Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 18 inch wheel not lining up

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 18 inch wheel not lining up

I just got to installing my new Southern Machine wheels on my 2010 dyna wide glide. I got the poker rims, 18-5x5 and 21-3.5. The front is good but im having an issue with the rear, im not lining up where I want to be. Im about a 1/4 inch to the pulley side which is putting the tire right tight to the belt. Anybody have any suggestions that has done this. From what I see if I try to use spacers I will have to mess with the caliper to get it over the 1/4 inch I need.
Thanks for any help

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM
AKFXD
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you have the wheel with the spacers in place and the axle tightened?
Is the tire centered in fender?
Are you using a different pulley?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Shim your pulley.. but first.. is the tire tracking the middle of your frame?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

mount it all up with no spacers. put the axle threw. then nothing is binding anywhere. put yout tire where it needs to be, in line with the pulley, brake rotor and the measure how much spacer you need

Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 AM
hetkehog
Cruiser

you have to get your pulley and rotor lined up first. They have to be pretty much where they are. you cant move them locations, then like I said make spacers for each side. either use what you have or make new, buy new ect. obviously your spacers you have aren't correct now with the wheel you have

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not sitting in the centre of the fender, about a quarter inch off set to the pulley side. I have the pulley spacer in but the pulley spacer won't get me centered, it's the brake side that I need to lose the quarter inch. Unless I'm looking at it wrong I can't change the spacer between the caliper and the rotor. I'm using the stock spacers and the pulley spacer that came with the rims..

Old 04-05-2016, 11:38 PM
AKFXD
Road Captain

A shorter axle spacer on the rotor side might help but will the caliper be able to move the 1/4" to the right and still be okay?
You could post some photos if you wanted us to better understand what the problem is.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 850 Likes on 373 Posts

Get some pics up. Those are the wheels I want to get

There was another topic on these wheels on a fat bob. Maybe your answer is in his thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 PM
AKFXD
Road Captain

How much space do you have between the rotor and the brake caliper bracket? Mine has about 1/8".

Old 04-06-2016, 12:05 AM
hetkehog
Cruiser

All I'm going to say is the hub on your new rim is probably not the same as the stock one. I'm guessing it's wider by the sound of it. As long as with the pulley and on the other side the rotor is bolted to the rim, put it up under the bike. If its for your bike it should all line up. Then with no spacers in yet, measure how much space you need and make new spacers. If you can't make new, you can buy a set with all different thinknesses but all **** aside. All it is is aluminium tube. If you need a smaller one, than what you have,just cut one down to fit. Take your time with a hacksaw and beltsander. Hope it helps. BUT..... with the pulley and rotor mounted on the rim and it won't fit or line up, I would bet it's not for your bike. IMO

Quick Reply: New 18 inch wheel not lining up