Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust/wtf thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
cerelious
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Another exhaust/wtf thread

So I buy my bike from a brother. Had a Sawicki Speed on it. I take it out for a joy ride (I mean, why the not?!) Get home, and notice that the muffler is hanging a little low, I examine and see that the welds to for the bracket broke. The misses even asked me what the loud @$$ pop noise was. We weren't riding 2 up.

take it back to the local indi whom it was purchased through and they installed, had to send it back for warranty. Well, turns out, this isn't the first time. The first pipe did exactly this. Sent it back, they were sent a new pipe. Then the exhaust bracket itself cracked in two, contacted Tyler, he sent a new bracket (beefy bracket). Well, I take her out and then resulted pic happened. Getting warrantee again. So if we get sent a new pipe, it'll be the third set on this bike. This is where I note that I have done searches high and low at reviews and comments about the company or product, and to be honest, haven't come across much for negatives.
I haven't noticed any overly excessive vibrations, the front exhaust wasn't hanging overly close to the front tube, and I'm sure the indi would have caught something wrong with the bike. It's just odd that the same bike would go through three same model pipes and have them all issues in the exact same area. So I guess I'm asking, could there something wrong with the way the engine is sitting? Is there a positive way to test the front mount without removal? Or am I searching for a ghost, chalk it up to this pipe isn't for this bike and try a new exhaust (I already know which one if so)

P.S.please don't take this a bash or trash about Sawicki. From what I'm told, Tyler has been communicative, and obviously stanks by his work since he is warrantying. The pipe sounded great, felt good.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Sunrider42
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I literally just decided on the Sawicki, but obviously don't want to have to deal with these kind of issues. Best of luck.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cerelious
See the nice square edges where the bracket separated from the pipe, that's a weld flaw called lack of fusion. Not your fault at all, but it does make me wonder about the rest of the welds on that pipe.

a example of lack of fusion

: Mike

Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 PM
cerelious
Tourer

Thanks for the insite Nemo. Guess I will have to see what happens when the shop calls.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Seems there are really only two possibilities here... Either the pipes are poorly designed/built, or they are poorly installed.

Either way, a change in the process is called for.

I think I would be finding a good local TIG welder and have those mounting tabs gusseted and then find a good speed shop to install them. (I would install myself, personally, but I know that's not an option for everybody.)

Oh, and verify the front engine isloator isn't bottoming out.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-21-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 AM
cerelious
Tourer

I agree, something has to change. Had to send in the pipe in order to warranty, so no longer on my possession. I'll be home tomorrow night, I will inspect the engine mount (BTW after probably to much research, it seems the best way to check that engine mount is to just pull it.....would like a more sure way of testing if there is one). Thought I would hear from the shop today with some kind of update, no such luck, so that's discouraging.

given the history of the pipe, and some insight on those welds, I am leading heavily towards a new pipe (bassani RR3)......any one have any good advice on how to break to the accountant that I need an extra 850 to materialize?! Lol

Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 AM
cerelious
Tourer

I agree, something has to change. Had to send in the pipe in order to warranty, so no longer on my possession. I'll be home tomorrow night, I will inspect the engine mount (BTW after probably to much research, it seems the best way to check that engine mount is to just pull it.....would like a more sure way of testing if there is one). Thought I would hear from the shop today with some kind of update, no such luck, so that's discouraging.<br /><br />given the history of the pipe, and some insight on those welds, I am leading heavily towards a new pipe (bassani RR3)......any one have any good advice on how to break to the accountant that I need an extra 850 to materialize?! Lol

Old 03-22-2017, 06:43 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cerelious
I agree, something has to change. Had to send in the pipe in order to warranty, so no longer on my possession. I'll be home tomorrow night, I will inspect the engine mount (BTW after probably to much research, it seems the best way to check that engine mount is to just pull it.....would like a more sure way of testing if there is one). Thought I would hear from the shop today with some kind of update, no such luck, so that's discouraging.<br /><br />given the history of the pipe, and some insight on those welds, I am leading heavily towards a new pipe (bassani RR3)......any one have any good advice on how to break to the accountant that I need an extra 850 to materialize?! Lol
$850? Easy..Tee Shirt$...Make some that read; ICE ICE Baby on the back. Should sell well out that way.

Hope it works out for you.Pipes have gotten ridiculously expensive.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm no welder (Just spent my childhood helping my old man who is one) but those puny little welds don't seem adequate enough for an exhaust mount.

Disclaimer: Again, I am no welder

Old 03-22-2017, 05:35 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've head of people having problems with Sawiki pipes. Now, I do not personally have experience with a Sawiki pipe and thats good he's standing by his word and product by replacing it, but there comes a point when I wouldn't want to f**k with it anymore.

I would personally remove the pipe from the bike and immediately insert it into your nearest local trash receptacle. Im a thunder header guy personally, but get yourself a TBR or a SPF if you're into the custom pipe thing. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Another exhaust/wtf thread