Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a purchase 06 wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 733 Likes on 406 Posts

The issues were for the most part specific to '06 Dynas. Not necessarily deal breakers, but stuff to be aware of.

Wide Glide has more rake, narrower front wheel, and forward controls stock. A little harder to handle at slow speeds.

Your comments on the Switchback are basically correct.

The following users liked this post:
journeymanjohn (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
2006 Dyna's are a bastard year bike. When you look up parts for Harley's it always say EXCEPT 2006 Dyna...I'd stay away
Except for engine displacement, transmission case and primary case, and final belt-drive ratio, a 2006 Dyna is basically the same as 2007 up, and aftermarket parts for these years should fit fine.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:05 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually got a response.

Wants to send photos and info to my email. Said no calls or text as they are at work.... I texted anyway.

I'm suspicious of opening photos, myself, from those I don't know. Isn't that about the only way to infect your computer from a web based email address?

Anyway, I asked for a phone call before I send an email address, and also for the VIN.

I still have big suspicions, as the area code doesn't match the ad listing city.

Advice on how to safely proceed would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by journeymanjohn

Wants to send photos and info to my email. Said no calls or text as they are at work.... I texted anyway.

I'm suspicious of opening photos, myself, from those I don't know. Isn't that about the only way to infect your computer from a web based email address?

Anyway, I asked for a phone call before I send an email address, and also for the VIN.

I still have big suspicions, as the area code doesn't match the ad listing city.

I don't have any detailed advice, but I'd be very careful about a low-mileage 2006 Dyna for 2K. I was very interested in a low-priced custom turbo V-Rod, but with a little checking around (I basically just did a google search using the description), it turned out that the "seller" had just copied someone elses real add, changing the price, contact information, and payment method.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,547 Likes on 812 Posts

I would get the VIN and see if you can do some kind of a check on that. Then, only deal in cash, and only after you see the bike in person and verify that the VIN is the same that he gave you and that it matches what is actually stamped on the frame and what's printed on the title.

Like others have pointed out, the bike isn't a Wideglide but a Superglide Anniversary Edition, which was only sold in 2006. The fact that it's not what he listed in the ad could mean that it's a scam, OR that the seller doesn't know what he's doing, hence the low price.

The area code doesn't bother me so much, lots of people move and keep their old phone number.

I would still proceed with caution, and not let any money leave my fist before I was able to check things out in person.

Good Luck.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:01 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

Agreed, with both the above post.

Definitely will be an "in person" sale. Will drive to the location should all else check out, definitely won't be alone, or unprepared for "issues" that may arise.

It could be someone who does not know exactly what they have, or as mentioned above, a changed ad from elsewhere. I've been doing some searches for ads that may have been changed. Not finding any yet.

I would think a simple call should be easy enough for the other party to make, should it be real, especially since the original ad stated "call or text".

Just waiting on that VIN, and a call.

I've definitely got my scam radar on.

Back to the searches....

Old 07-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,547 Likes on 812 Posts

Agreed, with both the above post.

Definitely will be an "in person" sale. Will drive to the location should all else check out, definitely won't be alone, or unprepared for "issues" that may arise.

It could be someone who does not know exactly what they have, or as mentioned above, a changed ad from elsewhere. I've been doing some searches for ads that may have been changed. Not finding any yet.

I would think a simple call should be easy enough for the other party to make, should it be real, especially since the original ad stated "call or text".

Just waiting on that VIN, and a call.

I've definitely got my scam radar on.

Back to the searches....

Let us know how it turns out in the end.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:50 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I don't have any detailed advice, but I'd be very careful about a low-mileage 2006 Dyna for 2K. I was very interested in a low-priced custom turbo V-Rod, but with a little checking around (I basically just did a google search using the description), it turned out that the "seller" had just copied someone elses real add, changing the price, contact information, and payment method.

Excellent advise!! I have essentially found the same photo in two ads, both called wide glides, and each for $2000. Very different wording in the ads.

One in Fort Smith https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/mcy/6206895700.html and an Indiana contact number.

And the other in North Carolina https://onslow.craigslist.org/mcy/6208747810.html and a Florida contact number.

I'm certain I haven't found the "real" ad yet, and imagine there are more fakes that I didn't locate.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is....

Thanks for all the info/enlightenment on the particular model year, as well as advice on avoiding the scam.

I think I will hang out on your site still, and probably ask some more questions as I shop, if that's ok with y'all.

Thanks again, for everything!!

Old 07-10-2017, 05:29 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

In my case, the situation became rather transparent when I said I wanted to see the bike in person. The fake seller replied that it was currently in Afghanistan, but would be shipped to me upon receipt of payment.

I did manage to find the original real seller, and called him. He had no idea what had been going on, and was pretty unhappy about it. We both reported the fake ad, and soon after, it disappeared.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:56 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

It is sad to think that there are people out there who fall for these scams. They must, or else I would think they wouldn't be so prevalent and eventually die out.

I didn't even want to email. May be more of a phishing virus to get bank account log in info and such.