Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna hydraulic clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:36 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Dyna hydraulic clutch.

l'm looking into fitting a hydraulic clutch off a CVO onto my 014 Lowrider. Looking through a parts catalogue, l cant see any reason why it cant be done.
Has anyone tried it and am l overlooking anything?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 AM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've done it on my '01. For your '14 you should be able to find parts even easier. You'll need to use the new Clutch Pushrod assembly (replaces oil slinger, release plate, adjuster rod and center pushrod) which isn't available for the 5-speeds anymore, but for a 6-speed you could still find it when I was searching. I had all the links to the service .pdfs, but now the links are invalid. I'll try to find them when I have a couple minutes. There was a .pdf that explained everything you needed for the six-speed hyd conversion. You may have already found that.
-G

Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Is there a benefit to doing this?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Don-T
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ

I wonder about this too. My last bike had a hydraulic clutch and this one has a cable. I prefer the cable myself.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Really can't think of any. Hydraulic MAY be a bit lighter lever effort. But I think having the ability to adjust the clutch with the cable actuation outweighs any benefit that may be derived.

I've got a LRS that uses cable and a UC that uses hydraulic. Can't notice any difference in lever effort. Sure would like the ability to adjust the hydraulic to engage a bit sooner.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon42
Really can't think of any. Hydraulic MAY be a bit lighter lever effort. But I think having the ability to adjust the clutch with the cable actuation outweighs any benefit that may be derived.

I've got a LRS that uses cable and a UC that uses hydraulic. Can't notice any difference in lever effort. Sure would like the ability to adjust the hydraulic to engage a bit sooner.
If any bigtwin rider wants a "lighter clutch lever," all they gotta do is buy a burly EZ clutch pull device. Best $22 you'll spend. Easy to install too.
That would be cheaper and less problematic than the complexity of going "fluid."
But, ultimately, it's the OP's money. They can waste it any way they see fit. 🤔

Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I was investigating a juice clutch just for the symmetry of the hand controls. Still considering it, but not for this season.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

If any bigtwin rider wants a "lighter clutch lever," all they gotta do is buy a burly EZ clutch pull device. Best $22 you'll spend. Easy to install too.
That would be cheaper and less problematic than the complexity of going "fluid."
But, ultimately, it's the OP's money. They can waste it any way they see fit. 🤔
^^^^^ This.

Just did it to mine. Feels just as good as the jap hydro clutches Ive had.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:12 PM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I was investigating a juice clutch just for the symmetry of the hand controls. Still considering it, but not for this season.
This was part of the reason I did it on mine too. That and I was in the process of returning the covers to wrinkle black and found a new in box wrinkle black hydraulic cover for a steal on ebay and I was also putting the risers on so needed longer cables, so I just bought a hydraulic line instead of a cable.
I also installed the heavier clutch diaphragm spring. The pull is nice and smooth and the same level of effort as the cable with the stock spring, so overall I'm happy with it.
At the end of the day, not sure I'd bother doing it again.
On a 5-speed, had to buy the 6-speed clutch pushrod assembly and shorten it by something like 3/8" because i couldn't find the correct rod for the 5-speed conversion... kind of a pain, but a fun little project.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 PM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Not really, it's more a case of doing because l can.

Quick Reply: Dyna hydraulic clutch.