Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt deflection question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Belt deflection question

Still working on some odds and ends related to the 5k service. Shop manual says that belt deflection should be between 1/4inch and 5/16" It also says that each mark in the deflection window is roughly 1/16". This makes no sense to me, even by eye it seems like the belt deflects way more than a quarter of an inch and when I use a ruler that is true it's basically over a half inch. I am following proper procedure using the tool at 10lbs and making sure that I'm holding it properly. Bike on the jiffy stand with no weight. Belt does not seem to flop around.

If I use count the hash marks in the window though it seems like I'm still within spec.

Could anyone tell from these pics if I need to adjust or not?

Belt deflected

At rest

Old 01-24-2015, 09:27 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

To me it looks like the belt is deflecting ~ 6/16" - a bit loose. If your gauge is like mine it should have a litlle rubber o-ring that moves the same amount as the belt that tells you your deflection too.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
To me it looks like the belt is deflecting ~ 6/16" - a bit loose. If your gauge is like mine it should have a litlle rubber o-ring that moves the same amount as the belt that tells you your deflection too.
I'll take a look. It's the stock harley tool. It does have an o-ring on the body but it doesn't rest on anything to actually cause it to move. I guess I could push it against the debris deflector?

I guess the main thing is if I should actually be looking at those hash marks as my guide (they certainly seem spaced more than 1/16" between each heck the entire spec deflection according the manual is less than 7mm. But if I should be using those hash marks then at least it gives me something to use as my guide.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Each one of the marks = 1/8" of deflection So you have 1/2" of deflection. It could be a little bit tighter . Just don't get it to tight
Clap

Last edited by clap; 01-24-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

ok that at least makes more sense to me, strange that the manual says each is 1/16" when it's obviously not.

Ultimately then I may be overstating the deflection but I do need to tighten it up a bit to 1/4" or two hash marks, correct?

Just don't want to over-tighten. Since I have you two on the thread, do you know what socket size for rear axle?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

With the deflection tool at rest, push the o-ring against the body of the tool. When you use it, the o-ring will move down the plunger the amount the belt is deflecting, so when you release it, you can measure that distance.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by clap
Each one of the marks = 1/8" of deflection So you have 1/2" of deflection. It could be a little bit tighter . Just don't get it to tight
Clap
Good catch, but I was counting about 6 marks(kinda hard to be precise from pic) so I see about 6/8" deflection, anyway my SM says 1/8" per mark too.

Rob, that o-ring is slid to the bottom of the part you put against the belt and as you push up it should slide down to the 10 lb mark to take your proper measurement through that deflection viewing window that you took picks of.

Much better if I review my SM before posting!

Last edited by HD Pilot; 01-24-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
I'll take a look. It's the stock harley tool. It does have an o-ring on the body but it doesn't rest on anything to actually cause it to move. I guess I could push it against the debris deflector?

I guess the main thing is if I should actually be looking at those hash marks as my guide (they certainly seem spaced more than 1/16" between each heck the entire spec deflection according the manual is less than 7mm. But if I should be using those hash marks then at least it gives me something to use as my guide.
My book says deflections are 1/8" apart. Put the ruler up against the graduations to confirm what the deflections are on the belt guard. Like Alan I count 6 markings.

The book didn't explain which marks to look at well enough to me so I used the ruler to figure out which marks counted toward the 1/8". From there I count how many and adjust until it's proper.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:05 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
With the deflection tool at rest, push the o-ring against the body of the tool. When you use it, the o-ring will move down the plunger the amount the belt is deflecting, so when you release it, you can measure that distance.
I don't think this is right because you could put that gauge against a brick wall and push it to the 10 lb mark and the plunger/o-ring will move but the wall does not. Was what I was thinking at first too.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 01-24-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
I don't think this is right because you could put that gauge against a brick wall and push it to the 10 lb mark and the plunger/o-ring will move but the wall does not. Was what I was thinking at first too.
Yeah thanks, I thought I had this all wrong. So far it seems like the only o-ring that moves is the one on the plunger to ensure I'm at 10lbs. There is another larger o-ring on the body of the tool but the body does not move. That being said I realize what I could easily do is with the bike at rest, position the larger o-ring at the lip of the debris deflector, mark it, then push to 10lbs so that the larger 0-ring moves and then measure the difference. I will also measure the hash marks for giggles.

I swear I am not smoking crack, this is what the manual says. I'm frankly now surprised by the 1/4 inch deflection that I need to get to but c'est la vie

Quick Reply: Belt deflection question