it is fixed by now,:-) . What was it anyhow. I have a 2002 flht carb and it has not ever faultered except when I was trying to see how lean I could run it. Don over and out>>>>

Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Technologist
Tourer

Nope, not fixed.

Tried starting it while wiggling the cable bundle... thinking there could be a short in the Crankshaft Position Sensor... still wont start.

Took off right access panel, found where the Crankshaft Position Sensor cable ends, and connects to the ingition system. Opened the connector, and checked resistance TO the sensor. It was "Infinite / Open". It should have some resistance, RIGHT?

Also, I checked the engine codes... there are none stored. However, all my Google searches say that when the Crankshaft Position Sensor fails, it usually doesn't throw a code... so I could be on the right track.

Any help is appreciated, especially if someone thinks I am going about this wrong!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:10 PM
cardoctor
Road Captain

does it have spark? if so maybe alittle ether in the carb

JR

Old 08-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Technologist
Tourer

Nope, no spark.

Really leaning heavily to the problem being a Crank Sensor.... the bad news is that NO ONE has it in stock!

I'll check the thread again later... and at the same time will check to see if I can find the Crankshaft sensor and cable in a nearby state... so I can try to fix it tomorrow, rather than wait for a local store to get delivery.

If anyone else reads this thread, and can point out things I haven't tried yet, please let me know.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
cardoctor
Road Captain

do you have 12 volts to coil +and oscilation on - side when cranking(test light)

Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Technologist
Tourer

Bike is FIXED!!!

Thanks to all that helped out here...

I "decided it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Called the nearby HD Stores, and no one had it in stock. Dejected, I kept calling stores in nearby states, to find it and fix the bike before the weekend was done.

Finally found a sensor, about 100 miles round trip from the house.

The end of the story is this: I got home, removed the old sensor and plugged in the new sensor.... and after days of troubleshooting, THEN trying to find the part.... the bike turned over and ran like a champ!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
hywy2hl
Cruiser

good to know!

Quick Reply: '02 RK (carbed), won't start: need help with troubleshooting