Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR With Metric Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:29 AM
VHinch
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FXR With Metric Speedo

I've come across a 1994 FXR in incredibly good condition with ~17k miles. The only issue I have with the bike is it has a metric speedometer. How big of a deal would it be to swap for a standard speedo?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just get another and put it on?

How on earth can that be a big deal

Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 AM
VHinch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nikolaiownz
Just get another and put it on?

How on earth can that be a big deal
I probably could have asked the question better. I"m sure adding an aftermarket speedo wouldn't be any real trouble at all, I was wondering more about replacing the metric with a standard that a) is correct for the bike, and b) can be set for the correct existing mileage. I assume that's something an HD dealer would need to do?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:03 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Replacing it with one that is "correct" for the bike may be a problem. But you will need the part number of that speedo to know for sure. If your model on 1994 speedo was used on various other models, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a used replacement. Setting it to matched mileage would probably have to be done at a specialty shop.

My speedo just failed a couple weeks ago and I've come to find that mine was exclusive to only the FXRS-Con and FXRS-SP from 1991 to 1993. I can technically replace it with Dyna or Sporty speedo, but my self canceling signals will no longer cancel.

However with all the above said, I personally wouldn't pass on the opportunity to score a nice, clean 94 because of a metric speedo. I'd either learn to deal with the metric or pay the price to replace it. What model FXR is it?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 PM
VHinch
Advanced

It's an FXLR, extremely clean, and I think I can get in it around $4k.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice, it has the mid-controls which are highly desired. Looks pretty much stock except for the Wide Glide trees, bars, headlight. But you can find the stock trees on eBay pretty cheap, and they're easy enough to change.

If that ride checks out ok, it would be a great buy at $4k IMO.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM
VHinch
Advanced

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:05 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you can get it for 4k buy it!!!! That's an insane price. FXRs go for big money on my side of the country. I haven't seen one for less than 7 and that's needing work. You lucky dog!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,933 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by VHinch
I probably could have asked the question better. I"m sure adding an aftermarket speedo wouldn't be any real trouble at all, I was wondering more about replacing the metric with a standard that a) is correct for the bike, and b) can be set for the correct existing mileage. I assume that's something an HD dealer would need to do?
Nice find there dude.

You can buy a brand new speedo from Ronnie's HD for $138.99...part #67025-91. This is the correct speedo (in MPH) for a '94 FXLR. If you're buying the speedo from a dealer, (like Ronnie's), they will set the mileage to whatever you tell them.

$4K??? ****** that bike up now! They're giving it away. The only other non standard part I saw on the bike (besides what Rich pointed out), was the rear fender. Looks like something off of a wide glide or softail.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 AM
VHinch
Advanced

I should know better, but I thought about it too long and the bike is gone.

On to the next one I suppose.

Quick Reply: FXR With Metric Speedo