Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 piston rear caliper from Performance Machine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:09 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds like you rely on the rear a lot? I rarely touch the rear unless it's for a slow speed stop or until the last second of a stop just to give the front brakes some reprive. I can easily just run front brake all day without ever using rear without any issue even in slow or fast braking situations.

it's not a bad habit to learn. I ride sport bikes, and i rarely touched the rear brakes. Force of habit now. Haven't had any problems with this method on these overweight tanks.

also try flushing your brake fluid system. If there are air pockets...that can be the cause.

Last edited by bigbadpoppa; 03-25-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,826 Posts
The following users liked this post:
F86 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I run a PM 4 piston rear with stock brake pads-works fine.
Of course a brake pad company says their product works great-they are trying to sell you something. Use your head-more pistons=more surface area and pressure applied to a surface.
That said, I never, ever, lean on my rear brake. Rookies' first instinct is to slam their rear brake in a panic stop (guy cuts in front of you instantly)....guess what, it locks up and you are now at the mercy of physics at that point, unless you know how to make a motor cross move (release rear brake during stop at a specific moment for bike position movement). Always focus on the front brake, always, and keep your body in the correct stopping mode and position on the bike and practice....a lot.
That means 40-70 mph alley, parking lot, or abandoned street testing to slam on the brakes, measured from a marked point, over and over, and see what your best distance is that you can stop.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:45 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Be careful riding your fronts hard to a complete stop. You WILL tip over. Been there done that. 😬
http://www.qtmbrakes.com/americanstreet.html

Last edited by HrdNox; 03-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM
wardo5757
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by W.Glide
Anyone here running a rear Performance Machine 4 piston caliper? I'm looking for something that will help pedal effort on the rear of my Wide Glide. While I can get it to lock up, I dam near have to stand on the pedal, and i'm looking for something to reduce the effort. The front works great, but the rear is crappy. Lets here what you have to say.
I feel the exact same way about my 14 Fat Bob, would like them to be much easier to lock up, I don't like having to stand on the pedal in order to get what I want. Looking forward to your resolution.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr

Lol. That's a classic Multi!!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:49 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by HrdNox
Be careful riding your fronts hard to a complete stop. You WILL tip over. Been there done that. 😬
http://www.qtmbrakes.com/americanstreet.html
yes that's a risk but if you ride enough and practice this, it becomes a non issue on hard or complete stops. In my opinion, everyone should start off on a sport bike and take a beginners track course. Riding any bike after that is easy peasy. You'll learn the most fundamentals of riding this way with hard braking, leaning, learning lines etc. You will never be a great rider if you just ride cruisers. It's like driving a Cadillac escalade all your life. You can only do so much with it and learn so much due to it's physical restrictions.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:51 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
I run a PM 4 piston rear with stock brake pads-works fine.
Of course a brake pad company says their product works great-they are trying to sell you something. Use your head-more pistons=more surface area and pressure applied to a surface.
That said, I never, ever, lean on my rear brake. Rookies' first instinct is to slam their rear brake in a panic stop (guy cuts in front of you instantly)....guess what, it locks up and you are now at the mercy of physics at that point, unless you know how to make a motor cross move (release rear brake during stop at a specific moment for bike position movement). Always focus on the front brake, always, and keep your body in the correct stopping mode and position on the bike and practice....a lot.
That means 40-70 mph alley, parking lot, or abandoned street testing to slam on the brakes, measured from a marked point, over and over, and see what your best distance is that you can stop.

Thank you for your input PW!! And just to be clear so you know, I've been riding for over 40 years and never had a bike with this crappy of brakes front or rear. I did get my Lyndall X treame pads put on, and gave it a short ride. It does seem a little better, but I need to ride it more to let the pads get fully seated in and see how it does then. If I ain't happy after that i'll order a P.M. rear caliper.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
yes that's a risk but if you ride enough and practice this, it becomes a non issue on hard or complete stops. In my opinion, everyone should start off on a sport bike and take a beginners track course. Riding any bike after that is easy peasy. You'll learn the most fundamentals of riding this way with hard braking, leaning, learning lines etc. You will never be a great rider if you just ride cruisers. It's like driving a Cadillac escalade all your life. You can only do so much with it and learn so much due to it's physical restrictions.

Just so you know, I bought a 2006 ZX10 brand new and I ain't a beginner at riding.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:55 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by wardo5757
I feel the exact same way about my 14 Fat Bob, would like them to be much easier to lock up, I don't like having to stand on the pedal in order to get what I want. Looking forward to your resolution.

I'll sure let you know how it ends up.

Quick Reply: 4 piston rear caliper from Performance Machine.