Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have experience with front fork braces

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM
stonereflex1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have experience with front fork braces

how do fork fork braces work

Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had one on my streetbob for years. It's worth the investment in my opinion. They eliminate any lateral flex in your risers, making for a more uniform dampening action.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By risers I am referring to your fork lowers.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:27 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

A fork brace takes out the slack tolerance in the front forks; a fork brace removes the softness and natural fork flex inherent; it removes the 'compliance' and 'softness' of the front.

I'm running +2" over Wide Glide fork tubes, the CCE fork brace removed that compliance and flexing softness of the front; bar input is immediate, the smallest bar input has an instant reaction...

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
F86 (01-15-2018), SixDD (01-15-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I use the Superbrace. The biggest difference I've noticed is when going around corners on highways I don't have to counter steer as hard. It keeps the wheel angle to the ground parallel to center of gravity on the bike. A brace and replacement front engine mount that keeps the center of gravity in place while cornering has made higher speed corners much easier to navigate for me.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I use the Superbrace. The biggest difference I've noticed is when going around corners on highways I don't have to counter steer as hard. It keeps the wheel angle to the ground parallel to center of gravity on the bike. A brace and replacement front engine mount that keeps the center of gravity in place while cornering has made higher speed corners much easier to navigate for me.
I noticed the same in corners. I was used to the natural flexing of the front forks so when I added the fork brace I found my muscle memory had me turning in too quickly. Once I got used to the new sensitivity of the front I was able to carry even more corner speed, this thing is on rails

Old 01-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

In hindsight, I should've used FXST/FXDWG sliders on my front end, in order to be able use a fork brace (nothing available for FLST sliders), as the original 41mm fork design has to be about the vaguest, numbest hydraulic fork on the road due to the top tree not actually clamping the tubes.

I did run the SE brace on my old '94 Sportster & the difference was amazing. Think about turning & the bike's already setting up & responded to the most minute of bar inputs.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Like the OP, I also wondered what they were and how they worked. New to Harley but not to riding. Thing is I’m not afraid of twisties and a fairly aggressive rider at times. I don’t feel flex or the things mentioned the brace is supposed to fix.

Maybe I’m not as aggressive as I think? Full stock ‘08 FXDL here..stock shocks suck, yes. Are the braces for fully modded front ends?

I’ll never pass on learning something new on this forum. Help me understand.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I put a fork brace on my Kawasaki ZR1200 and it's a whole different bike. It would wallow like a pig in the corners without it. Also, it likes to pop wheelies with ease and the front end is more solid when it lands down.

Last edited by SixDD; 01-15-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:11 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TejasJeff
Like the OP, I also wondered what they were and how they worked. New to Harley but not to riding. Thing is I’m not afraid of twisties and a fairly aggressive rider at times. I don’t feel flex or the things mentioned the brace is supposed to fix.

Maybe I’m not as aggressive as I think? Full stock ‘08 FXDL here..stock shocks suck, yes. Are the braces for fully modded front ends?

I’ll never pass on learning something new on this forum. Help me understand.

I'm trying to come up with the right word to describe this; I think 'forgiveness' might be an accurate word to use. With my Wide Glide properly set up with upgraded front suspension, Night Dragon tires, Predator front mount, a solid top stabilizer, and an accurate vehicle/engine alignment it handled extremely well, nothing you could really look to say, 'that's a problem', under aggressive cornering or in straight line stability.

With the longer fork tubes I always suspected there had to be a certain amount of flexing of the front which would lead to that 'forgiving' quality which creates a bit of softness in the handling which muscle memory adapts to; you don't even notice it's there, but the forks are flexing creating a forgiving softness in the handling.

When you install a fork brace that forgiving softness disappears; you didn't even realize it was there, until it's gone Now any bar input is instantaneous, the bike moves exactly where it's pointed like it's on rails. Those subtle mid-corner corrections you didn't even really notice are gone, the bike is firm and planted and holds her line allowing you more corner speed.

A fork brace adds a decided improvement to handling and gives a sense of solid tracking in both corners and in straight line stability. If they have a downside, it's only one. There is a small perceived loss of riding 'smoothness'; that 'forgiving' quality is gone, that soft flexing has been removed and the ride feels 'sharper'; but in a very positive way.

Having your ride set up properly makes a world of difference; the fork brace is like turning it up to '11'

Edited to add:

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 01-15-2018 at 09:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
Cotten (11-01-2018), F86 (01-15-2018)

Quick Reply: anyone have experience with front fork braces