Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock exhaust w/o baffles vs. screamin eagles

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:13 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stock exhaust w/o baffles vs. screamin eagles

I'm looking to find out what the sound difference and performance would be like on my 2003 Low Rider with stock mufflers with baffles removed vs the Screamin Eagle mufflers? Wanted to know if it's worth the money to get the SE's. Sometimes my stock mufflers with the baffles removed sound a little tinny (if that's the word).

Thanks, John

Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you talking slip on's? I had a set of Screamin' Eagle slip ons on my Dyna for 5 years, they definitely are louder and sound better than stock.

I still have them, and would be willing to let you have them for whatever it'll cost to ship them if you're interested. That way if you don't like them you ain't out much.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:18 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Without any type of baffle there will be a tinny sound in most cases.
The SE mufflers will produce better sound but not so sure if you will get the louder sound you want. Unless it has the cat in the mufflers.
If your looking for a good sound at a low price rush is a good one to fall back on or do some research for some used ones.
I did have a set of SE mufflers on our super glide. Sounded really good with em. They were the 05 year if there is any difference.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:24 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure the stockers with a hole in the baffles or removed will be way louder. If you are getting the new SE's I wouldn't spend the money. IMO they sucked and were not much louder than stock at all. They came on my bike and only lasted about a month on my bike. Then I bought some V&H slip ons, waaaaay better. Performance who knows, but my seat of the pants dyno votes against the SE's. If you find some old SE II's that would be the way to go with the SE's. If you want to cheap out get a 1" thumb screw and make your own BCT baffle/lolly pop for a deeper tone and get some back pressure back. I'll post up the link when I find it.

Here's with the SE's on my 08 street bob. (click on the IMG)

Old 11-08-2014, 06:27 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's the V&H straight shots with the standard baffles

Old 11-08-2014, 06:31 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

I run short shots now, but here's an idea of the sound with BCT baffles and half of my stock baffle to quiet it back down a little.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's the thread with the thumb screw. Basically the same concept as the $70 BCT's for like $3. I wish I thought of this or welded my own washer into the stock baffle, but the BCT purchase was already made. If I were you try this without the stock baffles and see how they sound. The SE's are like $250 if I remember right, might as well get a full set of pipes. Buying the BCT baffles are always an option as well. Just measure correctly according to their website. My dad put short shots on his 90 FXR with BCT's and after 23 years of Pythons on that bike he loves the SS with BCT's.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...affle-mod.html

Old 11-08-2014, 10:22 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, Yes I was taking about SE slip-ons. The ones I saw were older and almost like in new shape and just said Screamin Eagle (didn't say Screamin Eagle II) and the ends curved out instead of just slashed cut.

I didn't want to spend any money if they're going sound like what I have. I really don't care if they're louder or are quieter, just looking for more of a deeper sound. I didn't know if putting aftermarket or Harley baffles back in would help any as mine don't have any baffles in them. You can see straight through and see the head pipes. The original baffles were just pressed in as I don't see any holding screw.

I even thought about getting a stock set of mufflers just to change the sound. I really didn't notice the tinny sound until I added a Dead Center Cycles batwing and that quieted down the wind noise.

Last edited by jcgribks; 11-08-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Understand. My V&H slip ons you can see straight through the pipe even with the standard baffle and sound tinny without them in. The BCT's sill add a deeper tone (you feel it thumping your chest at idle standing behind the bike), or as I said make your own lolly pop. The SEII's say "Screaming Eagle II" There should be a part number on the slip ons. Look it up and see if they are the newer 50 state ones. If you want it to sound like it did stock that's them.

You could also have someone ride your bike and see what it really sounds like. It's totally different than on the bike, or standing next to it revving it.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

I've already spent the money experimenting over the years and documented all the changes so hope this helps.

Here's with the BCT's and nothing else. I added half of the stock baffle in the earlier posted video because I didn't like the scavenging air sound when I left off the throttle. But on the throttle they sound insanely awesome.

Here's with the BCT QQ baffles before I cut them to make them the regular BCT's. I little quieter and not as lopey.

Quick Reply: stock exhaust w/o baffles vs. screamin eagles