Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Cleaning grime under seat & elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 07:49 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,146 Likes on 766 Posts

How you like the Optimum Power Clean?

The following users liked this post:
joeridesalot (06-10-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 03:20 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought it worked excellent! I used it full strength to start, now I'm going to dilute 50% and try that. The soft bristle brushes are the cat's meow.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pix:
eaglefan1 (01-19-2023), joeridesalot (06-10-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 04:26 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

That's some nasty **** on the radiators....can you put some type of "cover" or pre-screen to help stop the crap from plugging up?

Old 01-21-2023, 10:36 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts

There is a screen over the radiators, bought the bike used two years ago, so I am sure it has never been cleaned. (2014 Limited)

Old 01-22-2023, 06:13 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts

Good advice. I would add you can put dielectric grease on the connectors to keep water out. I would also recommend covering the ECU with plastic. I like to clean mine before it gets too nasty, just makes it easier to clean.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:13 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

All connectors are water tight. I used a foam cannon and pressure washer. I kept some distance with the pressure washer and for fk sake, don't pressure was the wheel bearings. If you're smart about it, this is the best and fastest method. If you're a sadist, use a squirt bottle and Qtips.

The bottom line for me is, I choose a method where I'll perform the deep clean once or twice a year and it not take 10x longer than needed. The CVO Limited will happen like this the first nice weekend above 50 in GA

The following 5 users liked this post by BigMike:
BigD48 (01-26-2023), Dispatch (01-26-2023), liberty.mike (04-04-2023), Pix (04-04-2023), Stopit (11-23-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:36 AM
liberty.mike
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Just wash it, plain ole soap and water. As others have said, foam cannon a soft brissle brush and low pressure, all great suggestions. Everything "factory" in there is water resistant, don't know about the siren looking thing on top of your electical box tho, that's something aftermarket.
I have been using low pressure foam cannon and rinse and blow dry just like the outer painted surfaces. Pull the bags, side covers and seat(s) and get after it. My Harley's are waterproof and I am certain they have been nature tested thoroughly, many times! Found a local quarter car wash that has hand blowers for drying, about the size of a wet vac hose with a nozzle, quick work of a time consuming job. Hand wipe/dry after I ride it home followed by whatever detailing I determine is needed.

For the times when it is covered by bugs and other crap we encounter I pre soak with Wizards Bug Release and carry the HD bug pads cut into several squares for the difficult ones. Followed by foam, mitt wash and rinse, blow dry. I have never had any issues getting the entire bike wet, except when the intake is sucking water from a downpour. With experience with water injection on diesels I don't overthink some water being ingested.

Your mileage may vary!

The following users liked this post:
Pix (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 12:30 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,471 Likes on 4,151 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
If you're a sadist, use a squirt bottle and Qtips.

sadistic is me making you do it....but I get your meaning

Old 05-15-2023, 09:32 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,199 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by liberty.mike
I have been using low pressure foam cannon and rinse and blow dry just like the outer painted surfaces. Pull the bags, side covers and seat(s) and get after it. My Harley's are waterproof and I am certain they have been nature tested thoroughly, many times! Found a local quarter car wash that has hand blowers for drying, about the size of a wet vac hose with a nozzle, quick work of a time consuming job. Hand wipe/dry after I ride it home followed by whatever detailing I determine is needed.

For the times when it is covered by bugs and other crap we encounter I pre soak with Wizards Bug Release and carry the HD bug pads cut into several squares for the difficult ones. Followed by foam, mitt wash and rinse, blow dry. I have never had any issues getting the entire bike wet, except when the intake is sucking water from a downpour. With experience with water injection on diesels I don't overthink some water being ingested.

Your mileage may vary!
I've removed the air cleaner after a nice ride to warm it up, grabbed a spray bottle filled with water and started spraying in the intake holding the rpms around 3000 or enough to keep the engine running. Great way to remove carbon buildup in the combustion chambers/piston tops. I haven't had to do it on this bike but it works great and is a proven method. Watch the black **** roll out the pipes.
Steam cleaning at it's finest.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:40 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

This stuff!

Originally Posted by Stinger1

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner 05101 – 4.5 Wt. Oz., Plastic Safe Cleaner, Safe for Sensitive Electronics

Quick Reply: Cleaning grime under seat & elsewhere?