Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna dying at idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:50 AM
VHinch
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak

To add my 2 cents I think maybe your Throttle Position Sensor may be at fault. The computer may not know when you close the throttle so it doesn't try to adjust the IAC that first time. When you start the engine the computer runs in an open loop and preset for cold start and fast idle. It bumps the IAC a bit and ignores the throttle. That's why your problem only shows up on the first stop light. Remember your TPS spends most of it's life at closed throttle and it's just a variable resistor. So just like your old stereo volume control, it can develop a dirty spot where the reading is unreliable. Remember the scratchy volume control on that stereo? Since the bike does go to fast idle then adjusts idle later I doubt the IAC is at fault or sticking.
Thanks. I thought how extremely consistent the problem is was probably indicative of something, I just didn't know what.

One cheap and easy thing to try is to remove the air cleaner to expose the TPS electrical connector. Push the tab and pull it loose. Then use some Electrical Contact cleaner ONLY to clean both male and female contacts. Mate and unplug the connector a couple of times and finally plug it back in. That won't address the problem if the TPS is in fact bad but a common problem with HD FI are those electrical contacts get dirty and cause all kinds of problems.

CRC QD Electrical Contact cleaner at Home Depot works very well and is safe around plastic.
I'll try this first. Thanks again!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:43 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Damn confusing...getting dizzy with all this this sensor, that sensor, whatever sensor controlling fuel flow...I think I will stick with a normally aspirated engine.

First rule of wrench-turning....use the right tool and KISS

Old 11-27-2016, 08:32 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Damn confusing...getting dizzy with all this this sensor, that sensor, whatever sensor controlling fuel flow...I think I will stick with a normally aspirated engine.

First rule of wrench-turning....use the right tool and KISS
LOL... With all due respect, Fuel injection is a normally aspirated engine.

Yeah there are a bunch of sensors and we haven't even touched on the O2 sensor in the exhaust!

But once you learn what each sensor does it becomes a lot easier. I had to learn them working on cars. I'm an old carburetor guy myself. But I love the modern FI because of how it works to constantly adjust fuel air ratio. Starts no matter what the outside temp is or how long it's been sitting, and whether I'm at Sea Level or up in a mountain it runs great.

The following users liked this post:
chief08 (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:11 PM
bhaxton
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default been there

OP,
I've been down this road on my 07. I took the time to check the TPS and lots of other things. I wish I had listened to my first instinct from thirty years of working on cars and replaced the IAC first. It would have saved a lot of headaches.
It took me about 1.5 beers to replace the IAC after a couple of cases of ruling out all of the other suspects.

The following users liked this post:
fxdup (04-15-2019)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 PM
bhaxton
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Double post

Last edited by bhaxton; 11-28-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Kwest88
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problems it sounds like your having. mine turned out to be the engine temp sensor.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 PM
VHinch
Advanced

Ordered a new throttle position sensor and a new IAC. I'll do one at a time and see if that fixes it, if not I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

One cheap and easy thing to try is to remove the air cleaner to expose the TPS electrical connector. Push the tab and pull it loose. Then use some Electrical Contact cleaner ONLY to clean both male and female contacts. Mate and unplug the connector a couple of times and finally plug it back in. That won't address the problem if the TPS is in fact bad but a common problem with HD FI are those electrical contacts get dirty and cause all kinds of problems.

CRC QD Electrical Contact cleaner at Home Depot works very well and is safe around plastic.
Yes, worth trying. I've fixed problems a few times by doing this, and sometimes just by wiggling the connectors.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i got this problem aswell.. keep us updated (Y)

Old 12-03-2016, 01:15 PM
VHinch
Advanced

So the service manual says to discard the fasteners for the TPS and install new ones, but the new one doesn't come with new fasteners. Anyone know the part number for them? I can't find it anywhere.

Quick Reply: Dyna dying at idle