Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New from South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New from South Carolina

Hello all,
I am Kevin (WoodButcher66). I have been riding motorcycles off and on for a while. I recently purchased my first Harley, a 2005 Super Glide Custom.
I need to make a few changes to the bike to make it mine. But that will have to wait until finds allow.
I look forward to learning about my new bike, getting advice on mods and repairs and possibility being able to help someone in the future.

I do have a couple of questions. Between the rear fender and the strut there is a black iron "spacer" maybe 10 inches long that fills any gap that would be between the strut and the fender. The spacer has slots cut that allow it to be dropped in from the top and then rest on the bolts. I want to place a Bad&G Customs saddlebag on my bike. I can't install the bag the way it's supposed to be installed because of this spacer. So, I need to remove this black spacer and replace it with different spacers at each bolt so there is a gap between the fender and the strut.
Can someone tell me what this spacer is? Why is it on my bike and not on any other bikes I have looked at? Can I replace it with two spacers without causing any problems.

TIA,
Kevin

Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Here you go:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....REAR-W/-COVERS

Looks like just a spacer to me.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How do the saddle bags mount?
Does it not use the fender strut bolt holes?
Got a link to them?
I have a 05 super glide

Old 02-18-2015, 12:58 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Just loosen up the fender bolts, run the leather staps around the struts (between the strut and the spacers), secure the bags and tighten up the bolts, the leather won't make so much of a difference that it would cause any issues.

And welcome to the forum, you will learns tons here and sometimes wish you never found this place, it gets expensive reading thru these threads.

Last edited by blueangel73; 02-18-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Lubbock Texas!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:50 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Welcome brother!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

To all, Thanks for the welcome.

izzyryder - Thanks for the link to the parts site. That will most likely be very helpful in the future. The Spacer 52372-02 is the spacer I was referring to. Thanks again for the link.

dirtdobber - the bag has leather straps that wrap around the fender struts and buckle inside the bag. It does not use the fender studs.

blueangel73 - That is what I did. I am concerned the leather between the strut and the spacer will eventually fail due to be "crushed" between the two parts. Have you used one of these bags mounted that way? If so, did it hold up? Installing the bag the way you suggested and the way I did does cause a small gap but it doesn't look bad at all. I don't think most people would notice it. And yes I can see where browsing this site will get expensive.

Thanks again to every one that responded.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodButcher66
To all, Thanks for the welcome.

izzyryder - Thanks for the link to the parts site. That will most likely be very helpful in the future. The Spacer 52372-02 is the spacer I was referring to. Thanks again for the link.

dirtdobber - the bag has leather straps that wrap around the fender struts and buckle inside the bag. It does not use the fender studs.

blueangel73 - That is what I did. I am concerned the leather between the strut and the spacer will eventually fail due to be "crushed" between the two parts. Have you used one of these bags mounted that way? If so, did it hold up? Installing the bag the way you suggested and the way I did does cause a small gap but it doesn't look bad at all. I don't think most people would notice it. And yes I can see where browsing this site will get expensive.

Thanks again to every one that responded.
Where are you in SC. I'm in Savannah and could help with the bags.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
SCJoe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Charleston!

Quick Reply: New from South Carolina