Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to me at 1K

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cost to me at 1K

Coming up on 1k on my street bob. There's a list of maintenance items to be done at that milage. Most of it is checking torque but also includes "Adjust steering head bearings", "Check torque of front/rear wheel spokes", and oil changing in 3 holes. Dealer wants $400+tax to accomplish this. Most of it is labor. I could do the fluids, filter, gaskets, and o-rings for about $100.00. I know nothing about adjusting the steering head bearings. According to Manual, that needs to be done every 10K and the spokes need to be checked ever 15K. Dealer says if periodic maintenance isn't documented by them if there's a problem related to those items it could void the warranty.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 AM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope, not true. Harley likes to rope people into bringing their bikes to them and them alone to make more $$$. That and sell T-shirts. That's all that's about. Ever take an automobile to the dealership for warranty service? Did they make you show proof that all maintenance was done by them before they would do the work? No, they didn't. I've never had a problem with that at all. Don't let them cajole you into letting them do all the maintenance on your bike for the big $$$.

The following users liked this post:
Huggerbugger (06-06-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

In the event of an expensive warranty claim, you may need to prove maintenance was conducted, but it doesn’t have to be by the dealer. Keep records/receipts for fluids/filters, and make a simple log indicating you completed all the items listed on the maintenance charts, and when (date/miles). That will cover the “proof”. However you said you have no idea how to do some things, so you either need to learn, or bring it somewhere else to have it done. Don’t skip stuff you don’t know how to do, as it’s your life that may depend on proper maintenance...

The following users liked this post:
Huggerbugger (06-06-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:49 PM
soth767676
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can purchase a hardcover or even epub of the service manual for you bike online or did what I did... if you local area has a big bike event take your bike to it, they might have a vendor or two that is a Harley certified tech to do the check for you. I had my 1k done with fluids changed at 919 miles and for half the dealership was going to charge. He even gave me the checklist of things done for my record in case of a claim....

Old 06-03-2018, 02:07 PM
carguy1959
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

You didn’t say if you adjusted your clutch or not. That should be done everytime you pull your derby cover.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM
gleam
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by soth767676
You can purchase a hardcover or even epub of the service manual for you bike online or did what I did...
Where can you get the electronic version? I asked about it at the parts counter and it went nowhere, like they don't exist or aren't available.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by gleam
Where can you get the electronic version? I asked about it at the parts counter and it went nowhere, like they don't exist or aren't available.
HD doesn’t sell PDF service manuals. Any you may find are illegal copies.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:16 PM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have both hard copy and a pdf (Illegal or not) which has the same exact words. It's available on the internet https://ownersmanuals2.com/harley-da...s-manual-66867. There's also a service manual here, https://coodie.com/harley-davidson/2...e%20Manual.pdf

Unfortunately I may have to forego the extra $300.00+tax this time around. Not that I don't have any tools and know-how but, I lack the experience for the steering and tools and experience for the spokes.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
I have both hard copy and a pdf (Illegal or not) which has the same exact words. It's available on the internet https://ownersmanuals2.com/harley-da...s-manual-66867. There's also a service manual here, https://coodie.com/harley-davidson/2...e%20Manual.pdf

Unfortunately I may have to forego the extra $300.00+tax this time around. Not that I don't have any tools and know-how but, I lack the experience for the steering and tools and experience for the spokes.
it’s never a bad idea to get the 1k service done at the dealer and on the books, esp. if you’re not confident in the process. It’ll give you time to familiarize yourself for the next time. Once done, nothing says you can’t do the remainder of the service next time and bring it to a shop for the stuff you can’t/aren’t comfortable doing yourself... Just pay the hourly rate for the time spent.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

time to learn ... every motorcyclist should learn to do basic maintenance and safety checks. Part of owning any motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Cost to me at 1K