Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear rotor off center...bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts
Default Rear rotor off center...bearings?

I noticed recently my rear brakes making noise, assumed pads were worn, so I ordered a new set. Replaced the pads and rotor, and it still was making the grinding noise. On further inspection, the inside edge of the rotor is rubbing against and grinding into the inside edge of the caliper bracket, which somehow I didn't notice when I replaced the pads & rotor. I had the rear wheel off over the winter, and before that last fall when I replaced the rear wheel bearings and tire. Since I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have the spacers or caliper bracket installed incorrectly, and the rotor is a stock bolt on replacement, I'm guessing that when I installed the wheel bearings the hub is now not centered correctly--a millimeter or 2 towards the primary side, which would move the rotor over enough to rub the bracket.

I replaced the bearings using the Pit Posse puller/installer, and followed the procedure in the service manual.

Is it even possible to install the wheel bearings off center? I don't have any other guesses, but I thought I'd ask before I pull it apart.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:10 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Could be a warped rotor. I don't know how warped it would have to be to rub the inside of the bracket, though. Lay a straightedge (something you know to be truly straight, not just a wooden ruler) on the rotor and see if you can get a feeler gauge between the straightedge and the rotor.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Did you follow Pit posse's instructions? They are wrong

Or did you install that disc brake side bearing first? Should have.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Reindeer
Supporter

I don't actually remember which side I installed first. Any reason I can't pull the pulley side bearing out, press the rotor side in further, then reinstall the pulley side bearing?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Reindeer
Supporter

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
Could be a warped rotor. I don't know how warped it would have to be to rub the inside of the bracket, though. Lay a straightedge (something you know to be truly straight, not just a wooden ruler) on the rotor and see if you can get a feeler gauge between the straightedge and the rotor.
Definitely not a warped rotor, it rubs evenly as I spin the wheel. And the old rotor wore into the bracket a solid 1/16"

Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

There's no issue with pushing the brake side bearing deeper (assuming it's not bottomed), but technically you shouldn't re-use any removed bearing because the removal method compromises them. Some methods worse than others...like Slide-hammer removal...no bueno for reuse . Non impact removal like the pit posse = less possible damage, but still wouldn't be recommended.

That being said, I'm sure people have done it

That shouldn't stop you from going ahead with the plan, you'll know if it is solved and then decide if to buy 1 bearing

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-26-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:23 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The manual states to install the primary side first (seated) then the spacer then the other bearing to the spacer.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:26 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by stilup
The manual states to install the primary side first (seated) then the spacer then the other bearing to the spacer.
The "primary" side is the brake rotor side which btw has nothing to do with the primary chain side. That is a common error people make

The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
Reindeer (05-27-2016), stilup (05-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Reindeer
Supporter

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
The "primary" side is the brake rotor side which btw has nothing to do with the primary chain side. That is a common error people make
Without having the manual in front of me to read how its actually worded, I definitely would have assumed the primary side referred to the side the primary chain drive and belt drive pulley is on. Its possible that I misinterpreted the manual and installed the pulley side first, which would explain why the rotor side apparently isn't pressed in far enough.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:08 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Without having the manual in front of me to read how its actually worded, I definitely would have assumed the primary side referred to the side the primary chain drive and belt drive pulley is on. Its possible that I misinterpreted the manual and installed the pulley side first, which would explain why the rotor side apparently isn't pressed in far enough.
That and the Pitt Posse instructions mistakenly state to press the left bearing first, which isn't always true, especially on the rear

Quick Reply: Rear rotor off center...bearings?