Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls on a 2017 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM
13HDFLHR
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forward controls on a 2017 Street Bob

How difficult is it to upgrade to forward controls on a 2017 Street Bob? Is the removal of the primary absolutely necessary?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
SASK_RT
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is not absolutely necessary....There are threads on here on how to cut the shaft from behind the primary to allow you to get it out of the way.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...g-primary.html

Last edited by SASK_RT; 06-23-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 06-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I couldn't get the shift arm off of mine without pulling the primary on my 15 Fxdb or 17 lrs. I know others have, but there just wasn't enough room for me on either of my bikes. Pulling the primary really isn't that hard at all. You're definitely going to want a service manual, and obviously follow the torque specs. You'll need the primary locking tool from HD, but it's only about 20 bucks.
on my Fxdb, I tried just installing the forwards with the old shift arm, and left the shifter shaft (the one that goes through the primary) there. It worked, but the factory shift arm is shorter, so it was almost impossible to find neutral. I had to slightly rev the motor, and could only find neutral from second.

The he way I see it, if you can PAY somebody to do something, you can LEARN how to do it. There's a good video on YouTube on disassembling the primary, I think it's on a road King, but it will be very similar to what you're doing.

Aside de from hand tools, you'll only need the primary locking tool, and a t-70 torx socket. I found the t-70 at advanced auto but nobody else seemed to have it. If you're mechanically inclined, you could probably have the whole thing done in a hour. I'll see if I can find the YouTube video I was talking about.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Ok it is on an ultra classic, but it's very similar. Don't follow the torque specs in the video, get a service manual instead. And don't forget to zip tie the chain tensioner before you remove it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6csD905VM

that should be the link to the video.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

You can do this without cutting.....or removing the primary.......I chrome capped the outer shaft stub and locked the inner shift arm with a special bracket....there are pictures at this thread....let me know if you have any questions, glad to help

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...versation.html

Last edited by sparkalot; 06-24-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 AM
davethej
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have a 2017 Street Bob and just added the HD forward control kit that comes with the cap for the shaft and the bracket for the shift arm, but I have run into another problem I am hoping someone here and can help out with. The new linkage and shift arm on the forward controls seems to be just a tad short. The shift arm hits against the front of the primary case and I have trouble shifting to 2nd gear about 70% of the time. All other gears work great, 2nd is the only problem. It is definitely hitting the primary as I can see it when I operate by hand. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust anywhere...hoping someone has an idea before I head up to the dealership.

Thanks

Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by davethej
hi,

i have a 2017 street bob and just added the hd forward control kit that comes with the cap for the shaft and the bracket for the shift arm, but i have run into another problem i am hoping someone here and can help out with. The new linkage and shift arm on the forward controls seems to be just a tad short. The shift arm hits against the front of the primary case and i have trouble shifting to 2nd gear about 70% of the time. All other gears work great, 2nd is the only problem. It is definitely hitting the primary as i can see it when i operate by hand. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust anywhere...hoping someone has an idea before i head up to the dealership.
thanks
You have to use a longer shift rod with the 2005 and earlier kits other wise the front shift lever will hit the primary when you up shift. There's a good variety of shift rods out there made by Harley Davidson and others, just find one with the stronger Heim joints that fit 2006 and later Dyna's.

Harley Davidson Dyna Gear Shift Linkage
https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...cted=category3

eBay Dyna Gear Shift Linkage
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lh_titledesc=0

Originally Posted by ws6 formula
i have the harley davidson polished stainless steel gear shift linkage p/n 33815-06 on my bike, it is 14.5 inches long.
(fits '06-later dyna models equipped with forward controls)