Custom Models All custom bikes.

Wiring up a whole bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:48 AM
yost44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring up a whole bike

Exactly how hard is it really to completely wire a bike with just the basics (ie headlight, taillight, brakelight, oil light, bright switch) anything i forgot...no turnsignals or anything....and is there any good harnesses out there that I could order and cut to length and hide in the frame and all that good stuff??

Old 08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Wiring up a whole bike

You didn't mention if you are going to have a starter circuit, kill switch, ignition, horn etc. An easy way would be to use a Thunderheart electronic wiring harness. They are very nice and easy to use. They include self resetting circuit breakers, short indicator LED's, built in starter relay and many other features. It also has all the standard features built in like directionals and support for all dash lights. You wouldn't have to use them if you are not planning on using directionals BUT if in the future you decided to add directions, it would be pretty easy.

I have used them on custom builds and like them a lot.

If you don't go that route, then I would just make my own harness rather than buy one.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
HDone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the Thunderheart.Very simple.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Captain Harley
Advanced

I made the wiring harness for my '65 Pan myself. It has the original electric starter, starter relay, handlebar starter button, lights, circuit breakers, etc.. But no turn signals. Used mostly 14 gauge wire with some 16 gauge. Encased as much of the wire as possible in shrink tubing. This was over 25 years ago and I have rebuilt the bike numerous times. All ways used the same harness. Just replaced the tie wraps that hold it on. Wiring a bike is really not that hard. Take your time and use common sense.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 PM
customsleds
Novice

Make your harness. Ive used several storeboughts and its easier and much cheaper to make your own.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:38 PM
barhpr
Road Captain

easy to do. I've done a few ironheads for friends.and just as a suggestion you might think it looks goos all the same color wiring, but at midnight half way home from the bar youll kick youself in the *** if your layin on your back tracin 7 wires all the same color

Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: yost44

Exactly how hard is it really to completely wire a bike with just the basics (ie headlight, taillight, brakelight, oil light, bright switch) anything i forgot...no turnsignals or anything....and is there any good harnesses out there that I could order and cut to length and hide in the frame and all that good stuff??
Use good wire, lay it out on paper and be sure of what you are going to do. By some different colors of wire or use wire lables. It's not rocket science.