Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Dyna 2006 also first fuel injected Soo few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 PM
turbomustang84
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Dyna 2006 also first fuel injected Soo few questions

This bike runs like new and has had all maintenance done by same dealership since new and also is a one owner bike .

I am of the belief that a well maintained bike that runs like new that has had around 4000 miles put on it per year and owned by one person and still looks and rides like new is most likely a safe investment but is there anything about the 06 twin cam I should look out for such as failure points etc. or if I continue maintenance should I be ok , I am planning a rather long trip next April and new tires and brakes are a for sure replacement but unlike my last Harley a 2000 1200 Sportster I have yet to find a loose bolt or anything to worry about and as much as I have loved my different sporty,s over the years this Super Glide is as comfortable a highway cruiser as I have ever owned other than my Honda GoldWing which bored me to pieces

Old 07-15-2017, 08:15 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

06's had inner primary bearing and stator/rotor issues. Both are fixable. The stator/rotor can be updated to the 07 version and Baker makes a well-regarded replacement IPB.

Either or both may have already been addressed by the previous owner. Check the service records.

If you have to open up the primary, consider changing the ratcheting chain tensioner for either a manual or spring loaded unit.

Last edited by cggorman; 07-15-2017 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OakMountainRider (08-27-2021)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Early 06 also originally had 8 degree injectors and are suggested to be changed to the 25 degree ones. Check the part number on your injectors.

SixDD (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 04:29 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I love my 2006 Dyna Street Bob. I have had it for about a year and it has given me no problems. Granted I have only put about 2,500 miles on it - I had some health issues so I was down for a while. But anyway, aye, great bike, I absolutely love it.

Edit: It was a garage kept one owner bike I bought on Ebay for $6500 (had it shipped down to me via Keyboard shipping). It had 10,050 miles on it when I got it - still had its original tires. I'm just now getting around to putting new tires on it. The previous owner put in a 2007 stator and he mentioned something about a baker bearing - but I did not know about these 2006 "issues" when I bought the bike. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep thinking about it. I've even made a couple trips to Lakeland Florida and Greenwood SC on it. The stator might leave you stranded but I dont think the IPB will.

Just ride it, have a blast, and if it breaks...fix it. Simple.

Last edited by SixDD; 07-16-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Early 06 also originally had 8 degree injectors and are suggested to be changed to the 25 degree ones. Check the part number on your injectors.

What is the benefit of changing to 25 degree injectors over the 8 degree injectors?

Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SixDD
What is the benefit of changing to 25 degree injectors over the 8 degree injectors?
They mention drivability, but the direct complaints were surging and misses either during warm-up or while cruising when hot.
M-1185
SERVICE BULLETIN
M-1185 February 20, 2006
FUEL INJECTOR/CALIBRATION CHANGES FOR 2006 1450cc
BIG TWINS
®
Purpose
It has recently been determined that the 8° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on 2006 1450cc Big Twins may cause cold start and/or driveability problems on some motorcycles.
In the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, the 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on CVO 103 cu. in. (1690cc) motors will be installed on all production Big Twins beginning on or around February 13, 2006.
Additionally, Harley-Davidson will provide for the installation of 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors on those motorcycles where use of the 8° fuel injectors (part number 27625-06) is determined to be directly responsible for cold start and/or driveability problems. See REQUIRED DEALER ACTION.
NOTE
Due to changes in the manufacturing process, the part numberof the 25° angle cone spray fuel injector is changing from 27709-06 to 27709-06A. This fuel injector also will be stamped with the words “25 DEG” for easy identification. See Figure 1.
Motorcycles Affected
Only 2006 1450cc Big Twin model motorcycles that exhibit cold start and/or driveability problems directly related to use of 8° angle cone spray fuel injectors (including those subsequently equipped with P&A Screamin’ Eagle 1450cc or 1550cc Performance Kits).
Required Dealer Action
1. Adhere to the flow chart in Figure 2 when handling customer complaints regarding cold start and/or driveability problems on affected motorcycles.
2. If the flow chart indicates that the fuel injectors are the source of the problem, check the part numbers stamped on the fuel injectors. While standing on the left side of the motorcycle, the part number on the rear fuel injector can be easily read with the aid of a flashlight.
3. If required, remove both 8° angle cone spray fuel injectors following the procedure in the applicable 2006 Service Manual. Install 25° fuel injectors, either part number 27709-06 or 27709-06A.
Figure 1. Fuel Injector Part Numbers
f2447x8x
Old Style 8° Fuel Injector
New Style 25° Fuel Injector
NOZZLE END
IMPORTANT NOTE
In the interest of preserving customer safety and satisfaction, always check for outstanding recalls whenever any motorcycle is brought into your dealership for either maintenance or service.
©2006 HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
ROUTING SERVICE MANAGER
SALES MANAGER
PARTS MANAGER
LEAD TECHNICIAN
TECHNICIAN
NO.1
TECHNICIAN
NO. 2
TECHNICIAN
NO. 3
TECHNICIAN
NO. 4
RETURN THIS TO INITIAL HERE
M-1185 2 of 2
NOTE
Always replace both 8° angle cone spray fuel injectors on affected motorcycles. Never mix 8° and 25° fuel injectors on the same motorcycle.
NOTE
If the part numbers on the fuel injectors are rubbed off or otherwise unreadable, count the number of orifices or holes in the injector nozzle. The 8° angle cone spray fuel injector has just three holes, while the 25° has six. See NOZZLE END in
Figure 1.
4. Update the ECM calibration. For those motorcycles equipped with P&A Screamin’ Eagle 1450cc or 1550cc Performance Kits, refer to h-dnet.com for the correct calibration P/N.
Credit Procedure
Complete a separate warranty claim for each vehicle serviced. Reference Service Bulletin M-1185 in the “Comments” or “Notes” section and be sure to include the VIN of the vehicle on which the service was performed. Fill in the rest of the claim as follows:
Performance calibrations require pre-authorization from Technical Service to be considered for warranty coverage unless listed on the SWR.
Upon receipt of the properly completed claim, you will receive the labor credit shown above.
Figure 2. Cold Start/Driveability Flow Chart
Correct condition or install compatible components.
Are cold start or driveability problems still evident?
Check the following:
● Fuel has the recommended octane rating and is not contaminated.
● IAC operation.
● Spark plug condition.
● Engine is configured correctly (with the appropriate air
cleaner and exhaust).
● Vehicle configuration is supported by the correct calibration. Refer to Calibration information on h-dnet.com.
Does the vehicle pass inspection?
YES NO
Check fuel pressure. Is fuel pressure between
58-62 psi?
YES NO
Replace the 8° fuel injectors with 25° fuel injectors.
Update ECM calibration.
Check part numbers stamped on fuel injectors.
Are 8° or 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors installed?
8° 25°
Refer to SYMPTOMS
DIAGNOSTIC in
Digital Technician.
Problem
resolved.
YES NO
Applicable DT Code
Refer to SYMPTOMS
DIAGNOSTIC in
Digital Technician.
Applicable DT Code
ENTRY FIELD ENTER
Claim Type PRD, MC
Problem Part No. 27625-06
Detail Part No. 27709-06 or 27709-06A
Quantity of Detail Part No. 2
Description 25° Angle Cone Spray
Fuel Injectors
Labor Code 5388
Time 1.10 Hours
Customer Concern Code 9203
Condition Code 5388

Last edited by Jay Guild; 07-16-2017 at 07:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay Guild:
SixDD (07-16-2017), tunafisher729 (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 02:12 PM
tunafisher729
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
06's had inner primary bearing and stator/rotor issues. Both are fixable. The stator/rotor can be updated to the 07 version and Baker makes a well-regarded replacement IPB.

Either or both may have already been addressed by the previous owner. Check the service records.

If you have to open up the primary, consider changing the ratcheting chain tensioner for either a manual or spring loaded unit.
how much labor is involved or how difficult is it to change out the stator/rotor on the 2006 dyna? Is this a possible DIY job? thanks

Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tunafisher729
how much labor is involved or how difficult is it to change out the stator/rotor on the 2006 dyna? Is this a possible DIY job? thanks
This is most definitely a DIY.... however you will need:
Large torque wrench. (borrow/buy)
Tool to lock the chain/sprockets. (build from a 1/4 x 1.5 flat steel bar)
New inner primary mounting bolts.
New inner primary bearing (you have it off, go ahead and replace it)
New primary gasket set.

It would also be a great time to really check your belt, compensator and if you're considering moving to forward controls.

tunafisher729 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by archergodwin
This is most definitely a DIY.... however you will need:
Large torque wrench. (borrow/buy)
Tool to lock the chain/sprockets. (build from a 1/4 x 1.5 flat steel bar)
New inner primary mounting bolts.
New inner primary bearing (you have it off, go ahead and replace it)
New primary gasket set.

It would also be a great time to really check your belt, compensator and if you're considering moving to forward controls.
You might also want to look in to swapping that 32T pulley to a 30T pulley while you have most of the primary off.

tunafisher729 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 PM
turbomustang84
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Promise you I'm not a complete idiot but I was so excited about the bike and actually knew the correct year was 2005 but for some reason I was determined to type 2006 .
I know the big difference is 5 speed vs 6 speed but do the other suggestions still apply for the 2005 as the 2006 the only mod they did other than cosmetic was a Vance and Hines Pipe and a Dynotune which was given to me on a flash drive which was done as well as all service at the place where it was purchased Chicks HD in Albuquerque until it was bought buy Thunderbird HD then all service was done there as the original owners were meticulous about maintenance but always paid for what they had done rather than doing it myself.
I know it has used synthetic oil since new every 3000 miles and always a Harley product .
in my last Harley which was a Sportster 1200 I just used Royal purple because I buy it by the case for my turbo Mustang Pontiac supercharged GTP and due to it being the oil of choice for most Ford Taurus SHO owners being Castrol GTX I still buy Dyno oil for my wife's SHO

so I will continue using Synthetic in the Dyna but should I keep it to a HD product or as long as I keep it Synthetic should that be ok I get the Royal Purple a bit cheaper but not enough to make any real financial gains so should I just keep it running with what he has been using ?

I do use the highest octane available as premium is recommended in the book but all of my cars are so no big deal.

thanks so much for your help in advance .

Quick Reply: First Dyna 2006 also first fuel injected Soo few questions