Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoulder or Lane Split?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 PM
DG422
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shoulder or Lane Split?

Not sure where to post this, but I am just curious about what others think and do. Here in New York it is illegal to split lanes/white line, but many of us do it for a variety of different reasons, I personally prefer to not overheat... Sometimes i see guys blow by on the shoulder of the highway but I think about all the crap and debris that is there and do not think it safe (irony) so I prefer to split lanes. Neither option is safe or legal here, but it is done and maybe lane splitting will be made legal in New York one day. Anyway, lets hear it...

Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,402 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Groan. I'm sure Sarah will want to know what kind of oil you use when splittin lanes.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 489 Likes on 328 Posts

Lane splitting.

Shoulder? Thats asking for trouble. So much crap on the shoulder and a good way to **** off people and cops.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

I've been to a city, therefore I am qualified to respond.

The answer is you must do what your heart tells you to do as long as it does not harm any innocents and you get away with it.

Best of luck and hold down the eastern front and we'll keep our end up on the western front

P.S. God Bless America on this fine Friday and lets kick some NK behind! Go Team America, *&^% yeah!

Attached Thumbnails Shoulder or Lane Split?-god-bless-america.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DG422
Neither option is safe
Really ??? been splitting lanes here in CA for over 30 years and i feel lane splitting is necessary to surviving my daily commute. Please clarify specifically why it isn't safe, obviously I am mistaken and after 30 years of doing it and believing it's kept me safe and alive, i really want to know and understand where my thinking went wrong.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:21 PM
DG422
Cruiser

I have been doing it for half as long as you have, and so far I am ok. However, with drivers distracted by all sorts of **** that we do not pay attention to (CELL PHONES), changing lanes without looking or signaling, shitty roads and so on, the danger is there, the vast majority of us are lucky to be able to avoid it. I have had many drivers intentionally try to squeeze me when I am splitting. I just do not give a **** any more and the bottom line is I am going to get around you anyway, so go ahead and waster your effort... And yeah, my commute to and from work would be at least 30 minutes longer without lane splitting. I see guys blow buy on the should (cruisers and sports) at over the speed limit and I see all the **** and I am amazed they do not go down.

Originally Posted by freebaggin
Really ??? been splitting lanes here in CA for over 30 years and i feel lane splitting is necessary to surviving my daily commute. Please clarify specifically why it isn't safe, obviously I am mistaken and after 30 years of doing it and believing it's kept me safe and alive, i really want to know and understand where my thinking went wrong.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM
freebaggin
Tourer

Ok, to answer your question, lane split before taking the shoulder but there are plenty of times that I've had to quickly jump into a shoulder as an escape route. All the distractions that you mention are real but we must make "awareness of our surroundings" the most important tool we have as riders.
Obviously in CA lane splitting has not been outlawed and more people are used to it and I can see how it would be alot more of a challenge in other states. I just know that lane splitting has been a life saver for me and with so many bashing it lately (usually out of state riders that have no experience or understanding on how to properly do it) I tend to get a lil testy on the subject.
To anyone that thinks it's unsafe or dangerous or stupid, just don't do it, it's an easy solution.
Ride safe OP!

Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 PM
freebaggin
Tourer

Double post...

Last edited by freebaggin; 08-11-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 PM
briharley
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Lane splitting, I'm not a fan of riding on the shoulder. Lane splitting is legal here, and I just feel like on the shoulder is where all the crap is and knowing my luck I will ride right past a CHP when I'm on the shoulder. No reason here to do it. I will say that I believe some people split lanes very aggressively. Personally, I am not like that. Yes I like to split, but Im not doing double or tirpple the speed of traffic. If there is room for a car to get over, I assume they will. If its stacked and no where for them to go, I feel better. I have seen some videos online of people hauling *** when lane splitting and even watching it makes me anxious. A couple buddies have gone down from lane splitting too fast. "I was splitting lanes and they just pulled right out in front of me". Granted, it is the cage's fault but by now I feel like people should recognize people are going to do that. If the opportunity is there, assume they are going to take it.

The following users liked this post:
8541hog (08-15-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM
DG422
Cruiser

yeah man, we have to take care of ourselves and be responsible for our actions and the consequences of such. If we do not pay attention, then we have to assume all responsibility.
Peace.

Originally Posted by freebaggin
Ok, to answer your question, lane split before taking the shoulder but there are plenty of times that I've had to quickly jump into a shoulder as an escape route. All the distractions that you mention are real but we must make "awareness of our surroundings" the most important tool we have as riders.
Obviously in CA lane splitting has not been outlawed and more people are used to it and I can see how it would be alot more of a challenge in other states. I just know that lane splitting has been a life saver for me and with so many bashing it lately (usually out of state riders that have no experience or understanding on how to properly do it) I tend to get a lil testy on the subject.
To anyone that thinks it's unsafe or dangerous or stupid, just don't do it, it's an easy solution.
Ride safe OP!

Quick Reply: Shoulder or Lane Split?