Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50500247 Footboard kit from Switchback to '06FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another easy fix if you have a welder is to cut each rod and use a section froom each to make the one you need. You could have someone else weld it for a couple bucks if you don't have the equipment.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It only rubs just a little. If I grind the rod down a little I'd only have to take 1/8" off or less. I'll try and adjust it tonight to see how much I'll need to grind off. I have it all the way screwed in and no threads showing. I still have to finish up the left side anyway before I can test ride it to see where I'd like the brake peddle to be.

I should have paid more attention to the pictures of this take off kit and the HD kit. But then the HD kit 50500247 says in the fitment page that it is stock on all '12-later FLD models so one would think that all the parts in the kit are the same as the FLD's.

I'll get it fixed it's really no big deal. I was just wondering if anyone else had an issue with these take off kits. I figure I saved $82 off the kit as one HD dealership had the HD kit listed for $332 shipped. Plus this take off kit included a new shift lever and peg.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

On mine, the rod is only screwed in just a bit...not just hanging on by a thread but enough to be secure.

A smooth grind on the rod and some paint and it will look stock.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 PM
rgb66
Club Member
Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

In the kit is says the brake rod (push rod) is not sold separately, but it is available from the dealer or the Interweb parts dealers. It will cost ~$75 msrp (ouch!)

I would be heating and bending.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I just installed the footboard kit on my bike, swapped over from the Forward Control kit. The kit I got was from a forum members and he replaced the D boards with the Half Moon boards. The first pic below shows all the parts from the kit that I used (green arrow) and and what I didn't use (red X). The transmission linkages, outer forward shift lever and shift linkage bar are exactly the same (shape and size wise). The inner shift lever is different, the forward control one arches counter clockwise and the footboard one arches clockwise.

I did notice that if your exhaust doesn't have the clearance provide by the forward headpipe at the peg area like mine does, then clearance is going to be an issue. This is circled in the second pic.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Julia's Dad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blueangel; was the brake rod similar in the footboard kit as in the forwards? I have the same issue with the switchback rod not working for my FXDB.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Julia's Dad
blueangel; was the brake rod similar in the footboard kit as in the forwards? I have the same issue with the switchback rod not working for my FXDB.
I want to say that my old forward control brake rod looks much like the one in this pic, but I am not 100% sure. When I get home I will verify. I can tell you this, the rod I removed when I put the footboards on had a dime-to-nickel size rust mark on it, I believe it rubbed when I had the stock exhaust on just enough to put a dimple into the rod. I will try and get some pics of the rod, the spot I am talking about and an idea of where it was rubbing.

The brake rod I installed with the footboard kit I am 99.9% sure looks just like the one in the pic below. I didn't notice any rubbing and I also had to apply just enough thread into the master cylinder to seat it and apply the lock nut, anything more and the brake pedal would be damn near on/level with footboard. I will try an get some pics of the rod installed to show if there are any clearance issues.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Julia's Dad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I want to say that my old forward control brake rod looks much like the one in this pic, but I am not 100% sure. When I get home I will verify. I can tell you this, the rod I removed when I put the footboards on had a dime-to-nickel size rust mark on it, I believe it rubbed when I had the stock exhaust on just enough to put a dimple into the rod. I will try and get some pics of the rod, the spot I am talking about and an idea of where it was rubbing.

The brake rod I installed with the footboard kit I am 99.9% sure looks just like the one in the pic below. I didn't notice any rubbing and I also had to apply just enough thread into the master cylinder to seat it and apply the lock nut, anything more and the brake pedal would be damn near on/level with footboard. I will try an get some pics of the rod installed to show if there are any clearance issues.
Thx! The rod in your 1st pic is the switchback rod that I have. It will not fit without heating/bending/modding in my '13 FXDB. My headpipes are stock.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine is on and working fine. No clearance issues with the Python 2-1.

I did switch out the tranny lever since I wanted to remove my 30T pulley anyway which meant pulling the primary.

This pic shows the stock from my 06 Bob compared to the switchback one: