Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL or FXDB? Help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:09 AM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 142 Posts
Default FXDL or FXDB? Help me out.

A little over a year has passed since my 14 FXDB and myself were destroyed by an unattentive 83 year old driver. I have since gotten finances in order and I am preparing to purchase my new scoot. Here is the dilemma(if you will). My last Harley was of the "club/thug" style and I will be doing the new one up the same. But I cannot decide between the FXDB or the FXDL. My last streetbob was being built to resemble a FXDXT/FXDX. If I go with a FXDB, I will need to add an additional front brake and swap out the rear fender. But it will already come plenty blacked out and will not need longer cable and wires to accommodate 14" t-bars. If I go with the FXDL, I will not need to worry about the rear fender or the brake issue, but there is too much chrome, the mags are not the mags I will put/keep on and I will need longer cables and wires.

I have looked for FXDLs that are "clubbed" out but there are not many photos. Any thoughts? Suggestions and opinions are welcomed.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 AM
lowend73
Tourer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

By "clubbed out" are you going to fix the motor, seat, suspension? T-bars and fairing are secondary really. If you are just looking for pictures of FXDLs with a fairing and T-bars, google or just come down to San Diego lol.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 AM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master

The engine is the last thing I am planning on doing. More concerned with the suspension.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're gonna change the bars & wheels on either bike regardless, then I would go with the FXDL....then you've already got the dual disks & full rear fender.
Cables are cheap, and so it powder coating...take the chrome parts off & have them powdered. Still a lot cheaper than buying a dual disk setup and fender for the FXDB.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 AM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
If you're gonna change the bars & wheels on either bike regardless, then I would go with the FXDL....then you've already got the dual disks & full rear fender.
Cables are cheap, and so it powder coating...take the chrome parts off & have them powdered. Still a lot cheaper than buying a dual disk setup and fender for the FXDB.
As far as pulling off the parts needed powder coating, I don't have the facilities to do so. I would need to get that issue sorted. I guess what I am really asking is which one of the two models with the needed upgrades would come closer to an FXDXT in terms of looks and performance? Wow, I'm am asking a huge noob question.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I would start with the Street Bob. If I wanted the jacked up, T-bar style bike.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

The Lowrider is the easier starting point. If you don't have the facilities to pull a few covers, you don't have the facilities to do a dual disk swap.

Cables and covers are easy and can be done affordably of you take your time. I did all my black covers for $200 piecing them together from eBay and Craigslist. And I still have the chrome parts I can sell off.

Plus you get the full fender, and the separate tach. And a 2-1 head pipe that can be de-catted and then just add a decent slip on.

Not to mention the Lowrider is also 2 up ready with a decent seat and passenger pegs installed from the factory.

Last edited by Vonswanko; 09-21-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Stangallmotor
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the blacked out look on the FXDB. Maybe install a performance machine 6 piston caliper and keep single disk upfront? You might be able to get a great deal on a left over 2015 FXDB.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

FXDL has a tach

Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No contest. The FXDL is a better equipped bike. The FXDB is capable, but plain jane. Only advantages it offers are less chrome and cheaper cost...

Quick Reply: FXDL or FXDB? Help me out.