Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Exhaust with a Passenger

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust with a Passenger

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2015 wide glide. The previous owner had scuffed up the exhaust so I am looking at my aftermarket options. My wife likes to ride as a passenger, so she is concerned with the noise level (she says he doesnt want to wear ear plugs). I prefer loud and aggressive.

So far I am leaning towards the Vance and Hines Big Shots. Anyone have any experience with these pipes and having a passenger? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for aftermarket pipes that would be good for a passenger?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you don't want to be wearing earplugs don't take it on the highway and keep your rides short to avoid permanent ear damage.

And as far as exhaust go two into ones are normally a little more on the quiet side from what I've noticed.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:01 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Solina_Steve
Hey guys, I just picked up a 2015 wide glide. The previous owner had scuffed up the exhaust so I am looking at my aftermarket options. My wife likes to ride as a passenger, so she is concerned with the noise level (she says he doesnt want to wear ear plugs). I prefer loud and aggressive.

So far I am leaning towards the Vance and Hines Big Shots. Anyone have any experience with these pipes and having a passenger? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for aftermarket pipes that would be good for a passenger?

Thanks!

That's a deal breaker in my world if you want to ride pillion with me. It's not the exhaust that will destroy your hearing, it's the wind noise; fact.

I run V&H BSS's with baffles removed and DK Custom W158 TTI's installed. The sound with the TTI's is a deeper resonance, and the bright V&H overtones are removed; the TTI's increase exhaust gas velocity and scavenging, and improve low and mid-range torque.

The BSS's have a crossover so they behave more like a 2 - 1 rather than a 2 - 2 exhaust.

Buy the exhaust you want, and make ear plugs mandatory for both you and your pillion...

The following 4 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
F86 (03-26-2018), rideon (03-28-2018), rossWG (03-27-2018), Solina_Steve (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate

The Vance and Hines Pro Pipe I think may also be a good option, but I do like the look of the big shots more....

Old 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Solina_Steve
The Vance and Hines Pro Pipe I think may also be a good option, but I do like the look of the big shots more....
That's exactly why I chose the BSS's as well; looks They just look 'right' on a Wide Glide. They flow with the lines of the bike, with the full coverage heat shields and billet tips they've got a classy look, and once set up with TTI's have a nice deep thump to them.

An image from last spring:

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 03-26-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: ...wrong image... duh!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:30 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
That's a deal breaker in my world if you want to ride pillion with me. It's not the exhaust that will destroy your hearing, it's the wind noise; fact.
100% true statement... My RR3 is not quiet, but all I hear is wind noise (once at speed) if I don't have plugs in (which really doesn't happen, unless it's a quick ride for the purpose of listening to something on the bike). The higher sound frequency range created by rushing air can do a lot of hearing damage in a much shorter span than the deeper frequency of a loud pipe...

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

BS are fine for passenger . I have my wife saying its warm at stop lights but thats about it. For noise its the same as rider. It aint any louder since your still not far back enough as a passenger.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

If your wife is going to complain about how loud a HARLEY is, she has no business being on one. Leave her at home And enjoy YOUR ride

Solina_Steve (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04
If your wife is going to complain about how loud a HARLEY is, she has no business being on one. Leave her at home And enjoy YOUR ride
haha I dont know if this is good advice or bad advice....

Old 03-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
That's exactly why I chose the BSS's as well; looks They just look 'right' on a Wide Glide. They flow with the lines of the bike, with the full coverage heat shields and billet tips they've got a classy look, and once set up with TTI's have a nice deep thump to them.

An image from last spring:

This is a really nice wide glide! When I was shopping I was looking for the gloss black with flames, however I found a deal I couldnt pass up on a denim black with flames. I am strong leaning towards the BSS pipes now. I just need to decided between black and chrome. The chrome looks perfect on your bike, but I a thinking the black may look good on mine since i have the denim paint.

TinCupChalice (03-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust with a Passenger