Custom Models All custom bikes.

How difficult is it to build a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Chopper1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I would rewire a whole bike for a turn signal problem... You may have something small like a loose conection or a bulb or build holder. With electrical, it's usually a simple fix but you got to find it. As far as building a bike goes, it's obviously a lot cheaper to find a used one ( an older late 80's FXR is a good start) and then add or upgrade from there. I built a softail chopper with a 42 degree rake 12 over front end all new in 97 and it cost me 28 grand then. I hate to think what it would run today.. Good luck either way you go

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopper1
No way I would rewire a whole bike for a turn signal problem... You may have something small like a loose conection or a bulb or build holder. With electrical, it's usually a simple fix but you got to find it. As far as building a bike goes, it's obviously a lot cheaper to find a used one ( an older late 80's FXR is a good start) and then add or upgrade from there. I built a softail chopper with a 42 degree rake 12 over front end all new in 97 and it cost me 28 grand then. I hate to think what it would run today.. Good luck either way you go

My concern with my bike is that the turn signal may be just a symptom. I have also replace a wire connected to the ignition switch twice and the new one has only been on there a month and it already looks like it has been damaged.

I think there may be several grounding problems and several loose connections. I have only owned it for a year and it has been worked on by several people over the years at various skill levels. If formerly had an accent lighting system. That system has been removed, but I am not sure whether it has been removed properly or whether it was installed properly in the first place.

My current plan is to dig into the central wires, remove each connection, clean it and put it back. I figure it I go one wire at a time, I minimize the risk of letting my lack of knowledge create more problems than it solves.

On the other hand, perhaps rewiring the whole bike is the only way to really be confident that all the wires are solid.

For now, I plan to go slow and see what I get into.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Thanks to all for your wisdom. I have started a thread in the EVO forum. It started as asking about a book, but it has morphed from there. Somebody posted a really helpful video.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It is easy to build a bike, just follow the steps. However it is very time consuming and expensive.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Sorg67~

Building a bike from the ground up sounds like a "personal challenge." I like that.

By chance, is there a local community college that offers a motorcycle mechanics program?

I know you're a long way from Los Angeles, but Los Angeles Trade-Tech has such a program. www.lattc.edu.

I took motorcycle mechanics/theory/electrics back in the late 1970's/early 1980's and I still use that knowledge today, when working on, or talking with people about motorcycles.

Another thing~

If building a touring bike seems "too complex" to attempt, how about getting a ratted out 2-stroke dirtbike and refurbish that? This may give you valuable experience in the challenges that lay ahead with the touring rig. Kind of like a "first step" towards your lightweight touring bike. (I love the idea, btw!)

If I were to build a bike, I'd want something unusual. Like an aluminum frame and carbon fiber wheels/fenders. Maybe a Rocket3 power plant.

If HD (or anyone) made a capable touring rig that weighed 550lbs, instead of 900lbs, they'd sell more of them to riders that can no longer deal with a half ton motorcycle. Are you hearing me HD?

Anyway, good luck with which ever direction you go!

EDIT~ From personal experience, there are likely "half finished" projects that people lost interest in, in your neck of the woods. 20-25 years ago, it seemed like anyone with a Custom Chrome book, money and a new Craftsman tool set were buying parts to assemble into a ridable bike. Well, those "projects" sit in the corner of the shed, deteriorating, and the owners wives would like to get rid of them. So, these can be had for a fraction of what the original owner has into them. While he may have $15,000+ into all the parts, she may let the whole shooting match go for a grand. Or less even.

I've sold parts (on eBay) for people that have discovered that this process is just "too daunting" and they'd just rather ride.

I gotta agree also, I'd rather ride than wrench too.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 07-16-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Yes, I would rather ride than wrench. And I have other interests as well so I would not want to get in over my head. At this point, building a bike from scratch sounds like it is more than I am willing to undertake.

I am doing some work on my 1992 softail. I am using that to gauge my interest. I have other bikes so this bike can be down for a while without interfering with my riding. I go out to the garage and piddle here and there. Right now, I am working on electrical and lighting (see thread in EVO forum).

I have had some work done on my softail by an independent mechanic, but it has not been done to the level of detail I would like. I do not fault him for that. He would have to charge an unreasonable sum to attend to the details to the degree I would like. This bike has had some periods of neglect in its past as well as some amateur work done on it.

So my current plan is to attack this bike in containable sections so that I can learn and assess my interest level. If I enjoy it, then perhaps I will go to the next level.

My vision of a custom bike I would build would be something like my Versys 650 but with a V-Twin rather than a parallel twin. Something that is light like the Versys but has the rumble and character of a Harley. Ducati has bikes like that, but they are more high performance than I want. I like a simple quality feel. Something that is fun to ride and sensible speeds for public roads.

I plan to research this idea. See what kind of frames and engines are available for such a design.

Perhaps the HD will work with Ducati to create such a bike.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:33 AM
Robert07
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step-by-Step Instructions for Building a Motorized Bicycle From Scratch: Choosing the right bike is important! The bicycle frame must have a triangle space. Then choose any engine kit of your choosing. Install the engine from the bike motor kit between the bike’s frames. Use the mounting bracket of the engine and bolts to fit it on the bike’s frame correctly. Use a ring spanner to loosen the two rear wheel nuts. Then, remove the back wheel sprocket’s chain. Place a rubber bush on both sides of the tire’s shaft. Install the included sprocket in the bicycle motor kit on the rear wheel shaft. The screws must be inserted inside the sprocket. Attach the spark plug to the top of an engine by turning it. Assemble the clutch on the left side of the handlebar. Attach the drive chain to carry the power from the engine to the rear wheel. Set up the accelerator for the bicycle on the right side of the handlebar. Install everything else as normal. A carburetor, a gas tank, a muffler,...

Old 10-14-2021, 07:40 AM
Robert07
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert07
Step-by-Step Instructions for Building a Motorized Bicycle From Scratch: Choosing the right bike is important! The bicycle frame must have a triangle space. Then choose any engine kit of your choosing. Install the engine from the bike motor kit between the bike’s frames. Use the mounting bracket of the engine and bolts to fit it on the bike’s frame correctly. Use a ring spanner to loosen the two rear wheel nuts. Then, remove the back wheel sprocket’s chain. Place a rubber bush on both sides of the tire’s shaft. Install the included sprocket in the bicycle motor kit on the rear wheel shaft. The screws must be inserted inside the sprocket. Attach the spark plug to the top of an engine by turning it. Assemble the clutch on the left side of the handlebar. Attach the drive chain to carry the power from the engine to the rear wheel. Set up the accelerator for the bicycle on the right side of the handlebar. Install everything else as normal. A carburetor, a gas tank, a muffler,...
Knowing how to build a motorized bicycle from scratch is no problem if you have a motor kit and follow the right process by installing the engine fitting first.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:19 PM
robwlf10
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

i did what was mentioned on a post.. bought a clean one owner evo.. ( 98 fatboy )
started wrenching then just started taking off and adding what i wanted ..

did i spend more money then most would have on a older bike.. im sure i did .. but its how i like it
my personal style.. and id do it all over again in a heartbeat ..problem is i still want to do more lol
and im sure i will here and there, but i did the major stuff i wanted ...

Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
I am tempted to build a bike. Nothing fancy.
Piece of cake. Nothing to it...... hope you know engineering, metallurgy, 4 stroke basics, (intake, compression, power, exhaust) paint, electronics, and geometry. Then we get to the practical stuff like tools, space and budget. Lastly, we get into friends..... we all need them to help when the build requires a drunk and no logic.....

The following users liked this post:
robwlf10 (11-12-2021)

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to build a bike?