Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower revs when idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 AM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lower revs when idle

Got a Fuelpak 3 and it lets me lower revs on my bike. I've heard some old bikes rev on idle real low and sounds real nice. Does this damage the engine in any way? Does it cause it to over heat? Or does it improve engine life and lower engine wear? Haven't tried it yet. Fp3 support doesn't go into details on all the features and there's no catalogue or instructions on hoy to program the bike for different things, so here I am. Asking the real pro's, the guys that ride and have learned through experience. 👍

Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LAFO
Got a Fuelpak 3 and it lets me lower revs on my bike. I've heard some old bikes rev on idle real low and sounds real nice. Does this damage the engine in any way? Does it cause it to over heat? Or does it improve engine life and lower engine wear? Haven't tried it yet. Fp3 support doesn't go into details on all the features and there's no catalogue or instructions on hoy to program the bike for different things, so here I am. Asking the real pro's, the guys that ride and have learned through experience. 👍
Don't go too low or there will not be enough oil pressure at idle.

With that said, I have the Powervision and my idle is set at 925 rpms with no issues for last 3 years.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine is idling at 850 with no problems. I run an oil pressure gauge and on a 100 deg. day pressure is 22 psi.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM
LAFO
Cruiser

I don't even have an oil pressure monitor.

Lower RpM on idle equals lower oil pressure, which can damage de engine why?

Isn't more speed, more oil and vice versa?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:18 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LAFO
I don't even have an oil pressure monitor.

Lower RpM on idle equals lower oil pressure, which can damage de engine why?

Isn't more speed, more oil and vice versa?
If your engine is spinning slower it will not rotate the oil pump as fast. Baisley spring or Axtell setup comes especially handy here (good upgrade to do along with cam/engine build).

Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

"Oil pressure" doesn't have much to do with proper lubrication of ball and roller bearings, like it does with plain bearings (bushings).

Take your wheel bearings, for example. Virtually no oil pressure.

I've read tons of posts here warning about the dangers of low oil pressures at low idle speeds, but haven't yet seen anything solid to back it up.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-19-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:52 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Also remember that normally you wouldn't set your idle rpm too low until the engine warms up and then gradually goes lower. I have an FP3 as well, I think it starts at cold temps at around 1600rpm and gradually goes down to about 950 on mine

Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I wouldn't go lower than 900 RPM on idle. If you want to go lower, sell the twincam and get an EVO powered bike with a carburetor.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM
LAFO
Cruiser

Ok, I get what everyone is saying.

I do like my engine, it's a 96" V-Twin that pushes my Dyna hard enough with no leaks and reliability.

Carb doesn't have oil pressure problems at low rev?

I did notice on the Fuelpak that as engine heats up, it is set to lower revs. guess it lowers head temp. Right? Wrong?

Also, I noticed on a road trip, through some mountain area, that when I slowed down on the top with a bit cold weather, my revs went down really low. Can't recall if it was mid 800's, but it did a galloping horse sound. Real nice.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Oil pressure problem is more of a urban myth i guess you call it. In 2006 they made carbed and EFI bikes and your right oil was not a so called problem with a carb. Here is the real story. The EFI bikes need to idle higher so they can keep up the charge in the electrical system. They Fuel pump and ECU pull to much current so the alternator has to keep every one happy at idle. If you drop to low the alterntor wont keep up wth the battery is all if you dont let the bike sit in traffic etc etc and idle long nothing will happen at 800 rpm

Quick Reply: Lower revs when idle