Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a purchase 06 wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:17 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering a purchase 06 wide glide

Hello all,

After not riding for many years (late teens-early twenties, and now in late forties), I have been thinking about getting back in the saddle. Currently driving about 150, roundtrip, per day, for work (construction site) which is mostly turnpike (75 mph). Thinking I could save some gas on 2 wheels, and I do miss riding. The kids are grown and out of the house now, so why not?

Saw this ad, and want advice/opinions on the choice for the above mentioned application, as well as questions to ask when looking at it, as well as specific things to look for (be wary of).

It looks to be very low priced, almost to good to be true, which raises a flag, but still...

Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide 2006 - $2000

2006 hd dyna wide glide
engine displacement (CC): 1450
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
2006 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide, low miles, new battery, saddle bags, perfect condition, runs perfect, garage kept, 1450cc. Call or text. Asking $2000.

Attached Thumbnails Considering a purchase 06 wide glide-2006-wide-glide.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,545 Likes on 811 Posts

Probably one of two things: Either someone who needs a couple of grand RIGHT NOW for some reason, or it's too good to be true.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 974 Likes on 737 Posts

Post the link to it.
This time of year there's a ton of scams on Craigslist. You should respond to the ad and let us know what they say.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

Agreed, it's probably too good to be true, and I did respond to the ad ...both with a call and text. No response yet. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Still, providing that it is not a scam, would it be a good choice for the application stated in the original post?

What things problems are specific to this model that I should be able to spot, if I know to look for them?

Just looking for advice, should they respond and we meet up to look it over.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 974 Likes on 737 Posts

That bike should do what you're looking for, although you may want to get a another seat. Everybody's comfort level is different so you might be fine with it.
Problems with the 06 were stator bolts that came loose unless fixed in advance, either welded or replaced with an 07 and up part.
The IPB's (inner primary bearing) were known to go bad. Most were replaced by the dealer even if out of warranty.
The market value for that bike around here is about $6-7000, so if it's a real deal you have room for repairs if needed.

The following users liked this post:
journeymanjohn (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:56 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Just by looking at the picture it looks like a super glide, not a wide glide.

I'd look elsewhere. 2006 dyna were a big problem year with that inner primary bearing. even though the dealer replaced them it didn't fix the problem. you would have to bolt up a primary from a different year to avoid the problem.
also like the other dude said, those stator bolts would back out. you can put in a different stator or weld over the top of the stock ones.

but if you're serious about riding again, I'd keep shopping. this one sounds fishy.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:46 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

I was wondering about that myself, if it was really a WG , that is. I'm definitely no expert on HDs, but all my google research showed that year WG with a different rear fender and I never found that color scheme in the WG.

They never responded to me, so I'm guessing it's a fake ad.

I had a co-worker that pranked another by listing the others car on craigslist at a ridiculously low price. Dude kept getting calls for days about it. Pretty funny IMHO. Something like that may be going on here, I guess.

And it does sound very fishy...

I didn't know about the primary bearing or stator bolts. Had read some threads about cam issues with the 88ci though. Thanks for the heads up all. Was that primarily an issue on all the 88ci motors, or just that year? Something to do with the six speed maybe? Didn't engine size change in '07? Primary will still interchange though?

And since it was mentioned... super vs wide. A super is typically a better handling ride? Less rake being the main difference, other than fork spacing and tube size?

Last edited by journeymanjohn; 07-09-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 944 Posts

2006 Dyna's are a bastard year bike. When you look up parts for Harley's it always say EXCEPT 2006 Dyna...I'd stay away

Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

That looks like a 35th Annv. Super Glide Custom to me.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

Thanks, I really like that styling, a lot!!

Too bad that year has so many problems. Besides, I doubt the ad is on the up and up.

Would still like some answers to my questions in post #7, if anyone has the answers, please.

Also, is a switchback basically a superglide with running boards (footboards), easily removable saddlebags, and removable windshield?

Quick Reply: Considering a purchase 06 wide glide