Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust stud broken in head

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM
apetterez
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust stud broken in head

Ok so my buddy calls me and tells me he has "this thing" rattling on his pipes. So i come over to check it out and his exhaust flange is off the studs. I guess the nut rattled off and the other is broken....well now what would be the easiest way to get the broken stud out of his head?

Also i looked up the torque spec for the exhaust stud flange nuts and it says it 60 to 80 in lbs. Thats doesnt seem tight enough when i replace the nut on the remaining stud and torqued down.....its what the manuel calls for but it seems like it isnt tight enough

Any thoughts or tips and tricks?

Old 06-21-2015, 05:21 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Is it broken off flush with the engine? If you have a steady hand an easy out might work but the easiest way might be to pull the engine and get the cylinder in a drill press or give it to a machine shop to do.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

If flush or below the surface, bolt the flange in place and use that as a guide for the drill.
If you don't feel like you can do this, take the head off and take it to a shop.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:44 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I broke one a couple months ago, and ofcourse it was the one behind the frame rail.,, I was taking my bike for a bunch of service stuff the next day anyway so I asked the dealer to fix it who told me it should only be about $100.. well then they had to pull the motor, would be 3 hours.. I said okay, then 2 days later they had to send it to a machine shop,, that was another amost $200,, so like $500 in total to fix it,,

had I known it was going to cost that much I would have just bought some dremel tools & worked on it myself..

I've never got an easy out to work in my life,, I've heard you should use them with a hammer drill... I've always drilled the stud out,, in a tight spot, A high speed small tool like a dremel would be ideal to start the drilling.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:54 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to drill a hole in the broken stud in order to get a broken bolt extractor in it. Even that may not work. The bolt extractor might not do the job. (PB Blaster will help, but no guarantees.) You could even break the hardened bolt extractor off in the hole. (YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!) If the bolt extractor doesn't do the job, you may have to drill the hole out to near the inside diameter of the stud's threads, and pick the pieces out. Maybe even use a Helicoil to repair the damaged threads.

In order for all this to be possible, the hole you drill has to be roughly a half to two thirds the diameter of the broken bolt. And this is important: THE HOLE HAS TO BE EXACTLY STRAIGHT AND TRUE INSIDE THE BROKEN STUD.

It's really hard, if not damn near impossible, to drill this hole straight like this with the head still on the bike.

Assembling the exhaust with some anti-sieze on the threads (and strictly following the torquing procedures) will alleviate this problem in the future.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:12 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I just tightened mine down (by feel) after an exhaust change. Thanks for the reminder, no more tightening without a torque wrench!

Old 06-21-2015, 06:38 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjo3491
I just tightened mine down (by feel) after an exhaust change. Thanks for the reminder, no more tightening without a torque wrench!
I only use a torque wrench for motor assembly heads/rockers important stuff, never used on any thing else no issues in 40 years working on bikes/cars breaking bolts nuts, blue lock tight only ,,, unless red is called for

Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First, you need a good centre. If the broken surface is flat, you may be able to use a centre punch. If not, you may have to use a motor-tool to mark the centre.

Second, you should really use a left hand drill so you don't drive the broken stud deeper into the head.

Third, drilling a hole at the proper angle requires a pretty good hand and eye - if you screw it up, you have bigger problems!

A couple hundred dollars for a machine shop is a pretty good deal compared to replacing a damaged head.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

Originally Posted by DianneB
First, you need a good centre. If the broken surface is flat, you may be able to use a centre punch. If not, you may have to use a motor-tool to mark the centre.

Second, you should really use a left hand drill so you don't drive the broken stud deeper into the head.

Third, drilling a hole at the proper angle requires a pretty good hand and eye - if you screw it up, you have bigger problems!

A couple hundred dollars for a machine shop is a pretty good deal compared to replacing a damaged head.
A 5/32" reverse drill bit will getter done. Use the other stud as a guide to the proper angle....And of coarse center punch it first...

Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Anyone who told you that the engine had to be pulled is looking for the long dollar

The following users liked this post:
AliensilverFXDBI (08-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Exhaust stud broken in head