Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 piston rear caliper from Performance Machine.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:42 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
The PM and Wilwood calipers are both 1.25" x 4. Just FYI.

Thanks Chris! That is exactly what I found, so they should put the same pressure out. I haven't looked up what the bore size of the 4 piston Harley caliper yet, but it would have to be an improvement on pressure over my 2 piston caliper even if it was a 1" bore. When Craig rides his street bob to work again i'm going to see what size his master cyl. is before I do anything.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Get his opinion on a .008" wall bushing

I will, but that's pretty thin!! I think he'll say bore it out and put in a thicker bushing.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:26 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by W.Glide
I will, but that's pretty thin!! I think he'll say bore it out and put in a thicker bushing.
I may be missing something, but why not just use the correct pistons? The .008" isn't gonna make any noticable difference in performance.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,517 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
I run a PM 4 piston rear with stock brake pads-works fine.
Of course a brake pad company says their product works great-they are trying to sell you something. Use your head-more pistons=more surface area and pressure applied to a surface.
That said, I never, ever, lean on my rear brake. Rookies' first instinct is to slam their rear brake in a panic stop (guy cuts in front of you instantly)....guess what, it locks up and you are now at the mercy of physics at that point, unless you know how to make a motor cross move (release rear brake during stop at a specific moment for bike position movement). Always focus on the front brake, always, and keep your body in the correct stopping mode and position on the bike and practice....a lot.
That means 40-70 mph alley, parking lot, or abandoned street testing to slam on the brakes, measured from a marked point, over and over, and see what your best distance is that you can stop.
We don't "slam" on the brakes. We "squeeze" the lever while "pressing" the pedal.
You are right about the front brake doing the majority of the stopping though.
I'll stop here.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds like a lot of effort for little gains. Could care less how bad my rear brakes are. Machining, bore, etc just for a device that serves minimal gains. my rear brake is just for decoration or when my right hand is fatigue at most. To each their own. Plenty of other things to upgrade versusar rear brake to gain that minimal extra stopping power. But heck...if your ocd , and have time, crack open a beer and go for it.

and yes...your old, 40 bikes. Maybe u need that foot brake. My young thunder grip is still healthy and strong. 40 bikes and still relying on rear brake...we have an expert here.

Last edited by bigbadpoppa; 04-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:27 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I may be missing something, but why not just use the correct pistons? The .008" isn't gonna make any noticable difference in performance.
Pistons? we're talking about axle hole size in the 06-07 caliper arm (1") vs 08-later caliper bracket (25mm)

Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Pistons? we're talking about axle hole size in the 06-07 caliper arm (1") vs 08-later caliper bracket (25mm)
Ah! That makes more sense. Gotcha. Being a brake topic, my mind jumped automatically to the piston bores.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:37 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Sounds like a lot of effort for little gains. Could care less how bad my rear brakes are. Machining, bore, etc just for a device that serves minimal gains. my rear brake is just for decoration or when my right hand is fatigue at most. To each their own. Plenty of other things to upgrade versusar rear brake to gain that minimal extra stopping power. But heck...if your ocd , and have time, crack open a beer and go for it.

and yes...your old, 40 bikes. Maybe u need that foot brake. My young thunder grip is still healthy and strong. 40 bikes and still relying on rear brake...we have an expert here.
If you're not using your rear brake, you're giving up around 30% of your total stopping power. Anybody can squeeze/press the living **** out of their master cylinder and lock up their brakes. The finesse of proper brake balance and modulation is much more difficult and rewarding. It also pays dividends to have better parts in reaching that goal.