Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator mount review

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts
Default Predator mount review

I am in no way affiliated with Predator motor mounts. I paid full price for mine.

2007 Street Bob with a FL (Heritage) front end. Between 65,000 and 70,000 miles. The first 50,000 miles were rock solid, but after that it started getting squirrley. I put up with that for too long and then finally installed a Predator front motor mount with the built in stabilizer.

First of all, I found the mounting process to be pretty straight forward. I'd almost call it easy. For me the pain in the *** was getting all the wiring around the voltage regulator re-routed after I finished the mount installation. For some reason I'm kind of brain dead when it comes to wiring. Anyway, install went well, I didn't even put it up on the rack, just did it on the side stand. The instructions don't say anything about removing the oil filter, but I'm glad I removed mine. I'm sure it made the installation easier.

I've ridden about 450 miles since I installed it last Sunday, with various road conditions. High speed, low speed, straight line, tight twisties, and long, high speed sweepers. Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but the bike now tracks like it's on rails. I've now scraped the boards a few times, and just previous to the install this bike would get WAY unstable long before I got it leaned over that far. Excellent now. Also, previously the worst instability would be on long, high speed sweepers. There is a section of I-25 between Santa Fe and Pecos that has a 4 mile stretch of just that. High speed curves where you are leaned over for quite a while. Last time I rode that section with that bike, I was hard pressed to maintain 55mph, and it was a hair raising experience. Yesterday, I took that section at 75mph, and could easily have gone faster if I wanted to.

If anyone is thinking about doing this mod, I say go for it.

The following 6 users liked this post by Crazy:
Davdoodles (07-25-2018), gleam (06-10-2019), JayStronghawk (06-10-2019), rauchman (07-24-2018), roadmutt (07-23-2018), Shop rag (07-23-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:28 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for the review, I’m looking at replacing mine, coming up on 50 k and I can’t see out the mirrors at any speed, been that way since I bought it (2yrsago) so I know the mount is done....

Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I installed one a couple years back, is a good mount. although did not notice any difference in vibration ( which was not an issue for me) I like the idea of the stabilizer on the mount.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
I installed one a couple years back, is a good mount. although did not notice any difference in vibration ( which was not an issue for me) I like the idea of the stabilizer on the mount.
I only noticed a small vibration difference. The main thing for me was to tighten up the handling again.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:31 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Nice review. I have one as well. Installed about 10k. Tightened up handling nicely. Vibes moved to a slightly different rev zone, but not offensive. Highly recommended.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior
Received 1,594 Likes on 642 Posts

Recently installed one on my '98 Dyna. Easy install, noticed a very slight increase in vibration but the improved handling more than made up for it. Also checked my vertical engine alignment after installing new mount. Mine was spot on. Dont overlook this step, a new upgrade motor mount with an engine out of alignment is a waste of time and $$.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 PM
TheBeardedScotsman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy
I am in no way affiliated with Predator motor mounts. I paid full price for mine.

2007 Street Bob with a FL (Heritage) front end. Between 65,000 and 70,000 miles. The first 50,000 miles were rock solid, but after that it started getting squirrley. I put up with that for too long and then finally installed a Predator front motor mount with the built in stabilizer.

First of all, I found the mounting process to be pretty straight forward. I'd almost call it easy. For me the pain in the *** was getting all the wiring around the voltage regulator re-routed after I finished the mount installation. For some reason I'm kind of brain dead when it comes to wiring. Anyway, install went well, I didn't even put it up on the rack, just did it on the side stand. The instructions don't say anything about removing the oil filter, but I'm glad I removed mine. I'm sure it made the installation easier.

I've ridden about 450 miles since I installed it last Sunday, with various road conditions. High speed, low speed, straight line, tight twisties, and long, high speed sweepers. Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but the bike now tracks like it's on rails. I've now scraped the boards a few times, and just previous to the install this bike would get WAY unstable long before I got it leaned over that far. Excellent now. Also, previously the worst instability would be on long, high speed sweepers. There is a section of I-25 between Santa Fe and Pecos that has a 4 mile stretch of just that. High speed curves where you are leaned over for quite a while. Last time I rode that section with that bike, I was hard pressed to maintain 55mph, and it was a hair raising experience. Yesterday, I took that section at 75mph, and could easily have gone faster if I wanted to.

If anyone is thinking about doing this mod, I say go for it.

Good to know. Need to get install a new mount this winter and was looking at these. Thanks for the awesome review.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:44 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I've been super happy with mine, and have never experienced the "clunk" that seem people seem to have... I'll second what others have said here though... Despite what their own website says, the benefit is in handling, not in vibration reduction (not that mine is bad, but I really don't think it was reduced).

Old 06-10-2019, 04:55 AM
Daedalus
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Old thread, but still valid IMO...

I just removed mine again. It indeed improves handling of the bike, but I noticed quite an increase of side-to-side vibrations. Suddenly my battery cover started to constantly go awol. My stainless exhaust started to vibrate sideways in such a way I fear for its durability. I don't mind the vibrations myself all that much, but I fear some areas of the bike are not build for them.

I realize this mount, because of its dog bone that fixates the rear wheel, is not able to dampen any sideways movements and passes them on straight to the frame. Maybe the sideway vibrations should not be there in the first place, so maybe there is something wrong with the balancing of my crankshaft or it exposes something else that is wrong with my bike. But until I found that quirk, I'll use the old one again.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior
Received 1,594 Likes on 642 Posts

Have you checked your rear mount?

Quick Reply: Predator mount review