Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim - shows scratches, touch up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Black Denim - shows scratches, touch up?

So I love the look of the black denim. Love it. BUT, I'm finding out, it kind of shows smudges and scrathes very easily...and the worst part is, you can't buff or wax them out! I asked HD today if they had touchup paint - they did... $36 for a nail polish sized bottle. I nearly died. I passed on the paint and figured there must be a better alternative.

Is there an alternative touch up paint? What do you guys do for small scratches? Nothing to the metal, just scuffs - like where the touring seat left a little mark or where the sissybar brackets rubbed a little...

Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
So I love the look of the black denim. Love it. BUT, I'm finding out, it kind of shows smudges and scrathes very easily...and the worst part is, you can't buff or wax them out! I asked HD today if they had touchup paint - they did... $36 for a nail polish sized bottle. I nearly died. I passed on the paint and figured there must be a better alternative.

Is there an alternative touch up paint? What do you guys do for small scratches? Nothing to the metal, just scuffs - like where the touring seat left a little mark or where the sissybar brackets rubbed a little...
I always left them. Denim is supposed to show wear. That's point of the paint. Or did they not give you the brochure explaining that?

Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 203Cree
I always left them. Denim is supposed to show wear. That's point of the paint. Or did they not give you the brochure explaining that?
What he said. Dealers totally fail to explain the point of the "denim" paint. Think of a pair of jeans as they age...

Old 06-13-2015, 11:34 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 668 Posts

As they said, the denim black is suppose to look like a meth head that lives in a shack 12 miles off a dirt road painted the bike with a rattle can while he was doped up, that rat rod home brew jerry rigged look, ya know?. What gets me is they charge more for that cheaper look.

Best alternative... get a nice clear coated paint or have it powder coated matte black. However Chemical guys does make a car wash soap, spray detailer, and sealant (synthetic wax) for matte paint jobs.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 06-13-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:39 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
As they said, the denim black is suppose to look like a meth head that lives in a shack 12 miles off a dirt road painted the bike with a rattle can while he was doped up, that rat rod home brew jerry rigged look, ya know?. What gets me is they charge more for that cheaper look.

Best alternative... get a nice clear coated paint or have it powder coated matte black. However Chemical guys does make a car wash soap, spray detailer, and sealant (synthetic wax) for matte paint jobs.

Tell us how you really feel ! LOL
If you have that cheap clear coated shiny paint it shows scratches too. It does not touch up well at all....
If you clean it the smudges will go away, just like gloss paint. Scratches are scratches, doesn't matter what paint finish you have. HD charges a lot for their touch up paint regardless.
If you did have the gloss you could steal a teenage girls finger nail polish and touch up your paint like classy people do.....

Old 06-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s

That is where you are wrong, it is not a "cheaper" look. It is a desirable look that is so played out at this point its disgusting.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
That is where you are wrong, it is not a "cheaper" look. It is a desirable look that is so played out at this point its disgusting.
Looks cheap to me, just like somebody went to walamrt and picked up a few cans of Plasti-dip and went to town.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Tell us how you really feel ! LOL
If you have that cheap clear coated shiny paint it shows scratches too. It does not touch up well at all....
If you clean it the smudges will go away, just like gloss paint. Scratches are scratches, doesn't matter what paint finish you have. HD charges a lot for their touch up paint regardless.
If you did have the gloss you could steal a teenage girls finger nail polish and touch up your paint like classy people do.....
at least with a gloss clear coat small scratches can be polished out pretty easy and most larger scratches can at least be made less visible.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:45 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I do like the matte finish... does it look cheap? I'm not sure about that... But I do hate how you can't buff it for small scratches. I bought HD's cleaner for it too and it seems like it just streaks and smudges. I'll have to check out that chemical brothers...

Old 06-14-2015, 10:19 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Typical internet keyboard 'so called' tough guys 'trying' to put something the guy likes down. It's ridiculous . . as far as scratches . . I live with them. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. Personally, I like the denim paint on my bike a lot. Have a semi deep scratch on rear fender . . it is what it is.

. . the body shop next door to my studio has a new $70,000 flat grey Audi that has hood damage. Special paint from the factory . . looks cool as hell. FAR from 'cheap' looking. Of course there are always those who feel the need to bring someone down.

Quick Reply: Black Denim - shows scratches, touch up?