Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb cough issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

It's obvious the 48 is too rich at idle. I would go back to the 46 (or even 44), and look at the accel pump. Of course, if you didn't change the intake seals the first time around, do it this time, since an intake leak throws everything off.

The following users liked this post:
2000sportyC (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Dennis Lett
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CJD197
It's obvious the 48 is too rich at idle. I would go back to the 46 (or even 44), and look at the accel pump. Of course, if you didn't change the intake seals the first time around, do it this time, since an intake leak throws everything off.
This, but more likely a 45. Clean the carb, throw a rebuild kit in, change your gaskets, including the intake, readjust your float height. If you have to have it at more than 3 turns out with a 45 after all that, you have an intake leak.

The following users liked this post:
2000sportyC (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Bliss01
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has a random cough every now and then. This is a great thread for me, thanks!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:34 PM
2000sportyC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Such great advice!

So I tore the whole carb apart and cleaned everything. Sprayed out the jets and basically every little crevice. Took a small tooth brush and scrubbed the inside. All the parts and rubber looked pretty good. I went ahead and bought a whole rebuild kit with new flanges for the intake manifold and seals. The previous owner put in the Sportster needle so that's all done. I put the 46 jet back in as well. Turned the mix screw out 2 1/4 turns. Also checked the plugs, they were black but I know that 48 idle jet was dumping fuel. Cleaned those up as well.

Went out because I was curious and threw the carb back on. Hooked it all up real quick and she fired up instantly. So the hard start was definitely gone. I let it idle with the choke and followed the factory warm up procedure. There was one cough and it was pretty loud and stalled the bike. Started it back up and sprayed some carb cleaner around the seals and the rpm dropped a bit but not enough to stall out. So as most of you said, it's for sure the intake seals. Ill take everything back off tomorrow and rebuild/reseal it all. All in all I'm going to be out $45. My buddy ended up having a allen manifold tool so that's a plus.

I will do all of that tomorrow then come back and let everyone know how it goes. You guys have been awesome and I really appreciate all the responses.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:21 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Never mind. That procedure was for Shovels.

Last edited by IronAss; 08-22-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Mine is like an old cigarette smoker, it just has to cough first thing as it is warming up...and especially in a tight-right turn, and I can get a few decel pops occasionally...and only when it is cold. It is ok otherwise.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 PM
2000sportyC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Finished the job.

I just got done fixing the bike today. Some parts took longer than others to come in.

I replaced the intake seals and also discovered that my choke cable was broken at the lever so I ran to my local HD and bought a new one for $14!

As you can see from the picture the seals were more than needed. I buttoned it up and set the idle along with the mixture screw. Ended up at 3 turns out with the idle set at 1000 rpm. I got one cough on the first start up and one more on the initial ride and that has been it. I let it sit for a while and came back to it. It fired right up and I went for another ride and it didnt cough at all

I did however forget to disarm the security system and sat there for a minute stumped as to why it wasn't starting

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I hope the issue is gone for good but only time will tell. Thanks for all the advice.

Attached Thumbnails Carb cough issues-img-3263.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2000sportyC
I just got done fixing the bike today. Some parts took longer than others to come in.

I replaced the intake seals and also discovered that my choke cable was broken at the lever so I ran to my local HD and bought a new one for $14!

As you can see from the picture the seals were more than needed. I buttoned it up and set the idle along with the mixture screw. Ended up at 3 turns out with the idle set at 1000 rpm. I got one cough on the first start up and one more on the initial ride and that has been it. I let it sit for a while and came back to it. It fired right up and I went for another ride and it didnt cough at all

I did however forget to disarm the security system and sat there for a minute stumped as to why it wasn't starting

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I hope the issue is gone for good but only time will tell. Thanks for all the advice.
Glad to see you found a solution what makes threads like these well worthwhile ..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:28 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

My coughing is becoming more and more common? I will be re reading this thread to help my situation.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I wasn't getting a cough problem like you describe but a backfire and decel popping issue that I chased back to the rear intake flange seal. It took a couple of tries to get it all back together with no leaks. I found this technique in a forum discussion and it works like a charm: Put it all together including the air cleaner back plate and carb finger tight only. Then walk all the fasteners down snug tight together then set the final torque.

A set of long ball-end Allen wrenches are a must for a Harley toolbox. Cut off the short end of a regular 1/4 inch Allen wrench to get at the left side intake flange screws.

Last edited by skinman13; 08-29-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Carb cough issues