Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts
Default Quick oil cooler question

Does the oil in a cooler drain back to the pan when the motor is off? Just thinking that for now I'm running Syn3 but in 2k when I do my next service I was going to switch to Redline and I don't want to mix the two. I hear its near half a quart between the cooler, lines and adapter, so that's about 1/6th of the total oil volume. So I'd rather not mix that much. I expect it drains, as otherwise that's a lot of old oil to leave behind after a change, but I wanted to hear if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

It won't drain back; with my Jagg low mount oil cooler the adapter opens at 190° or so and is closed below that temperature so the lines and the oil cooler will have oil in them.

If it were my Jagg I could pull the lower hose from the cooler and get a majority of the oil to drain out of it; not sure how your S is set up but that may be one option for you...

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
cvaria (09-08-2016), Mchad (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Don`t have a cooler so I can`t answer truthfully but I do know that you can mix the two brands with no worries as long as they are the same viscosity. It`s not going to compromise your engine or warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by Qdog002:
cvaria (09-08-2016), Mchad (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,572 Likes on 3,053 Posts

I don't have the answer, but what cooler did you end up with?

As for mixing, I would not sweat a half quart, if it is truly that much. I used to, and have done oil sample analysis to death, trying to make sure. Worst case; you have a fairly decent synthetic in there and RedLine is compatible with anything. By your next change, you will be nearly 100%
Just my opinion, and I do understand. I want all of it out when i put an expensive synthetic in. I run Amsoil Premium in all my machines.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

If you went with a down tube version, it would probably drain back in as long as the thermostat passage was open.

But the oil in the cooler will mix with the rest of the oil the minute the thermostat opens... there not enough in there to cause a problem.

An option, i don't like, would be to add a drain valve in line somewhere with low movement to drain the cooler. More points of failure but, solves the problem.

I don't even sweat it because i change my oil so much and the cooler activates on every ride.

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:15 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Don`t have a cooler so I can`t answer truthfully but I do know that you can mix the two brands with no worries as long as they are the same viscosity. It`s not going to compromise your engine or warranty.
Its was already done on each oil change... all the oil does not come out. Only what can get out of the pan, the rest mixes in once the engine starts. Thats why theres a wet fill and a dry fill. People overfill their bike all the time because they are putting in the max capacity they read somewhere rather that putting in a quart or so, run briefly then test with the dipstick.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I do understand where you're coming from, Mchad. I did an experiment last season with LiquiMoly 10W-60 full synthetic and while the top end noise was basically gone I was getting heavy oil carryover out of my external breather.

When I dropped the LiquiMoly I pulled the lower return hose off the cooler and the feed hose off the adapter and blew through the feed hose; just like a funky tasting straw

I got all the LiquiMoly out of the lines and cooler core that way before I went back to SAE 50 VR1; like you, I didn't want the remains of the LiquiMoly in my engine. I'm sure I didn't need to do that when I switched back to VR1 but my middle name is overkill...

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
I don't have the answer, but what cooler did you end up with?.
Ok, its not on yet, just ordered it. I was just being lazy and not wanting to change the oil prior to my service. But it's not the end of the world to change it early - that way I'm 100% Redline. Because I'm a little nuts like that...

I'm going for an UltraCool "Reefer" in gloss black.

https://www.ultracoolfl.com/shop/har...er=gloss-black

Old 09-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
It won't drain back; with my Jagg low mount oil cooler the adapter opens at 190° or so and is closed below that temperature so the lines and the oil cooler will have oil in them.

If it were my Jagg I could pull the lower hose from the cooler and get a majority of the oil to drain out of it; not sure how your S is set up but that may be one option for you...

Well this motor is such a furnace that It'll open after about 5 minutes and stay open for an hour and a half after shutdown. Even in December. (exaggeration of course)

It was just the initial mix that was the question. As said, < half a quart isn't going to matter in the long run.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Please keep us updated on the Ultracool. Their website doesn't say how long they've been in business. There is no info on the peoples' engineering credentials, etc.

Quick Reply: Quick oil cooler question