Custom Models All custom bikes.

How difficult is it to build a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:34 AM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How difficult is it to build a bike?

I am tempted to build a bike. Nothing fancy. But I have some particular characteristics I want. Buy a frame, engine, transmission, carburetor, electrical system, wheels tires, suspension, brakes, components and put them all together. How hard could it be?

I am sure a lot harder than I think. But it I go slow, research, follow instructions, is it doable for a novice? What would it cost to build a basic touring frame bike?

Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

On your first build:

It will cost you twice as much as you think

And you will end up doing everything about twice

The following 3 users liked this post by misfitJason:
Chasingdrakes (10-11-2021), deadhawg (10-29-2021), Sorg67 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:05 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Guess it depends on wether you want to ride it or hang it on the wall?

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:18 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Piece of cake. Just like building a model when you were a kid. Now if you actually want it to work there's a LOT more that goes into lining everything up and getting it all working together.

You'll need to be a good mechanic, an inventive fabricator, a welder, a painter and a meticulous assembler. Otherwise you'd be better off doing like most guys today and have a ton of cash to pay people to do all that stuff for you.

The smart thing to do it to buy a decent bike in sound, running condition and modify it to your taste. Then after you have a good idea of how things work you can strip that and build it up in any configuration you want. But you'll still need to become the things in the first sentence of paragraph two to some degree.

Sorg67 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

I am not looking to do anything fancy. Really want I want is an EVO light touring bike. Something like a Road King that might have the look of a Heritage. I have a 1992 FLSTC. I like the bike. However, I am always worried something is going to break down. It runs well. My only real concern is the electrical system.

I have owned it for a year and it has been neglected during certain points in it life. So I am not confident in taking it a long distance.

I would also like a little better handling bike. Nothing crazy. I do not ride fast. But sometimes I misjudge a corner and scrape the boards. I did that once in combination with going over a bump in the corner which caused the frame to hit. I did not go down, but I could have so I would like a bit more available lean angle just for a margin of safety.

I am not thinking anything that would require much custom work. Just something solid and basic.

I have a mechanic who helps me with my 92 FLSTC. I could get an EVO road king that is beat and put a new engine in it. But then it would be as reliable as its weakest link. I would want to replace everything.

Better to buy an old bike and completely rebuild it?

I like simple old fashioned quality. The new bikes do not look as high quality as the old bikes. Perhaps they are higher quality on the inside. But fit and finish on the new bikes looks cheap to me. It seems like they have had to cut corners to compete on price.

Is what I am thinking possible? My kids are grown and I have space in the garage. I could set up a work station and take a year or two to build it. And a lot of the appeal is learning. I am thinking that I would end up with something pretty stock looking. The custom elements would be subtle and probably only noticeable by me. Not looking for anything flashy.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

It's doable, what you are talking about is not really "building a bike", but more like "putting together a bike".
Practice it once or twice. Take your bike, or get a Road King or Heritage that needs work. Tear it down, clean, prep and paint everything, throw in some new stuff to change it up the way you want, add parts, take away parts, chop fenders, do some wiring on it, go through the motor and trans a bit. Make it yours. You can put together an old Evo that would be as reliable as anything new out there.
If you are mechanically inclined it's not that hard. You have unlimited resources of knowledge with Forums like this, YouTube, etc. If you can tear down, re-do and put together an older bike, you can put together a bike with new stuff.
Remember also, with new stuff you have to keep more thought on the legalities too with titles, MSOs, bill of sale, inspections, etc.

I like taking what I got apart and cutting, painting, etc to make it mine. When I get a bike, I don't get it because of the way it looks, I get it because it is my platform to make it how I want it to look.
Look at my before and after pics here. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/proje...l#post16267376
The stock bike is sort of ugly, but I love the after bike. I saw what I wanted in her and made her that way. This fall I'm gonna tear the FatBoy apart, I have, in my head, the basics of how I want him to end up.

Sorg67 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by Phideux
It's doable, what you are talking about is not really "building a bike", but more like "putting together a bike".

Yes, this is true. Really want I want is a light touring bike that is simple. A kind of a cross between a Road King, Softail and dyna. A bit of the old school look of a softail, handling and touring ability of a Road King and a little lighter like a dyna. No passenger seat, I ride strictly one-up. Maybe paint the same as my 92 FLSTC.

Practice it once or twice. Take your bike, or get a Road King or Heritage that needs work. Tear it down, clean, prep and paint everything, throw in some new stuff to change it up the way you want, add parts, take away parts, chop fenders, do some wiring on it, go through the motor and trans a bit. Make it yours. You can put together an old Evo that would be as reliable as anything new out there.

Maybe starting with an old Road King will get me there. But I was thinking that putting together an entire bike with all new parts might be easier than re-building an old one. Don't have to take anything apart. And there are probably instructions, maybe a kit.

If you are mechanically inclined it's not that hard. You have unlimited resources of knowledge with Forums like this, YouTube, etc. If you can tear down, re-do and put together an older bike, you can put together a bike with new stuff.

I would not call myself "mechanically inclined" but I like to research and am in no rush.

Remember also, with new stuff you have to keep more thought on the legalities too with titles, MSOs, bill of sale, inspections, etc.

I had not considered this. Maybe a bike that needs a lot of work. Salvage the frame and a few parts. Put in a new engine, transmission, electrical system, suspension, seat, luggage and have essentially a new bike with a title.

I like taking what I got apart and cutting, painting, etc to make it mine. When I get a bike, I don't get it because of the way it looks, I get it because it is my platform to make it how I want it to look.
Look at my before and after pics here. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/proje...l#post16267376
The stock bike is sort of ugly, but I love the after bike. I saw what I wanted in her and made her that way. This fall I'm gonna tear the FatBoy apart, I have, in my head, the basics of how I want him to end up.

My tastes are very plain and functional. I like what you did with the Valkerie My 92 FLSTC was blinged out but need some work. I have taken a lot of the bling off but made it functionally solid. Only remaining issue is electrical.

Last edited by Sorg67; 06-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Keep the bike you have and learn to work on it.

You say your only concern is the electrical system, what is your concern?

The Evo Softail has a very simple electrical system.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

I plan to keep FLSTC. Has some intermittent problems and has had two wires go bad. Might be a ground issue. But I worry about the next wire that is going to go bad.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
I plan to keep FLSTC. Has some intermittent problems and has had two wires go bad. Might be a ground issue. But I worry about the next wire that is going to go bad.
Perhaps before attempting a "build" or assembly, you might want to get familiar with what you have, clean all contacts, trace all wires, replace any suspect wiring, or components. Learn how to disassemble and reassemble all your terminals and individual connections. Use a service manual and electrical schematics. After you get your current bike correct and worry free, then consider a project.

Sorg67 (06-04-2017)

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to build a bike?