Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower revs when idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

LAFO, go to the upper right corner and use the search function of this forum and again in the oil section and you'll come across many threads on your question. Don't pay attention to latrobedyna if you want to keep riding your bike.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

;^^^^ Latrobedyna, finally! Someone who knows what they are talking about, and not just spreading theories they read on the Internet.
THANK YOU SIR!

Last edited by Not E'nuff Harley; 01-19-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
LAFO, go to the upper right corner and use the search function of this forum and again in the oil section and you'll come across many threads on your question. Don't pay attention to latrobedyna if you want to keep riding your bike.
Hey ok i did not realize you was so damned smart. Tell then all about the oiling problems will ya. And not crap you read tell me what you really know tinkerbell.

OMG i bet your one them guys who swear your exhaust has to have back pressure as well. Your really not sure why it needs to have it but by golly you must have it. I should learn to stay off this site. While there some good to great poster's on here there some real fruit loops too.

Last edited by latrobedyna; 01-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll go ahead and do the search, but doubt oil threads contain input on low revs. I recently read a lot of threads on oil before switching to Mobil 1 V-Twin.

I read all comments people leave on my post. I don't take any answers as wrong, just the best opinion a fellow rider and owner can offer. I will take all comments to consideration before doing anything as always. The more comments I get from everyone the more informed I am to troubleshoot problems or prevent them 👍😎

Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer

Originally Posted by Not E'nuff Harley
;^^^^ Latrobedyna, finally! Someone who knows what they are talking about, and not just spreading theories they read on the Internet.
THANK YOU SIR!
LOL your most welcomed. I love how some folks think because there heard this same story a thousand times that it has to be right. Adolph Hitler knew the value of that and you seen what happened to Germany. I wrenched on many motors over the years. I can tell you the 06 dyna and all models 07 and newer have great oil pumps and better oil systems then any year's before them. And at 800 rpm's the op will have plenty of oil pressure.

What will drop is the charging voltage however. And the op or any one else can check all this very easy if the just stop listening to the crap that's floating around the net and simply set the RPM @ 800 let the bike idle several minutes and check both the oil pressure and the charging voltage. They will then find out what is what. LOL but don't listen to me if your want to ride long. I liked that comment i sure he too has logged well over 500K miles on his bikes over the years. and i did all that on a knuckle Shovel (gasp a AMF) and a twinky not bad i say.

Last edited by latrobedyna; 01-19-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Running the idle too low on rpm's will result in premature bearing and compensator failure as the sumping mechanics of the Twincam engine cannot provide enough oil pressure to lubricate and remove heat build up on internal components of the motor. And yes the stator on the twin cams will not provide enough charging to the system to give the energy required to constantly pressurize the fuel pump. Haven't logged over 500 K on my bikes but I'm right there @ 200.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Generally speaking, I avoid taking advice from people who say "OMG" and can barely speak proper English.

Having said that, I do think that electrical charging is the biggest issue with the EFI TCs. However, every bit of literature from the Moco says VERY specifically that TCs will not oil properly below 900rpms. So just keep it above 900 and you should be fine. And honestly, unless you do cams, your stock TC isn't going to sound like an EVO no matter how low the rpms.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by latrobedyna
OMG i bet your one them guys who swear your exhaust has to have back pressure as well. Your really not sure why it needs to have it but by golly you must have it.
Because of this statement alone, you truly are an idiot.

One thing I recently learned going to the Harley museum in Milwaukee is that ALL of the earliest Harleys had VERY pinched off exhausts. All those F-heads, flatheads...you name it in the early 1900s, pretty much all came stock with 2 into 1 exhausts with very closed-off ends. And this had nothing to do with noise or emissions regulations, it was because all those *stupid* engineers knew that in order to develop good torque, you can't have a fat, wide-open exhaust. That **** started much later, mostly by guys who wanted to make a lot of noise. I'm not sure why I'm even telling you all of this though, cuz you obviously know better.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 AM
latrobedyna
Tourer

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Because of this statement alone, you truly are an idiot.

One thing I recently learned going to the Harley museum in Milwaukee is that ALL of the earliest Harleys had VERY pinched off exhausts. All those F-heads, flatheads...you name it in the early 1900s, pretty much all came stock with 2 into 1 exhausts with very closed-off ends. And this had nothing to do with noise or emissions regulations, it was because all those *stupid* engineers knew that in order to develop good torque, you can't have a fat, wide-open exhaust. That **** started much later, mostly by guys who wanted to make a lot of noise. I'm not sure why I'm even telling you all of this though, cuz you obviously know better.
Never said you need a fat wide open pipe. It is all about reversion wave management. The 2 stroke folks did a excellent job demonstrating that with the expansion chamber. ThunderHeader did a good job as well with a couple tricks they know. Sorry my grammar not up to your standard . i skipped out of english classes a lot in school. And instead spent time in shop class. i knew i was never going to need to recite Shakespeare for a living.

Last edited by latrobedyna; 01-20-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
However, every bit of literature from the Moco says VERY specifically that TCs will not oil properly below 900rpms.
A link or a reference, please?

Quick Reply: Lower revs when idle