Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Pro Retro T-sport vs FXRP Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Sunrider42
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leather Pro Retro T-sport vs FXRP Hard Bags

Other than the obvious arguments of hard bags vs soft bags, I'm looking for any real world reviews from folks who have these bags (mostly the FXRP) mounted to their Dynas. Lots of great reviews regarding the quality put into the Leather Pro's bags out there....can't find many on the hard bags.

I'm looking to add some to the bike and trying to decide. My intended use: light daily commuting, mostly carrying clothes, and a handful of long distance trips per year where they will really get used. My concerns are: security, weatherproofness, and looks since these will be left on the bike whether or not they are being used.

FXR Division FXRP Hard Bag for Dynas $1095.00

Leather Pros Retro T-Sport $659.00

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I know you want input on the hard bags, and I wish I could offer up a review on those... But I can't.

Besides the well documented build quality of the T Sport bags, I can say my absolute favorite part about these is the versatility. Versatility covers a lot when describing these bags. On and off in just 1-2 minutes time. No real hardware left behind to speak of when the bags are off. The expandability is crazy. Seriously. Going from a small, well balanced bag, to a big multi-day suitcase is worth big money to me. I really like the adjustable size. Putting looks aside, I don't see any advantage of the hard bags over the T Sport bags, but I do see advantage looking the other way around.

EDIT: To address security, I think they're probably the same. You can knife the soft bags, even if you put a small lock on the two way zippers. I am sure you can take a screwdriver to the hard bags and pop them open.

Weatherwise, I am sure the hard bags will leak at some point, and no doubt that an extended ride in the rain with the T Sport bags will do the same.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 09-16-2016 at 12:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sunrider42 (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 PM
Sunrider42
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats ok, I'm looking for real world reviews on both, especially those who have had them long term so thank you! One thing that does keep me coming back to the T Sports is the fact that when I'm not using them or only carrying very little I can compress them down, or remove them all together. I feel like the hard bags are more of a commitment in that aspect because they will probably have to be left on all the time.

The only other real concern I have about the T Sports would be fading/wear in the Phoenix sun and heat. I like the way the cordura ones look better than the all leather so I worry about them fading and eventually disintegrating here in the summer.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:41 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I can only give input on the LeatherPros T-Sport bags as well - and I echo everything that Maxxsmart says. These are super, super versatile bags.

I actually have more carrying capacity if needed than my buddies with hard bags on road glides and suchlike - but if not, then they look nice and small. I can also only attach one bag if don't need to carry much stuff at all. And of course if I don't need bags, they are off in seconds and the bike keeps the clean look.

I have the all leather version - and although LeatherPros say they aren't 100% waterproof, I have ridded for hundreds of miles through torrential rain and nothing in the bags has got wet at all.

Sunrider42 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM
JK_Showtime
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the LeatherPros FXDXT bags for about a year now and love them. As others have said you can remove them both in under a minute with no hardware left showing really. Also I like the fact that they collapse down but can expand out and give tons of room. I have mine locked on the zippers and has held up well. As far as fading from the son the owner now includes a spray that you spray on every now and then and protects them from the sun and keeps them looking new. When I actually wash my bike they look brand new. They are definitely the best purchase I have made on my bike. Second being my fairing. Here are some pics

Sunrider42 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 05:18 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, I wish I waited and get LP instead of those vikings. Expands and fits anything I need. The other day I got full face helmet - it did fit into expanded bag. Love my LP

Old 09-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

No real world review here. I spotted those hard bags about a month ago and they are on my short list. I just like the way they look much better than the soft bags.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:45 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

Just got back from a 3k mile ride from Nor Cal to Durango Co and back. I've got the LP bags. Expanded and stuffed to the max with way more than I needed. Rode through pouring rain and everying stayed dry...surprisingly. Also even though they were stuffed to the max, it didn't affect the handling of the bike.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I think people rubbing the FXRP bags are rare as hell...I've ran Dyna Defender bags for a couple years (which are essentiallly the same thing) and I love them. I had the leather pros bags for a couple years too.

I like the hardbags better.

Sunrider42 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 AM
Spartan_Wolf
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question with the leather pros. When the bags are detached which is meant to be easy, whats left on the actual bike? the metal shelves or whatever you call them that the bags sit on? if thats the case the whole detachable point is fairly moot as they don't look that good with just the brackets on.

Quick Reply: Leather Pro Retro T-sport vs FXRP Hard Bags