Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines slip on's + FP3 install - FP3 Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 PM
xfinite
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vance & Hines slip on's + FP3 install - FP3 Engine Temp

Hey guys - just installed V&H Twin Slash Round slip on's and an FP3 on my 2014 Street Bob (103ci). Stock otherwirse.

I took it out for a ride after installing the slip on's and had quite a bit of decel pop. So I installed the FP3 and chose the the slip on's from the list of parts displayed and then downloaded the map. I have a stock air cleaner/filter but there is no option to select this within the FP3. It just assumes everyone has a high flow filter from what I see.

After flashing the ECM I took it out for a ride and still had quite a bit of decel pop. I also felt like the bike was not running as smooth through the gears (engine felt rough). Then I noticed the heat coming off the motor seemed to be more then usual. Didn't have time to check the temp with the FP3 though.

This morning I took it out for an hour ride and the decel pop is still there. And I checked the temp at idle with the FP3 app (after running for an hour in a mix of city/highway). It always seems to be around 265-275 degrees when I first stop and check it. Then after a couple minutes of idle it goes up to 310. I shut the bike off once it hits 310 because I don't know if thats normal or not.

From what I have read the FP3 Engine temp reading is NOT the oil temp. Does anyone know if that is true? I sent them an email but obviously being Sunday haven't heard back yet.

In the mean time I reflashed the computer using the stock map and it the motor definitely feels smoother.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I am running SE slip ones and put in a K&N air filter. I selected the slip ones with a high flow intake.

Bike ran better but still had decel pop. One of their updates added a decel pop option to the tune. Make sure you have that on.

Also run auto tune. I ran it for weeks before I finally updated it to my tune. Almost no decel pop now and bike runs great. MPG even went up a little after I updated my map.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

There is no way a slip on setup is going to affect your engine temp. With a fp3 built in map, your entirely safe. You're just being paranoid.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:43 PM
100thmonkey
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same thing its fine

Old 05-15-2016, 04:37 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is cylinder temp.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM
xfinite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
I had the same thing its fine
Your bike ran rough and noticed higher temps after tuning?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM
xfinite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AGSURFR
I am running SE slip ones and put in a K&N air filter. I selected the slip ones with a high flow intake.

Bike ran better but still had decel pop. One of their updates added a decel pop option to the tune. Make sure you have that on.

Also run auto tune. I ran it for weeks before I finally updated it to my tune. Almost no decel pop now and bike runs great. MPG even went up a little after I updated my map.
I'll try the decel and Autotune. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:10 AM
100thmonkey
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xfinite
Your bike ran rough and noticed higher temps after tuning?
The first couple of runs I thought it was hot and at times a little rough but a long blast at th weekend and it feels super smooth now

Old 05-16-2016, 08:41 AM
xfinite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
The first couple of runs I thought it was hot and at times a little rough but a long blast at th weekend and it feels super smooth now
Good to know. Did you try the Decel Pop feature or the Auto Tune feature?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 AM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

With just slip-ons you don't need a tune. The closed loop system will take care of it. Some exhausts just like to pop on decel. You can maybe tune out the pop but don't feel you have to unless it's driving you nuts. Sometimes an air leak at the muffler clamp will make them pop. Xied's helped mine.

The following users liked this post:
FXDF Whiskey Throttle (06-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines slip on's + FP3 install - FP3 Engine Temp