Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for mechanical upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Tomas377
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for mechanical upgrades

The bike is an 01 fxdxt. I just sold my jap bike so I'll have some cash to mess with the dyna.

Anyway I do a lot of riding to and from work on a major interstate. Im usually doing 65 because when I get up to 70-75ish I hardly have any roll on torque.

I'm wanting to do some upgrades to the bike that'll let me do 75 comfortably.

Bike has a custom exhaust and a open k&n ac

Other question is that i was looking at big bore kits etc and saw s&s has a 107. Would that even fit my frame? and is there any way I can save money when boring out the jugs or buying bigger ones in regards to part interchangeability?

Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Unless you bore out your cases or go to a stroker set up(longer connecting rods), I believe the S&S 97" kit is as big as you can go. With the right cams, I think it would satisfy you completely.

Also recommend posting this question in the Tech & Mech > Engine Mech area of this Forum - a lot of smart engine types moniter, although a couple just want your $$....

Where in Texas? I know of one really good shop in the DFW area.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Tomas377
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Unless you bore out your cases or go to a stroker set up(longer connecting rods), I believe the S&S 97" kit is as big as you can go. With the right cams, I think it would satisfy you completely.

Also recommend posting this question in the Tech & Mech > Engine Mech area of this Forum - a lot of smart engine types moniter, although a couple just want your $$....

Where in Texas? I know of one really good shop in the DFW area.
Right near Houston.

I'm not to familiar to the grease monkey language lol. What does going to a striker entail? And are there any good cams I could put in with the stock lift? The one I was eyeing was the s&s 583 but I'm guessing I'd still need some modifications to run it.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomas377
Right near Houston.

I'm not to familiar to the grease monkey language lol. What does going to a striker entail? And are there any good cams I could put in with the stock lift? The one I was eyeing was the s&s 583 but I'm guessing I'd still need some modifications to run it.
With a stroker upgrade you install slightly longer rods that attach to your pistons and thus a longer stroke and bigger cubic inches with the taller cylinders that will go with the upgrade. Gets very pricy, so I would not worry about it unless you really want to go big.

I think the 583 cams would be too high of lift for your stock cylinder heads - again, several of the guy in the Engine Tech Forum would know exactly. But know this, you can always get new springs installed in your cylinder heads if you want to run higher lift cams. Everything boils down t $$$, need to determine your budget then you will be able to determine what to do.

Those 583 cams "hit" in the low rpms, good for burn outs and quick off the line, but I think there are better choices for a dyna. I would think S&S 510s would be a good choice as a bolt in for an 88"er.

Here is what I would do if you got about $2500: S&S 97", basic headwork ~$600, cams(Andrews 54 maybe), lifters, adj pushrods, dyno tune, plus all the gaskets/oil/tools etc. If you pay somebody, probably about $1000 more.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 05-30-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Tomas377
6th Gear

With a stroker upgrade you install slightly longer rods that attach to your pistons and thus a longer stroke and bigger cubic inches with the taller cylinders that will go with the upgrade. Gets very pricy, so I would not worry about it unless you really want to go big.

I think the 583 cams would be too high of lift for your stock cylinder heads - again, several of the guy in the Engine Tech Forum would know exactly. But know this, you can always get new springs installed in your cylinder heads if you want to run higher lift cams. Everything boils down t $$$, need to determine your budget then you will be able to determine what to do.

Those 583 cams "hit" in the low rpms, good for burn outs and quick off the line, but I think there are better choices for a dyna. I would think S&S 510s would be a good choice as a bolt in for an 88"er.

Here is what I would do if you got about $2500: S&S 97", basic headwork ~$600, cams(Andrews 54 maybe), lifters, adj pushrods, dyno tune, plus all the gaskets/oil/tools etc. If you pay somebody, probably about $1000 more.
Awesome. I'll look into the smaller cams. Money is of concern but not too bad right now since just today I sold my other bike for 3400. All that will be play money for this bike.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a "stroker" you are changing the crankshaft, not necessarily the rods. Rods have no effect on how far the piston travels up and down. I'm not too familiar with how they do the stroker kits on these bikes yet, but if you increase crank throw and keep stock rod length then the cylinders would have to be taller. On cars a lot of strokers use slightly shorter rods or move the piston pin up to compensate for the added length. Anyway, to stroke the motor requires splitting the cases and installing a new crankshaft. I believe the most common cubic inch upgrade on these is putting in bigger pistons/cylinder bores, that aren't any different dimensionally on the outside. I know that's what most of the 88 to 95 c.i. and 96 to 103 c.i. upgrades are. Much simpler, don't require splitting cases, just pull the heads, cylinders, and pistons.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Lozano brothers in texas. It probably two hrs or so away but would be money well spent im sure.