Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10-up wide glide owners don't use a led with separate turn function/color

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:27 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts
Default 10-up wide glide owners don't use a led with separate turn function/color

Got my x arc led lights yesterday. Drilled the location and mounted them. Found out after looking at the wiring diagram a fourth time the body module sends power for brake through the turn signal wire. So if you want a separate turn from the brake light its not possible in this case. The 12v from applying brake causes the turn to illuminate as brake. These lights have 2 color LEDs. Yellow for turn, and red for running and stop. Even adding the wire to the factory wire that would serve if a rear brake lamp is present does not prevent this either. Can't figure out a way to get the turn circuit to not apply 12v with brake. Can only eliminate the yellow turn and allow the red brake to function as turn as well.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Got my x arc led lights yesterday. Drilled the location and mounted them. Found out after looking at the wiring diagram a fourth time the body module sends power for brake through the turn signal wire. So if you want a separate turn from the brake light its not possible in this case. The 12v from applying brake causes the turn to illuminate as brake. These lights have 2 color LEDs. Yellow for turn, and red for running and stop. Even adding the wire to the factory wire that would serve if a rear brake lamp is present does not prevent this either. Can't figure out a way to get the turn circuit to not apply 12v with brake. Can only eliminate the yellow turn and allow the red brake to function as turn as well.
You can get the BCM reprogrammed at the dealer to do what you want.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought LEDs from Custom Dynamics and they are plug and play. Very easy to install and work great. Make sure to buy the load equalizer. My front signals are white for running but blink amber when the signal is on.

My rear lights have always been running/turning and were always red. I put the red LEDs in them. 24 LEDs light up when running and 24 more light up when braking. I think all of them flash when turning.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 812 Likes on 545 Posts

not to hijack your post..

Firewoman, I'm considering their F/R kit that comes complete w/ EQ and the Triple Smart Play Module to set the rears. Your tail & turns light up? Did you use their module or the HD unit? I was told by CD that the HD unit wont power the rears, I was thinking white rings & amber turn for front and all red for rear. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

sorry bout the hijack sly.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

^ don't worry about hijacking.
My 12 can't have the can bus reprogrammed for this situation per numerous dealers and a few techs I know and trust. I have just eleminated the yellow turn and use the brake wire as both brake and turn as before. Firewoman since my bike is can bus I do not need a load equalizer. The is a module for touring models that will do what I want but not worth $75 just to have the yellow turn. These little lights are killer though. The light is about the diameter of a quarter. Here is a pic of run and stop.

Running lights

Stop

Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
not to hijack your post..

Firewoman, I'm considering their F/R kit that comes complete w/ EQ and the Triple Smart Play Module to set the rears. Your tail & turns light up? Did you use their module or the HD unit? I was told by CD that the HD unit wont power the rears, I was thinking white rings & amber turn for front and all red for rear. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

sorry bout the hijack sly.
Not trying to highjack, I'm just really happy with how my new light set up turned out and want to share with others. The people I work with are sick of hearing about it. LOL

My bike doesn't have a separate tail light. It has the 2 lights on the back that are turning signals and tail lights at the same time.

I didn't buy the module that lets you customize how your tail lights flash but I might add that in the future. I got the cluster lights. The inner 24 LEDs are the tail lights. When I apply the brake the outer ring of 24 also light up.

I've got all red for the rear and the white/amber on the front with clear lenses on the front and red lenses on the rear. Do not put clear lenses on the rear or they will end up looking pink.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, My current set-up is smoked lenses so I'll stick with that. I'm going to purchase the kit and add the tail light also, I have a PIAA bulb for the headlight but yet to install it, going to do them all at once.

Were the fronts a plug & play also? I like the white ring up front with amber turns.
thanks again.

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I didn't buy the module that lets you customize how your tail lights flash but I might add that in the future. I got the cluster lights. The inner 24 LEDs are the tail lights. When I apply the brake the outer ring of 24 also light up.

I've got all red for the rear and the white/amber on the front with clear lenses on the front and red lenses on the rear. Do not put clear lenses on the rear or they will end up looking pink.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:50 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Sly, that looks really cool....almost like its smiling at ya....haha

Originally Posted by slyedog;14038242
[IMG
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdforums.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-img_20150520_080824023_6a7c5c7e6f8577067e11b9c7a5e c06d33b19a499.jpg[/IMG]

Running lights

Stop

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
I love the X-Arc lights. I had the all-red dual intensity version on my Dyna. I thought it would be cool to have the red/yellow on the Sportster, but I had the same issue you described.

Can you tell me where I can get the module that makes the dual color work?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
I love the X-Arc lights. I had the all-red dual intensity version on my Dyna. I thought it would be cool to have the red/yellow on the Sportster, but I had the same issue you described.

Can you tell me where I can get the module that makes the dual color work?
https://www.customdynamics.com/turn_signal_decoder.htm
don't know for sure if it'll work it is for touring models

Quick Reply: 10-up wide glide owners don't use a led with separate turn function/color