Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are +06 Dynas so popular if they are so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:01 PM
AntonZ1
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet money my '13 Wide Glide with single rotor ABS stops faster and safer than any dual disc non-ABS 1000 lb. behemoth with bolted on suitcases, hood/windshield, crash bars, highway pegs, stereo/amp/speakers, cup holder, GPS, recliner with arm rests and so on and so forth ........

The following 2 users liked this post by AntonZ1:
perki48 (06-23-2017), slippin_jimmy (02-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Really? Your comparing Apple's and oranges. A 600lb bike vs 1000lb bike isn't even close. Dyna for dyna, dual disks will stop faster and fade less from heat build up. Its not stopping power so much as fading with heavy use. 2up on the highway my single disk sucks.

The following users liked this post:
bigal51 (02-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Except for repeated usage such as in canyon carving is see no need for more braking than my single disc Wideglide gives me. If you can lock em up with a single how could dual be any better.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:20 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't think anyone will debate that single disc is okay. Dual should be standard on all bikes in a perfect world where manufacturers weren't as concerned with the bottom line of profits.

It's quite simple, the designer of sportbike focus on performance braking on the track hence 6 piston big brake pads etc.... that's what sells these bikes. Stopping and handling is more important, they aren't selling these bikes cause of the glitter parts that harley has.

Harleys don't put this as top priority and they make u pay for it. Their focus is more show....less go.

The following 2 users liked this post by bigbadpoppa:
AntonZ1 (06-23-2017), cvaria (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:21 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

warp's werewolves inbound:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...vs-dual-5.html

fact of the matter... duals = better control. end of story. let's put the brakes on this rubbish before it goes down the laser-guided werewolf hole.

must be brake week: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...e-upgrade.html

Last edited by cvaria; 06-23-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 PM
AntonZ1
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Really? Your comparing Apple's and oranges. A 600lb bike vs 1000lb bike isn't even close. Dyna for dyna, dual disks will stop faster and fade less from heat build up. Its not stopping power so much as fading with heavy use. 2up on the highway my single disk sucks.
Obviously it's not an even comparison BUT trying to claim a 6 piston is better than a 4 piston without considering specifications is also "apples and oranges". Besides, dual discs are fugley. I can stop on a dime with ABS single disc so you're not convincing me without a real world test. It's just all BS at this point.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by AntonZ1
Obviously it's not an even comparison BUT trying to claim a 6 piston is better than a 4 piston without considering specifications is also "apples and oranges". Besides, dual discs are fugley. I can stop on a dime with ABS single disc so you're not convincing me without a real world test. It's just all BS at this point.
it's not bs, you just have your opinion, and that's just fine.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
it's not bs, you just have your opinion, and that's just fine.
Truth ^ Because the stock dual disc on my LRS could NOT stop on a dime, before I modded. The turn this has taken on brakes on these is absolutely based on ones history. Someone used to brakes not necessarily a cutting edge superbikes (where Im from) but even a bike like a FJR and ride these things will say these things brakes are barely adequate. Where others mainly brought up on HD will think theyre fine. And alot are usually the ones buying big engine kits and engine mods with no thought of brakes, suspension, etc.

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (02-28-2021)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:11 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobr0
Anytime I see someone asking for advice on buying used bikes I typically see people praising the early twin cam Dynas. The 1999-2002 units had forged cranks, timken bearings and CV Carbs. They also supposedly have better, lighter frames and are "better built" with "fewer electronics".

I've seen quite a few people say the 5spd trans is stronger then the 6spd and the extra gear ultimately doesn't do a whole lot.

So add in the fact the older bikes cost less, one would think they'd be the most popular to own and build. However, almost every Dyna I see is a +06 motorcycle. Questions on this form, build threads, all the bikes in the "Club Thread" and of course all over Instagram, Facebook and even in person ("real life").

The newer Dyna's 6spd and 49mm Forks are a dead give away and dominate the landscape.

Are the values of the forged crank and timken bearings just dramatically over stated? Does the benefit of the 49mm forks and updated cam tensors out weigh the perceived benefit of the older rotating assembly? Have people finally learned to embrace EFI tuning and reliability?
To me, it's about knowing what you truly want and what it's gonna take to achieve that. First HD I had was 100HP XL; that was what I wanted at the time. After that, I wanted the best Dyna I could get for quick touring on a Harley. (I don't compare "other" brands) At the time, it was the FXDXT with extensive and expensive mods. Now, it's more sedate touring so I have a mildly hopped up FXDF...tried the FLH's but they're definately not for me. So, a few avoidable least best models aside, there's a HD for what ever you want, if you know what it is your after

Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

the 06 and up dynas are so much better riding than the 05 and under
the frame and front end are much more stable

six speed is such an improvement over 5 speed
anybody that says they would rather run a 5 speed at 95 mph for an extended time is full of sh#t

the cam tensioners prior to 06 sucked

people talk about the fxdx like it is magic or something but most of them have been completly rebuilt at a great cost or are just worn out suspention that needs to be rebuilt

The following 3 users liked this post by hell hound:
darmahman (02-23-2021), perki48 (06-24-2017), slippin_jimmy (02-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Why are +06 Dynas so popular if they are so bad?